Difference between a fisherman and a good fisherman

tangled

A lot of people assume that a fisherman who has been fishing a long time will be an expert. To me that confuses experience with expertise.
It's confusing 10 year's experience with one year's experience 10 times.

BobP

The weighted nymph is something Ive been meaning to try. I do use a ptn on a new zealand style sometimes but I do question whether Im a bit too much in love with the tungsten beaded version and i need to up my nymph game.
Why? What you are doing catches fish. Don't you like catching fish?

eddleston123

I've been fishing for some 60 years and I can't class myself as a 'good' angler.

I am a bit of a one trick pony in the respect that I fish mostly running waters with a dry fly. The few streams that I fish, I know like the back of my hand. Put me on a new river and I'd probably struggle.

A good angler today, will be a lot more 'technical' than me, and will be a lot more diverse in their approach to varying conditions.

My point is this - Anglers who say that they have fished for 50/60 years are not necessarily 'good' anglers. They, probably like me, catch fish, but not as many those who may have fished for a substantially shorter time but have a higher level of technical expertise.

Douglas

three rivers

I think it's a combination of things. Most good fishermen I know have some (if not all) of the following:

Watercraft
Observation
Technique
Attention to detail
Imagination

You can do very well with any three out of five, but all are useful. Good tackle helps as well, but it is probably the least important aspect and certainly not vital. Unfortunately all the above are either instinctive or must be cultivated. You can't buy them, so there's no short cut.

Wee Jimmy

I think some people may be deluding themselves here, you don't need to be an expert to chuck a bit of fluff at a fish. :D
Anyone with legs and feet can kick a ball but not everyone can do it the same as Lionel Messi...

suzuki15hp

I think the best fishermen are the ones that learn something every time they go fishing. If you are not learning something when you go fishing, you will never lift yourself above the ordinary.
This is my view.
2020 is my 8th season fishing Lough Corrib on a regular basis, from the start to the end of the season, and I'm only part way through an apprenticeship of indeterminate length.
Every single time that I push my boat out, or join someone else in their boat, the sense of anticipation and joy is always there.
The exchange of stories and observations with fellow anglers always provides something new to take on board. And if you have an open mind, a willingness to learn from your own experiences and those of other anglers, and are a keen observer of the environment you play in, you will benefit from an education of immense value and enjoyment.

LukeNZ

..if at first you don’t succeed, go home and take up another pastime 😳

Said, all the other fly fishers on the river; unselfishly..!

🙃

SirHarryLewis

understanding the trouts environment , A reasonable amount of knowledge about entomology and good river-craft Skills . Enjoying your time on the water and most importantly being responsible by taking all your rubbish home with you .
Entomology is interesting. Do we use it though to measure the species or the size? As far as I can tell, most evenings its either olives or sedges on my river. ...Or its those bloody fishermans curse fly. And so many flies then seem to be a variation on one of those. Got a good book on this?

Latest posts