Difference between stock and wild browns

grandad keith

As much as possible is the answer to that one. And down here in chalk country I'd say it is working rarther well given the number of natural browns being caught and returned.
What is a natural brown Bob ? If you mean one grown on from a spawning in that river that wasn't my point, I don't know how many genetically pure stocks of brown trout are left in the English rivers.
Certainly in some Lochs, Tarns and Loughs I'm sure there are some.I would be more sure of Grayling strains , certainly in the Yorkshire Ouse system, but again they have been planted all over the shop.

BobP

Given the "plasticity" of brown trout which is their ability to live in a wide variety of habitats and to tolerate a significant range of pH levels and it seems to me an almost infinite variety of colourations then I have my doubts about the genetic purity of the species in any given river system.

I consider that if a fish is born in a river and grows up to maturity then as far as I am concerned that is a wild fish.

Cap'n Fishy

I consider that if a fish is born in a river and grows up to maturity then as far as I am concerned that is a wild fish.

Aye, so, back to the original question: how do you tell apart a wild fish from a stocked fish?