Disappearing marabou!

11foot5

I was looking through old fly boxes today and noticed that a lot of my old cormorants had “missing” marabou, roughly half of it missing and particularly the thin tips. These flies are approximately twelve years old. I know it could be a bug of some sort but surely it wouldn’t stop at the tips etc?! Does marabou rot over time? The other flies in the box are not effected, just the ones containing marabou. Thoughts / experiences please!!

kevind62

Trust Member
It could simply be dust mites. They're very common and found in all households regardless of how clean you think you are. If you have dust, you have dust mites. I've had things stored for long periods that I haven't looked at in years that have feathers on them. When I did come across them for one reason or another, the feathers almost seemed to turn to dust. These mites eat them from the inside out mostly. Strange little creatures.

11foot5

Dust mites! Thanks for that I must start some research immediately!! It certainly sounds plausible but the other flies are fine (I’m nearly sure, must make a closer inspection!!) Thanks again Kevin

jeffhirst

Clothes moths, these small moths have exploded recently. Get the mothballs out.

wobbly face

Could just be wear and tear, getting bashed by just being in a fly box despite not being used. Other flies rubbing against them, accidental plucking as you remove another fly. Marabou fibres on their own are very fragile so over time they will thin or break off.

Rob Edmunds

I'm of the same opinion as Kevin.....mites...

I had a box of hares ears and one of damsels completely eaten away....

I decided to bin the fly, disinfect the boxes with bleach and leave them empty for 3 months before using again.. .

Wish you could still get the old fashioned moth balls....they were great for putting in your tying cabinet to deter the little buggers

11foot5

Thanks guys for all the replies. I’ve checked the rest of the flies in the box and they seem fine! I was wondering if I’d put saliva on the marabou (something I do sometimes prior to varnishing to keep the wing laid back out of the way) and this in some weird way affected the marabou over time. But I think the mites are the most likely culprits.......