Disasters during fly tying.

K.Cutt

The old knocking over the varnish seems to be one of the usual suspects.
I spilt a bottle of varnish and it went all over the computer keyboard so I got one of those little plastic bottles that only a needle comes out of the point so no more spills.Have had the hook in the finger and foot but the worst was when I had to take the dog to the vets with a hook in his paw as he likes to sit at my feet when Im tying .Bought a new pair of tungsten tipped scissors and on the 1st day dropped them on the wooden floor and the tip broke off.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
I have since found out that fly tying is capable of producing tantrums that would outdo a five year old who wasn't allowed to play with his favourite toy. Just recently I was in the closeing stages of finishing what in my opinion was one of the best flies I would have tied so far, the concentration was on a level with an astronaut landing on the moon. then while trying to trim various bits of feather I hear the usual sound of kerplonk :eek: as the bobbin holder fell onto the vice pedestal and that sick feeling in my stomach, I had cut the thread by accident. Then uncontrollobaly my feet banging on the laminate flooring screaming in disbelief as the whole thing unravelled. I was then greeted by shouts from downstairs 'whats all that racket up there' then the embarrassement sets in and you realise you have just behaved in a quite unacceptable manner in relation to your age and social status. I will be careful in future.:rolleyes:

arkle

If you're right handed, then when the thread cutting/breaking "thing" happens, simply use the pad of the first finger of your left hand, which is resting on the vice to press against the whole side of the fly to secure it whilst the right hand picks up the bobbin holder (a telescopic magnetic pick-up stick works wonders for this) & then simply put on some more turns & re-start. Or use a pair of hackle pliers to secure the head whilst you do the same.

If like me, you try to keep everything you need within easy reach, then make sure that hook boxes cannot get kicked when you or someone else (Mike) moves around to reach things !

brownsville

Thanks for reminding me John. :eek:

While swapping chairs in front of John's bench I caught a multi-compartment box of hooks with my foot, you can guess the outcome.

denzil3009

I do all my tying in a very small space. So when F**K ups happen they are usually really big ones.

Knocking over the varnish used to be a common one for me. I used to buy the lureflash, and the cap for it is huge. So if you knock it over you loose 3/4 of the bottle. But the surface that got covered on is now better protected against scratches ( At least that's what i told the missus:eek:mg:)
Now I buy Sally Hanson, and because the cap is a hell of a lot smaller you spill almost none if your fast enough :D

Another one.... I keep all of my hooks in one box that has lots of different section. I had just fulled it up with 700 new hooks of all different sizes and type. But because i tie in such a small place i can barely move, so i left it open. BIG mistake, turned round to reach a cape from my fly tying bag and bang! All of the hooks went on the floor. I picked up all that i could see and didn't say anything about it to the missus. Spent the next few days finding a new hook every time i went to tie a new fly.

This is the mad jumble of hooks i was left with :(
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/9572/jumbled.jpg

Took me the best part of 3 hours to sort them out as best i could, and even now when i pick up a hook I'm still not 100% of the size :(

I've also had the usual ones

• Hook in the finger when pulling back fritz or hackle on flies
  • Cutting the thread instead of a hackle tip
  • Being to harsh with cheap hackles and it snapping and unfurling

neil11111

My friend used a tube of superglue for cementing heads. he proceeded to squeeze 3/4 of the tube into the fly, and in 30 seconds, his fingers were glued together. tried to prise them apart, eventually got his fingers apart, and then sunk the barbed size 8 into his right index finger.

Now he doesnt cement the heads.

guest21

Oooh I missed this one...dry skin on the end of a finger that seems attracted to power silk and can you just shake it off-NO.

Threads again that get stuck on the above and are weakened, get thinner but continue to tie until inevitably it just breaks...:(

Winding hackle on with a rotary vice without tying off first and the thread is unwinding as fast as you're...ugh!

Weak, tediously weak, hackles that just quit for no reason whatsoever-spiders ugh!

Scissors that play up a day before you dump them...

Bobbin holders that get prickly/tight just at the wrong moment and it snaps again...you didn't notice the thread is wrapped around SOMETHING it shouldn't be grrr...

People interupting at a crucial moment-phone call or typically something much more trivial...snap!

The list is endless. How the heck do we ever manage to tie anything :confused:

Last edited:

bill1

MrsB has eyesight like an RSM with itching piles.

Just about every time she crosses the room a hook is spotted on the floor and brandished triumphantly in front of me.

I hid one underneath her chair. She hasn't found it yet but it's only a matter of time. Me and the cat next door have a bet on as to how long it will take.

A. Fluker

A lot of eperiences so far are echoed in my disasters particularly the rough skin and the hook spillage. But the one area that des bug me is the bead pinging. There must be scores on the carpet buried forever OK it's not the 3mm ones its the 1.5mm ones that are never seen again.

:)

toxic evo

Well I should have stopped tying when reading this but I didn't :eek:mg:
I spilt 35 mm bottle of super glue ( industrial) while laughing :eek:
I took the spout off so I could use a cocktail stick for more accurate glueing .
Table cloth ruined trousers ruined and underpants glued to trousers and legs
Lucky I jumped up and pulled the front of my trousers just as glue seeped through my buttons on the crutch area o boy was that close

Any way I now have a waxed area around my #%^* , and thighs .:eek:
I'm walking a bit funny but I'm fine apart from £50 out of pocket for new table cloth and cheap jeans :thumbs:p

Last edited:

wobbly face

1.5mm beads and 20s hooks or smaller. Pain in the a.
You manage to get hook point through the bead but then it sticks in your finger, pull hook back abit, the bead then rolls of your finger onto the floor or in the bin.:eek:mg:
Another, bead on hook and you've almost completed the fly, just whip finish to do, during doing the whip finish, bead comes off the hook over the eye.:eek:

guest21

1.5mm beads and 20s hooks or smaller. Pain in the a.
You manage to get hook point through the bead but then it sticks in your finger, pull hook back abit, the bead then rolls of your finger onto the floor or in the bin.:eek:mg:
Another, bead on hook and you've almost completed the fly, just whip finish to do, during doing the whip finish, bead comes off the hook over the eye.:eek:
Yep all the above and...finished the fly, tip of cement on the thread, put in rack with 5 others all the same, but the last one is different somehow...yes it's different-I forgot the NAFFIN bead :eek::eek::eek: unbelievable.

Chris.

wingman

Cumbria beside the field with the sheep in it.
Very funny fellas:D thanks for the hilarious updates,thats my gigglechops back into gear again. I must admit I havn't knocked a bottle of varnish over for a whole year but then again I now supaglu them to the table, handy tip;) nice to know your flytying antics are just as flamboyant as your flies are Toxic.:eek:mg:

colinmac

The only accidents i have are, if the flie I'm tying actually turns out the same as the pattern I'm following.

g1zmo

....have recently found one of my missing #14 grub hooks when it stitched together both legs of my tracky bottoms, only realised when I tried to stand up to step away from the vice, promptly fell over and bit the carpet (try explaining a carpet burned chin as a fly tying accident:eek:)

lauren

Managed to do most of the previous posts having tied flies for over 50 years but the most serious was a couple of years back when I knock the end of a scalpel sending it spinning in the air and ending up stuck in my groin, when I pulled it out and dropped my kegs to inspect the damage there was blood spurting everywhere, a quick trip to E&A and a couple of butterflies and a bandage repaired the damage. The doctor said if it had been any deeper it could have hit an artery and I might not be here to share the tale. Now every time after using a scalpel it is put into a plastic sheath I made out of a plastic lid from a chinese meal. :eek:mg::eek::)

Last edited:

mattybhoy

not quite fly tying , but whilst repairing a landing net using super glue sitting on the couch , said bottle fell over on the arm of the couch . in my haste to grab bottle , it spun onto the landing net sitting on my lap . that was lucky i thought as i put lid on glue and checked the net was ok.
small spot of glue noticed on the couch arm and when i got up to see what i could do about that , realised that my jeans were stuck to my leg. :eek:mg::eek:mg::eek:mg:

some black marker pen over the glue on the arm and you barely new it was there . :eek::eek::eek: