DIY boat seat - a problem!

ian1104

Evening all

I bought a folding boat seat from ebay. My plan is to attach the swivel plate to a small plank of wood, and use ratchet straps from the plank of wood to the boat.

Problem - with the seat now attavhed to the plate,, how the heck am I going to get the correct angle to drill/screw the plate into the plank of wood? Anyone else done this before?

Thanks
Ian

IMG_20190418_213658906.jpg

IMG_20190418_211341915.jpg

Last edited:

ian1104

I now realise I'm being really stupid, need to screw it into the wood first, before attaching to the seat! Unfortunately I'm not sure how to delete the thread :confused: :eek:mg:

morayfisher

Trust Member
I now realise I'm being really stupid, need to screw it into the wood first, before attaching to the seat! Unfortunately I'm not sure how to delete the thread :confused: :eek:mg:
The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked!
We'd never learn anything if we didn't ask questions.
And someone else might find this thread and be grateful to find the answer.

Cap'n Fishy

My plan is to attach the swivel plate to a small plank of wood, and use ratchet straps from the plank of wood to the boat.
I decided to have a go at one of these too. I have a universal arrangement that can go in any boat, which relies on an extending plank and a seat on a clamp that can be removed to go directly on to a thwart...

However, the simple short mount is easier, if you know for sure you are going to be able to sit it on a suitable thwart...

It's also less likely to damage the thwart.

I have a trip coming up where I am going to be 3 in a boat, with me in the middle or bow. The plank is a non-starter, so I could just remove the seat and clamp and take that. However, I also have a spare seat and swivel plate from the days of having 2 set-up options. So, I went and did a wee job on it, and very nearly painted myself into a corner...

I took the swivel plate off.
I cut 20 inches off a suitable plank of wood.
I marked the positions of the holes and drilled the wood.
I counter-sunk the underside to take the heads of the bolts.
I bolted the swivel plate to the wood.
I cut a piece of anti-slip rubber sheet and upholstered it to the underside of the wood. (My upholstery skills will not worry anyone on BBC's 'The Repair Shop' :p)

Then I went to mount the seat back on the swivel plate and realised I should have done that before mounting the plate on the wood! Aargh! It was all very awkward trying to get the screws through the holes in the plate and into the seat with the wooden base attached. However, it wasn't easy to remove the plate from the wood, as the heads of the bolts were now hidden under the anti-slip mat!!! With reflection, I probably could have removed the nuts and put it back together without needing to access the heads of the bolts, as they were tightly buried and the nuts tightened without needing to put a screwdriver into the slots of the heads. However, I just went for it and fiddled about until I got the nuts through the holes in the plate and into the seat. I felt like Ed China trying to get the bolts back into the alternator of a 1972 Aston Martin. :p

Got it assembled, anyway...

Watching the folk I know who have this arrangement, it seems much easier to use a pair of Velcro straps, rather than bother with ratchet straps. So, I have ordered a pair of 1m Velcro straps.

So, anyway, if the OP hasn't done it yet, after all the drilling and everything, I would put the plate back on the seat first, and mount the plate to the wood second.

Col

Last edited:

arkle

Rather than "screwing" the swivel plate base, onto your chosen piece of timber (marine or similar type ply) use "T" nuts & hex head bolts, which are easily available from most fastening co's &/or ebay.

Cap'n Fishy

Rather than "screwing" the swivel plate base, onto your chosen piece of timber (marine or similar type ply) use "T" nuts & hex head bolts, which are easily available from most fastening co's &/or ebay.
I have used bolts to attach the swivel plate to the wood, and I would think the OP has too. The swivel plate attaches to the seat using hex-headed screws that need to 'bite' their way into the plastic holes in the underside of the seat. My problems came simply form doing things in an awkward order. :eek:

Col

Tomble

I decided to have a go at one of these too. I have a universal arrangement that can go in any boat, which relies on an extending plank and a seat on a clamp that can be removed to go directly on to a thwart...

However, the simple short mount is easier, if you know for sure you are going to be able to sit it on a suitable thwart...

It's also less likely to damage the thwart.

I have a trip coming up where I am going to be 3 in a boat, with me in the middle or bow. The plank is a non-starter, so I could just remove the seat and clamp and take that. However, I also have a spare seat and swivel plate from the days of having 2 set-up options. So, I went and did a wee job on it, and very nearly painted myself into a corner...

I took the swivel plate off.
I cut 20 inches off a suitable plank of wood.
I marked the positions of the holes and drilled the wood.
I counter-sunk the underside to take the heads of the bolts.
I bolted the swivel plate to the wood.
I cut a piece of anti-slip rubber sheet and upholstered it to the underside of the wood. (My upholstery skills will not worry anyone on BBC's 'The Repair Shop' :p)

Then I went to mount the seat back on the swivel plate and realised I should have done that before mounting the plate on the wood! Aargh! It was all very awkward trying to get the screws through the holes in the plate and into the seat with the wooden base attached. However, it wasn't easy to remove the plate from the wood, as the heads of the bolts were now hidden under the anti-slip mat!!! With reflection, I probably could have removed the nuts and put it back together without needing to access the heads of the bolts, as they were tightly buried and the nuts tightened without needing to put a screwdriver into the slots of the heads. However, I just went for it and fiddled about until I got the nuts through the holes in the plate and into the seat. I felt like Ed China trying to get the bolts back into the alternator of a 1972 Aston Martin. :p

Got it assembled, anyway...

Watching the folk I know who have this arrangement, it seems much easier to use a pair of Velcro straps, rather than bother with ratchet straps. So, I have ordered a pair of 1m Velcro straps.

So, anyway, if the OP hasn't done it yet, after all the drilling and everything, I would put the plate back on the seat first, and mount the plate to the wood second.

Col
Hi, I'm looking to make something similar. Just a quick question, what size and type of bolt would you use to attach the swivel to the seat?
Many thanks
Tom

Cap'n Fishy

They are not bolts, but self-tapping screws. They have hex-heads on them, so they tighten up with a spanner. They came supplied with the seat, so they grub down into the pre-drilled holes in the plastic.

Col

snow white

My seat as 6mm threaded holes that take the swivel and I use 12mm ply wood fitted to other side of swivel to put on boat with rachet straps.
rachet straps are secured to plywood with flat wooden clamps that pinch them in place so I don’t lose them

Cap'n Fishy

My seat as 6mm threaded holes that take the swivel and I use 12mm ply wood fitted to other side of swivel to put on boat with rachet straps.
rachet straps are secured to plywood with flat wooden clamps that pinch them in place so I don’t lose them
I've been finding a pair of velcro straps are much easier to put on and take off than ratchet straps, and every bit as secure.... and cheap as chips...

Velcro Straps

Col

speytime

Yes that's the ones less the wooden piece that's just moulded in.

Cheers Al
Sorry Col not the ones I mean have seat moulded right across the width of the boats with little squares that lift off there's absolutely nowhere to get a strap under.

Thanks to google
20200303_120115.jpg

Last edited:

Cap'n Fishy

Yes that's the ones less the wooden piece that's just moulded in.

Cheers Al
There are various boat designs with buoyancy tanks of various designs, and you just have to improvise your straps to the type. If the tank has a gap under it and your straps are long enough, you can just pass them under the tank. Those velcro ones I got should be long enough to do that. This was a previous arrangement I used a few years ago...

However, if the buoyancy tank is integral with the deck, you can't do that...

This is one of the old Rutland fleet...

The boat we had on Hope this year was an issue to my fishing partner, who was in the bow for the week and has a TLD-type seat with a shallow clamp that tips him sideways unless he can fit straps under it. If memory serves, the tank met the floor, but had a gap at the front and back (like that Coulam I posted). He ended up with one strap angled forwards round the front of the tank and one angled backwards round the rear of the tank. I should have taken a photo of it for my collection!

Some guys I fish with just use the seat attached to a base that sits on the thwart and they don't bother with any straps or clamps. they just avoid tipping themselves off!

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Sorry Col not the ones I mean have seat moulded right across the width of the boats with little squares that lift off there's absolutely nowhere to get a strap under.

Thanks to google
View attachment 23240
Ah - OK - was busy replying to your previous post when you posted this one. Yeh - see the bit referring to the old Rutland boats. Straps not an option!

Options:

1) Use seat-on-swivel-on-base arrangement and be careful not to tip sideways. As I said, plenty folk I fish with do it this way in all boats - even when they could use straps.

2) Use seat-on-swivel-on-clamp arrangement, and be equally careful not to tip sideways, as in the bow seat here....

3) Use seat-on-swivel-on-extending-plank arrangement and sit it lengthways inside the boat, as in the stern seat above.

Col

snow white

God I would not trust Velcro it’s ok for jackets but if you have to lean back it will give way then you would have if like me cracking your head on the gunnels or going for a swim witch are not good idear