DIY boat seat - a problem!

Cap'n Fishy

God I would not trust Velcro it’s ok for jackets but if you have to lean back it will give way then you would have if like me cracking your head on the gunnels or going for a swim witch are not good idear
No - been using it for a good while now, and some of the Lomond boys have been using it for many years. No problems with it. The overlap area is several inches, and the pressure is applied along the length of it - like a shear force - so you couldn't make it part even if you tried your hardest. Leaning back, the back of the seat would snap off before the velcro gave way.

Then you just peel it off at the end of the day. (y)

Col

Wee Jimmy

I'm happy with the swivel attachment modification on the old Bob Church extending seat, its a one size fits all solution for more or less any boat out there and I've used it for more seasons than I care to remember. Its a bit cumbersome but as long as the boats are not too far from the car,I don't find that too much of an issue.

Last edited:

speytime

When I first saw Cols seat I thought that looks the biz.
So I ordered a swivel and bucket seat £70 I then picked up a airflo comfort zone boat seat £90, when I put it together it was a bit heavy for my liking.
So I bit the bullet and ordered a Rutland seat £230 then couldn't bring myself to drill the rivets out to remove back rest.

Then last year I picked up a lureflash boat seat £50 it's perfect, the seat and backrest comes off as one for storage and the frame is a bit longer, at long last a set up that's both convenient and light enough to be practical.
At £450 all in it wasn't the cheapest boat seat.

I've been meaning to advertise the Rutland seat but haven't gotten around to it, if anyone is interested give me a shout.

Al

Last edited:

Wee Jimmy

When I first saw Cols seat I thought that looks the biz.
So I ordered a swivel and bucket seat £70 I then picked up a airflo comfort zone boat seat £90, when I put it together it was a bit heavy for my liking.
So I bit the bullet and ordered a Rutland seat £230 then couldn't bring myself to drill the rivets out to remove back rest.

Then last year I picked up a lureflash boat seat £50 it's perfect, the seat and backrest comes off as one for storage and the frame is a bit longer, at long last a set up that's both convenient and light enough to be practical.
At £450 it wasn't the cheapest boat seat.

I've been meaning to advertise the Rutland seat but haven't gotten around to it, if anyone is interested give me a shout.

Al
I've got one of the original sized Bob Church seats Al,bought back in the late 80s/early 90s. They are a good few inches wider than the current version and more suitable for the mod. They were a lot cheaper when they first came on the market as you can imagine....;-)

BTW I always thought those comfort zones looked like an accident waiting to happen.....like a giant pair of scissors.

speytime

I've got one of the original sized Bob Church seats Al,bought back in the late 80s/early 90s. They are a good few inches wider than the current version and more suitable for the mod. They were a lot cheaper when they first came on the market as you can imagine....;-)

BTW I always thought those comfort zones looked like an accident waiting to happen.....like a giant pair of scissors.
The airflo one I had was a telescopic but the lureflash one I use now with the bucket seat is the scissor type.

Thanks for pointing that out Jimmy I,ll see what I can do to prevent my fingers getting injured.

Cheers Al

Tomble

I decided to have a go at one of these too. I have a universal arrangement that can go in any boat, which relies on an extending plank and a seat on a clamp that can be removed to go directly on to a thwart...

However, the simple short mount is easier, if you know for sure you are going to be able to sit it on a suitable thwart...

It's also less likely to damage the thwart.

I have a trip coming up where I am going to be 3 in a boat, with me in the middle or bow. The plank is a non-starter, so I could just remove the seat and clamp and take that. However, I also have a spare seat and swivel plate from the days of having 2 set-up options. So, I went and did a wee job on it, and very nearly painted myself into a corner...

I took the swivel plate off.
I cut 20 inches off a suitable plank of wood.
I marked the positions of the holes and drilled the wood.
I counter-sunk the underside to take the heads of the bolts.
I bolted the swivel plate to the wood.
I cut a piece of anti-slip rubber sheet and upholstered it to the underside of the wood. (My upholstery skills will not worry anyone on BBC's 'The Repair Shop' :p)

Then I went to mount the seat back on the swivel plate and realised I should have done that before mounting the plate on the wood! Aargh! It was all very awkward trying to get the screws through the holes in the plate and into the seat with the wooden base attached. However, it wasn't easy to remove the plate from the wood, as the heads of the bolts were now hidden under the anti-slip mat!!! With reflection, I probably could have removed the nuts and put it back together without needing to access the heads of the bolts, as they were tightly buried and the nuts tightened without needing to put a screwdriver into the slots of the heads. However, I just went for it and fiddled about until I got the nuts through the holes in the plate and into the seat. I felt like Ed China trying to get the bolts back into the alternator of a 1972 Aston Martin. :p

Got it assembled, anyway...

Watching the folk I know who have this arrangement, it seems much easier to use a pair of Velcro straps, rather than bother with ratchet straps. So, I have ordered a pair of 1m Velcro straps.

So, anyway, if the OP hasn't done it yet, after all the drilling and everything, I would put the plate back on the seat first, and mount the plate to the wood second.

Col
Thanks for the detailed plans. Just completed my own. I went for the roof rack straps that just pull through themselves and through a cambuckle which hopefully will hold my delicate frame in place. Waiting to test it at Blagdon in the next couple of weeks.