Does it make a difference..

GEK79

I've sat at the bank on the river and the Lough whikst looking at my fly box a d have wondered does it make any difference in which way you thread your fly.. I think that there are 2 options.. But wondered does it make any difference..
Thank you
Gary

BobP

Brian Leadbetter who was World Champion twice used to be of the opinion that dropper flies should be tied on from beneath on down eyed hooks. He used to catch more than most so I guess we can make of that what we will.

Personally I doubt it makes a lot of odds, but then I've not been a double World Champion.

wobbly face

What knots are you using?
The knots I use it doesn't seem to make any difference how you thread the tippet through the eye. If I'm having difficulty threading through the eye one way (depending on fly, materials and such), then I try the other.
Superstitious? Lucky charms and rituals come to mind! :)

GEK79

What knots are you using?
The knots I use it doesn't seem to make any difference how you thread the tippet through the eye. If I'm having difficulty threading through the eye one way (depending on fly, materials and such), then I try the other.
Superstitious? Lucky charms and rituals come to mind! :)
Clinch knot is only one I can tie properly with strength.. Superstition.. Lol.. If I was superstitious I'd not have started fishing.. Lol.. Thanks pal

bibio1st

Would it make Rafael Nadal a lesser tennis player if he didn’t touch his face twice and pull his shorts from his ar5e before each serve, probably not, just a superstition thing.

Steve

JCP

Had me thinking and wishin' I hadn't. It appears most trout knots I use are tied hook point down and line passing through the eye same way.Davy,JB,Palomar and Fig 8 swinging loop knots all start same way.No superstitions trouting but on the sea. Well rabbits,bananas and whistling just for starters:D:unsure::giggle:

JP

morayfisher

Trust Member
I vaguely remember an article somewhere that advocated not actually tying the fly on but instead just thread tippet through eye and tie a stopper knot of choice in the end of the tippet. I can only guess that it’s purpose was to give the fly a more natural action in the water.
Presumably how it was threaded could make big difference to a dry fly.