Downlocking reel seat using a reversed uplocker

b13rux

Quick question for those more experienced and wise than myself on this. I am looking at down-locking reel seats for a new build i am specing up at the mo. I would like a down-locking reel seat, as it will be a tightlining specific rod. I am leaning towards a small fighting butt as such; am i right in thinking i can just reverse any up-locking reel seat and put the fighting butt over the recessed hood that usually would go under the cork handle?

Im 90% sure that should be the case, and was tempted to just try it but wanted others advice as a lot of reel seats seem to be up/down specific, and i can only see that being an issue if you don't want a fighting butt, also would prefer to know before i start buying components if its not a great idea.

JayP

The only issue other than the fighting butt being a permanent fixture is you won't get the trim ring that goes between the threaded section and the grip

IMG_20210923_094650.jpg

bonito

Quick question for those more experienced and wise than myself on this. I am looking at down-locking reel seats for a new build i am specing up at the mo. I would like a down-locking reel seat, as it will be a tightlining specific rod. I am leaning towards a small fighting butt as such; am i right in thinking i can just reverse any up-locking reel seat and put the fighting butt over the recessed hood that usually would go under the cork handle?

Im 90% sure that should be the case, and was tempted to just try it but wanted others advice as a lot of reel seats seem to be up/down specific, and i can only see that being an issue if you don't want a fighting butt, also would prefer to know before i start buying components if its not a great idea.
Go for it with any seat you fancy. Could also look at an ALPS as they don`t need to be recessed

Attachments

• P1020025.JPG
    P1020025.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 25

JayP

Ahh makes sense, hadn't thought of that bit.

thanks Jason👍
Ben, I've emailed my hardware supplier about downlocking skeletons with fighting butt attachment as I want them for some builds I'm doing. I'll let you know in the next day or two 👍

b13rux

Ben, I've emailed my hardware supplier about downlocking skeletons with fighting butt attachment as I want them for some builds I'm doing. I'll let you know in the next day or two 👍

Brilliant, thank you!