Dragonfly.

wingman

I thought this might interest some of the entomologists on the forum. I was driving along in my van with the window down about 4 inches when this critter flew through the gap and hit me in the face. I wasn't sure what the heck it was as I was to busy trying to stay on the road but I knew it was a big insecty thing. Anyway I think it's a Southern Hawker Dragonfly female but I'm sure someone will verify this. Wonderful looking creature to say the least and I let it off down by the river near my house at which point it flew to over 50 feet in the air in a matter of seconds. I think it was love at first sight so I was sad to see her go. :(

wobbly face

I think you're right with the southern hawker Mark. :thumbs:
The other week when fishing with Mr Trout, had a common hawker resting on the floor at the back of the car.
I once had an emperor dragonfly land on my leg whilst eating a crane fly. :thumbs:

wingman

I think you're right with the southern hawker Mark. :thumbs:
The other week when fishing with Mr Trout, had a common hawker resting on the floor at the back of the car.
I once had an emperor dragonfly land on my leg whilst eating a crane fly. :thumbs:
Thanks Ged I thought Mr. Trout was a common hawker :D Tasty them Crane flies particularly with some Daddies sauce , get stuck in your teeth a bit though.:rolleyes:

Cap'n Fishy

Were they dipped in chocolate first? :hungry:
No, just natural. They started-out on the Gladhouse brownies - went through a spell of the fish picking them up - maybe from grubbing about for food. So, every time we caught a trout with a load of leeches on it, we would clean them off for it before returning it. I would pick them off and wipe them onto the metal tray of my Bob Church seat. They quickly dried and shrivelled in the sun.

One time, I was fishing in the evening after work, and I bought a pasta salad bowl in the Co-op to do my tea. Mid-evening, I got it out and laid it on the tray in front of me and tried to prise-open the lid. It cowped-over and spilled onto the tray. Without thinking, I scraped it back into the bowl and ate it. I was about half way through when I remembered about the dried leeches. I looked at the tray. There was a clear area devoid of leeches where the pasta had spilled and been scooped-up. Ah well, it was extra protein, and it added a piquancy to the pasta salad. ;)

Col

diawl bach

I thought this might interest some of the entomologists on the forum. I was driving along in my van with the window down about 4 inches when this critter flew through the gap and hit me in the face. I wasn't sure what the heck it was as I was to busy trying to stay on the road but I knew it was a big insecty thing. Anyway I think it's a Southern Hawker Dragonfly female but I'm sure someone will verify this. Wonderful looking creature to say the least and I let it off down by the river near my house at which point it flew to over 50 feet in the air in a matter of seconds. I think it was love at first sight so I was sad to see her go. :(

Nice pic. Coincidentally a gold ringed dragonfly flew into the kitchen last week, massive thing, part of a parade of wildlife going through the place currently. They are amazing things at close quarters, quite noisy indoors too, the wings make a distinctive rustling sound.

easker1

Aeshna Cyanea, Rare up here , But they prey on Magpie moths, leaving swaithes of wings round the loch sides,I watched a Gold ring D/fly nymph crawl out of a loch and go through the process of becoming a flier, lovely name of Cordulegaster Boltonii,I spend a bit of time watching them during the summer , this year was a poor year for D/flies, easker1

Latest posts