Dropper knot for low diameter copolymer

goldenolivebumble

Hello all,

I have been testing knots using thin copolymer and find the 4 turn water knot for droppers to be a weak point. It may be that my copolymer is a few years old? The uni knot to hooks is holding up strong.

Amy recommendations on a reliable resilient copolymer?

Thanks!

Wee Jimmy

Hello all,

I have been testing knots using thin copolymer and find the 4 turn water knot for droppers to be a weak point. It may be that my copolymer is a few years old? The uni knot to hooks is holding up strong.

Amy recommendations on a reliable resilient copolymer?

Thanks!
I can recommend the figure of eight knot for droppers on low diameter nylons I.e Tectan,stroft,reflo power,gigafish and snowbee Xs...👍

Wee Jimmy

I have to say, I don't have a problem with the water knot on thin nylon so long as I test it after tying.
I was a water knot user for many years and also never had any issues with it but there were so many folk telling me the fig8 was even more reliable that I figured I had to at least try it.

Rhithrogena

I was a water knot user for many years and also never had any issues with it but there were so many folk telling me the fig8 was even more reliable that I figured I had to at least try it.
I am in exactly this position now. Had never used a Davy Knot until last season and really like it and am going to try fig 8 this year.

original cormorant

I can't understand using a figure of eight/surgeons knot for droppers. To me the need to pull four or five feet of line through the knot disqualifies it from consideration.
Sure I could do it at home without a problem but I don't want to be doing it in a windy boat.

D

Deleted member 90002

I can't understand using a figure of eight/surgeons knot for droppers. To me the need to pull four or five feet of line through the knot disqualifies it from consideration.
Sure I could do it at home without a problem but I don't want to be doing it in a windy boat.
What knot would you recommend please

original cormorant

What knot would you recommend please
I use blood knots because I have done for years, but I guess uniknots would also work.

At one time I used fig8 knots but I gave it up because for me it's too messy tying them in wind and rain. Fo me it's much easier tying blood knots that I can tie and snug mainly by feel. I keep saying "for me" because what works best for me isn't necessarily the same for everyone. I believe in most knot tests blood knots come out top or almost top.

D

Deleted member 90002

I use blood knots because I have done for years, but I guess uniknots would also work.

At one time I used fig8 knots but I gave it up because for me it's too messy tying them in wind and rain. Fo me it's much easier tying blood knots that I can tie and snug mainly by feel. I keep saying "for me" because what works best for me isn't necessarily the same for everyone. I believe in most knot tests blood knots come out top or almost top.
Thanks lad I had a look at the fig8.. And I think the blood knot will be easier tied.. Thanks..
G

Wee Jimmy

It’s actually a piece of piss and no more difficult to tie in a boat on a windy day than any other knot.All knots become second nature once we become accustomed to tying them.

goldenolivebumble

Thanks all. I agree it's handy to have a reliable quick knot for a windy day and with as low as 6lb maxima and fluoro the 4 turn water knot has been bullet proof for me but for some reason, less so on the copolymer. It may be the brand/age of the copolymer I'm using. Does copolymer degenerate even if stored away?

I will try the suggested knots and see how I fair. And if its still unsound look at a new brand of copolymer. The uni/grinner knot to the eye of the hook is very strong though, so we'll see. Better to be finding out what works at the kitchen table then when stuck into a lump anyway!!!

BobP

Another fan of the Fig 8. Quick, easy and reliable. Been using it for about 15 years now and certainly have no intention of changing. I suggest original cormorant looks up Don Staziger's work on knots that was published in Trout & Salmon about three years ago. Blood knots are way high on the list - of unreliable knots!

Tangled

I really don't believe that any of the common knots are unreliable or don't work on fluorocarbon or thin or thicker lines or in the cold or on a Tuesday.

I'm pretty convinced that it's just a matter of concentrating on one or two and getting so good at them that you can tie them with your eyes closed. Then test the damn things. Pull on them like crazy.

They all fail if they've not cinched down properly or you've not quite got it right.