Dropper knot for low diameter copolymer

original cormorant

I wonder what method you're using to tie the figure of eight that makes it harder to tie than a blood knot. Check out this method of tying it: http://dryflyexpert.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-strongest-knot.html Having seen those instructions and video, I adopted the figure of 8 and haven't looked back.
I don't know of any other way to tie a figure of eight knot. But that video does illustrate the drawing through of the long length of leader that is my objection to the knot.

With regard to the reliability of blood knots they are the knot used for commercially tied knotted leaders which is practical evidence of their reliability and strength and good enough for me.

In my view Tangled is absolutely right (not many people say that) with what he says in the last two paragraphs of the preceding posting.

Rhithrogena

I use fo8 knots 'improved Davy for say 5X ' Pitzen knot for tying flies on 6X & 7X.You should give the Pitzen a try too.Stronger than the Davy in lower diameter tippets.
I mostly use a half-blood (clinch) for attaching flies. I like the Davy for dropper flies as it can be tied on very short lengths and I get more fly-changes per dropper. When the dropper gets TOO short I attach another one with a half-blood knot above the existing dropper.

Mr Notherone

I've never had a problem with a three turn water knot or the figure of 8 for droppers - very fast and easy. For the smallest flies I'm often using 0.08 stroft for droppers.

The improved clinch was my preferred knot for attaching flies for years, but I've switched to the double Davy.

All the knots mentioned on this thread work fine, when they don't it's invariably user error.

BobP

So, we have a blood knot and if you have a dropper, what then? Use one of the tag ends for the dropper fly? Good route to knot failure. Tie in a length of line above the blood knot using a clinch knot?

Having to pull a few feet of mono through a loop is too difficult? Takes about 5 seconds, 20 seconds if it's the top dropper that needs replacing and the other two flies are still on the leader.

I don't agree totally with the above re knot failure being invariably user error. I would say that user error is responsible for the majority of failures, but occasionally knots are subjected to stresses that they cannot withstand no matter how well tied they are. Knots create a weak point in the line and that weak point can, and does, fail sometimes.

goldenolivebumble

Just as an update I tried the fig of 8 knot for droppers and it made a remarkable difference. Line now snapping at the line as opposed to the knots. To experiment, I tied it slightly wrong (too many turns) and it failed easily. Regarding human error, I've used the water knot for 30 years with light ultragreen and fluoro, and it's been reliable and simple to tie when out and about. But it was not measuring up with this particular leader material. Feel a lot more confident with the fig of 8 now. Thanks all, very much appreciated. Tight lines.

goldenolivebumble

As a final update I acquired some new copolymer line. Four turn water knot worked fine for droppers, as did fig of 8. The brand of copolymer i was initially using was a disaster. Even without knots the line could be snapped too easy.

Cap'n Fishy

As a final update I acquired some new copolymer line. Four turn water knot worked fine for droppers, as did fig of 8. The brand of copolymer i was initially using was a disaster. Even without knots the line could be snapped too easy.

You realise 'copolymer' is just another term for nylon?

Cap'n Fishy

With regard to the reliability of blood knots they are the knot used for commercially tied knotted leaders which is practical evidence of their reliability and strength and good enough for me.

Wow! I can't believe anyone is using blood knots for droppers these days!!! :oops: As Jimmy says. it's the kiss of death. For a kick-off, you need to be damned sure you leave the long spur the one that is coming down, rather than the one that is coming up, because when you pull on the one coming up, you simply pull the knot apart. But even then. there's no way the physics hold up against other knots. But hey - kudos to you if you can use it with no problems! (y)😜

goldenolivebumble

You realise 'copolymer' is just another term for nylon?
Indeed. Just using the colloquial term for finer tippet nylon than let's say maxima ultragreen. Though I understand its not a technically accurate distinction. Use both, and fluoro, all for different applications. Thanks and tight lines!

rabmax

I recently started using an adjustable dry dropper knot.But don't see why it wouldn't work well for replacing normal droppers that have become too short.I will be trying this one lots in the spring.

shortcircuit

I have been doing my dropper knots using the forceps like the first knot in the video below

Have I been doing a surgeon's knot or a figure of 8 knot?