Dry bags, recommendations please

running bear

It's been a very long time since i purchased my last dry bag, and I've little idea of what's good and not so good, so many new brands and desgns out there.

I need approx 30l, ideally brightly coloured, and it needs to be of a high quality. Cheap might do for a while but i want long term reliability. Primary use is essentials that will be stored in the front of a float tube, so the base will be in more or less constant water contact (guideline tube with mesh floored storage). Rucksack style preferred, although not at the expense of reliability, so basic tube styles considered.

I will still probably use an additional inner liner with it for extra safety.

Thanks in advance for ideas,

Vermontdrifter

These guys have some excellent products

bonefishblues

This one, I think :)

Rhithrogena

The generic cheap ones available online are excellent, as are the Overboard ones above. I have a cheapo 60L that has seen a LOT of use - the straps are fraying, but the bag is 100% waterproof. I know of a lot of users of these bags. An excellent cheap brand is LOMO they retail at around £20. HIGHLANDER is another good reliable brand, but tbh they are all Chinese - you can save a few quid by buying a non-branded one.
I take the view that I only want a single compartment, the external 'waterproof' zipped pockets usually are not waterproof. The cheap ones are rugged, often have just the one compartment, are easy to repair if accidentally punctured, and importantly, they dry very quickly as they have no outer nylon fabric, like the Overboard ones.
You pays your money and you makes your choice...

Cap'n Fishy

I like to get one that I can see into - saves rummaging around for stuff in the dark.

Currently using one of these...

Had about 3 seasons from it so far with no leaks.

Not a rucksack type, however.

wobbly face

I have a LOMO 30L rucksack that I used for 3 years walking to and from work (3 mile trek each way) in all weather, not used much since as retired 2 years ago.
I also use 12L Over-Board Pro-light for river fishing and it's taken some stick over the 4 years of use and still going strong (I got a second one in sale for when it does pack up) . I have a few other bags etc from Over-Board and no problems with any. Best to wait until they have special offers or a sale on. ;)

Cap'n Fishy

I use a heavy duty bin bag to keep my fishing bag dry during the rainy season, I now think I'm the poor relation 😪

Would one of them last you 50 trips a season for 4 or 5 years? 100% waterproof in all weathers, including water sloshing about in the bottom of a boat?

Go on, treat yourself... 😜

Latest posts