Dry Fly Box

gg76

Hi

A few questions to the loop box owners:

- how robust is the closing mechanism for the lid of each case?
- I assume the lid on each case is plastic, I wonder if this may lose its transparency over time (not sure anyone will have had the box for long enough to answer but comments welcome!).
- is there anything special with the cases on the foam side (magnetised???), what is the “intent” of these? Look fairly shallow too?

Thanks!
Hi Pati
i have been using the loop box for around 6 months and shows no sign of failure.
Its a nice piece of kit and well made.
cheers
G

taffy1

101 year old RW fly box

mxTMNhq.jpg

hQEzYbk.jpg

aldot

I use these, they're brilliant, aluminium, well made and just the right size and depth. There are 3 different types, colour coded so I have one for dries, wets/nymphs and streamers. The window mechanism has never failed me yet.

The best thing is they're only £12 from ebay or £8 from Aliexpress! You won't be disappointed, and you'll be surprised at the quality.

20210413_111456.jpg

20210413_111507.jpg

20210413_111517.jpg

gg76

I use these, they're brilliant, aluminium, well made and just the right size and depth. There are 3 different types, colour coded so I have one for dries, wets/nymphs and streamers. The window mechanism has never failed me yet.

The best thing is they're only £12 from ebay or £8 from Aliexpress! You won't be disappointed, and you'll be surprised at the quality.

View attachment 38174

View attachment 38175

View attachment 38176
Hi ,
I bought 1 of these a couple of years ago and thought it was great , however the springs went on the compartments after a month or so and it went straight in the bin.
maybe I was just unlucky?
Cheers

aldot

Hi ,
I bought 1 of these a couple of years ago and thought it was great , however the springs went on the compartments after a month or so and it went straight in the bin.
maybe I was just unlucky?
Cheers
Maybe but I honestly can't fault them and I take my dry fly box to lochs, lakes and rivers, more than any other fly box and not had any issues. Bn using it about 3yrs. Really well built

PaulD

Why not this one?

I use a number of very cheap, plastic formed boxes similar to that one.

However, there's a basic problem with the design in that all the dry fly containers are covered by a single lid. On windy days there's a fair chance that your fly collection may suffer a few losses.

Bongoch

I bought the Loop box during the first lockdown last year though I haven't gotten around to using it yet. I like the idea of dries on one side and nymphs on the other. I just need to pluck up the courage to reduce my current 3 boxes for river fishing down to 1!

eddleston123

View attachment 38174

View attachment 38175

View attachment 38176

Looking at the equivalent Richard Wheatley sized box in the Sportfish catalogue @ £64.99 -
Your boxes £8 - £12 seem incredible value for money.

Having said that a RW fly box will catch you many more fish!

Douglas

aldot

Looking at the equivalent Richard Wheatley sized box in the Sportfish catalogue @ £64.99 -

Douglas
Lol, I have RW boxes as well but prefer these.

benisa

Douglas
Think the RW may well catch your bank balance ;)

gmm243

I fish dries a lot and never keep them in flat foam boxes.I always keep them in large deep compartment boxes which do not crush the hackles.I know you run the risk of taking a load out with the one you choose via tangling and also the wind can be unhelpful but I know they will be in perfect condition when tied on.
I have often seen friends out with me open a box of dries and all of them lined up hooked into the foam with the hackles crushed and they therefore have floating issues.
I buy my boxes on Ebay and they usually cost about £2-4 depending on the size. As I am usually in a boat I have all my gear in a bag so 3 or 4 boxes are not a hardship to carry.

eddleston123

The vast majority of my dry flies are parachutes, so sticking them into a piece of foam is generally not a problem. I also fish with cdc dry flies, where I trim the bottom part off were necessary. Putting them into a piece of flat foam is not a problem either.

At least you can see all your flies at a glance, rather than opening little spring lids one by one to select your fly.

Now, that leaves fully hackled flies. I still prefer to have them hooked into flat foam, even if does crush the underside a bit. I have a suspicion that the trout are not adverse to a bit of crushed hackle. It's only the angler that doesn't like them.

As far as spring compartment boxes are concerned. I dislike them intensely. Firstly, you have great difficulty seeing the fly that you desire through the little perspex window. Secondly, when you open a compartment, it is not unusual to have a fly or two spring out into the air, never to be retrieved !

Just my personal thoughts.

Douglas

Cumbrian

That is true. I have this one and the wind is some kind of problem.

When I used the small C&F compartment box you could buy packs of small rectangular tacky inserts that helped keep the flies in place when the lid was open.

Cap'n Fishy

I’m after a new box for my Dries.
I am looking at the Loop Opti Dry Fly Box, and wonder if anyone has one they can comment on, or indeed an alternative suggestion?
Would prefer some compartments and budget around £50/60.
TIA 👍

I dunno to what extent you tie and use dry flies that are "old school" with respect to having full 360 degree wound genetic cock hackles that would be crushed if stored in a simple ethafoam sheet style box? I have mayfly patterns that fit that bill and I use compartment boxes from Hobbycraft for them...

Boxes04Sep20_1632.jpg

Coming nicely within your budget of £50/60, they are £3.25 each. 😜

But all the rest of my dries don't have hackles underneath them, so they can just go into a regular foam-lined box...

Boxes26Mar19_9088.jpg

That's a Glasgow Angling Centre box, with the slotted foam ripped out and replaced with sheet foam.

Col

Scotty Mitchell

I dunno to what extent you tie and use dry flies that are "old school" with respect to having full 360 degree wound genetic cock hackles that would be crushed if stored in a simple ethafoam sheet style box? I have mayfly patterns that fit that bill and I use compartment boxes from Hobbycraft for them...

Boxes04Sep20_1632.jpg

Coming nicely within your budget of £50/60, they are £3.25 each. 😜

But all the rest of my dries don't have hackles underneath them, so they can just go into a regular foam-lined box...

Boxes26Mar19_9088.jpg

That's a Glasgow Angling Centre box, with the slotted foam ripped out and replaced with sheet foam.

Col
I fish lots of hoppers that are not trimmed, jinglers too. I prefer compartments for small flies without hackles. The loop box allows me individual compartments with their own secure lid, AND a whole slotted side too.
I don’t have room for carrying massive boxes, (bank angler mind), and boxes with compartments and a single lid, are shite.

Latest posts