Dry Fly Chub on The Stour

loudo999

Just wondering if anyone has had experience on the stour for chub or other species? Im staying near by at the moment so fancied trying something new and taking a break from the salt (and wind!).

I plan on using a 7 weight rod with floating line and around 12-15ft of 8lb fluorocarbon with a foam beetle or ant on the end casting upstream.

If anyone has any advice or tips on where to look would be much appreciated, Ill let you know how I get on of course!

Thanks, Louis

4wings

Coarse fishing I used a little mouse plug or a cobbled up fly made from ostrich feather which probably resembled a minnow (I have only recently come to fly fishing)

jerryrum

Chub are very spooky, so if you have a lighter leader it might be better.

That said, they have a very strong reaction when first hooked, so don't go too light.

You'll have to decide when you see them. My preference is 3lb leader for anything up to 1lb, 4lb for up to 2lb and 6lb for fish over 2lb.

A foam beetle is a great fly for when they are surface feeding (and is my favourite method), but if they are subsurface a damsel nymph works well.

A 7 weight rod will work, if it's all you have, but a lighter rod would be better for smaller fish and would give you a chance of catching Dace if the Chub aren't feeding.

I don't know the Stour (or which Stour you mean) but the best place to find big Chub is under overhanging vegetation. A willow tree over a deep pool would be best.

Smaller Chub can be found where you would expect trout, head and tail of pools, over hanging banks etc. You will even be able to spot them in some faster shallow. Just don't let them see you first.

good luck
Jerry

loudo999

Brilliant all thank you.

I'll be fishing the Stour which meets the Avon in Christchurch in Dorset. Probably on the Throop fishery beat.

Going to give it a go Sunday, so will let you know how I get on!

Jason 70

Brilliant all thank you.

I'll be fishing the Stour which meets the Avon in Christchurch in Dorset. Probably on the Throop fishery beat.

Going to give it a go Sunday, so will let you know how I get on!

Throop is very weedy at present and holds some very large Chub, so I would not be shy in using an 8lb tippet. I'm fishing a Berkshire river on Sunday for Chub and will start with a 6lb tippet and a wasp flie size 10 if that's no good maybe a squirmy worm.

Good luck hopefully you will get among the larger ones.

Last edited:

loudo999

Throop is very weedy at present and holds some very large Chub, so I would not be shy in using an 8lb tippet. I'm fishing a Berkshire river on Sunday for Chub and will start with a 6lb tippet and a wasp flie size 10 if that's no good maybe a squirmy worm.

Good luck hopefully you will get among the larger ones.

I think I will take your advice and stick on the 8lb tippet. Going to try out a foam beetle size 10 or 12 then maybe a large foam ant... Got some squirmy worms as well so could put one on a dropper bellow the foam beetle. Good luck with tomorrow! I'll post some photos if I manage to get anything.

Cooperman

Please excuse my newbie ignorance but would you explain ‘the chub loved the dry figured of 8’ d back ... creating a wake

shropshire_lad

Please excuse my newbie ignorance but would you explain ‘the chub loved the dry figured of 8’ d back ... creating a wake

Rather than fishing the dry fly static Rob is moving it back slowly - as it does so it creates a wake on the water surface. Simulates an insect maybe trapped in the surface film, a swimming beetle or such like. Anyway, sometimes fish like to chase something or it triggers an instinct.

The "figure of 8" is a type of slow retrieve where you bunch the line in your hands and it forms a figure of 8 pattern :)

loudo999

Well to report on my day on Throop Fishery, Beat 2 of the Dorset Stour... I did manage to catch some fish on the fly, but they were all very small. I found three or four good sized chub and covered them well with the fly going through all my foam beetles, squirmy worms and large cricket dry flys. I only had one fish turn to the big cricket and splash at it but no further interest! Exciting stuff stalking fish and covering them with a fly. Hopefully next time they'll be more aggressive on the feed.

Jason 70

Well to report on my day on Throop Fishery, Beat 2 of the Dorset Stour... I did manage to catch some fish on the fly, but they were all very small. I found three or four good sized chub and covered them well with the fly going through all my foam beetles, squirmy worms and large cricket dry flys. I only had one fish turn to the big cricket and splash at it but no further interest! Exciting stuff stalking fish and covering them with a fly. Hopefully next time they'll be more aggressive on the feed.

It still sounds like you enjoyed yourself. I'll not be back down until September, once the schools go back and hopefully we have some rain, until then I'll stay more local and it's a fair old schlep for the day.

markemark21

Reckon these will work for chub
Reckon

Attachments

• IMG_20200914_102100_235.jpg
    IMG_20200914_102100_235.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Latest posts