Dry fly fishing. Fluorocarbon best in bright conditions.

speytime

As ever, it's all horses for courses. This is the sort of day we are looking for for dry fly...

Note the natty 'curve cast' there. ;)

Col
That reminds of something I meant to ask about, sometimes my line is drifts away to the right/left of the boat as I I'm drifting onto the fly, it's not a problem as such but I wouldn't mind drifting straight in line with the fly if I could, what's causing the line to drift left or right of the boat?

Cheers Al

mackiia1

That reminds of something I meant to ask about, sometimes my line is drifts away to the right/left of the boat as I I'm drifting onto the fly, it's not a problem as such but I wouldn't mind drifting straight in line with the fly if I could, what's causing the line to drift left or right of the boat?

Cheers Al
Its the boat Crabbing - not the line.

mackiia1

Al ,all boats - some are worse than others - will drift slightly sideways( Crab) towards the Engine end of the boat.
It can be corrected using a drogue.

speytime

Al ,all boats - some are worse than others - will drift slightly sideways( Crab) towards the Engine end of the boat.
It can be corrected using a drogue.
I always use a drogue, I've made up a couple of adjusters to control the drift direction better, it's a rare occasion to not have the boat crabbing to some degree.

Thanks Al

Last edited:

Wee Jimmy

It's simply the set up what I was shown by the Guide who first took me out Caenis fishing.
He swears by this set up and catches lots and lots of fish this way - as do a lot of his clients, some of whom are excellent anglers.
It's a case of , if its good enough for them , it's good enough for me.
I must try it some morning with a Nylon tippet just to see if there's any difference , but to be honest Col, we never have much of an issue with the Fluoro.
Interesting to hear this Ian, I’m assuming you don’t mind your leader floating on the surface? In my experience, any gains we might have when using fine diameters ,are lost if we can’t get it under the film.
Anything floating on top,regardless of what material it’s made of is going to be magnified x number of times due to the dent it makes in the meniscus.
I’m not so quick to fish as fine as I used to these days because of this.

Cap'n Fishy

Noted - and the Bright Yellow Fly Line:D
Ha-ha - it's yellow, but nothing like as bright as it appears in that photo. I must have exaggerated it in Photoshop. 🤪

One thing I would say - it's a nice matt egg-shell finish. One thing I have found - don't use a gloss-finish fly line for stillwater dries. ;)

Col

Paul_B

Last edited:

loxie

It's simply the set up what I was shown by the Guide who first took me out Caenis fishing.
He swears by this set up and catches lots and lots of fish this way - as do a lot of his clients, some of whom are excellent anglers.
It's a case of , if its good enough for them , it's good enough for me.
I must try it some morning with a Nylon tippet just to see if there's any difference , but to be honest Col, we never have much of an issue with the Fluoro.
Was that Larry?

dgp

For sure - I was referring back to the article in question and the conclusion being always to default to fluorocarbon when it's sunny.

If you are fishing as you describe, and providing you can get the fluoro to cut through the surface, then fine. Most days I am out it is a mix of covering the rise of a moving fish, prospecting for out-the-blues, and spotting one coming along the margins that needs the trap set for it to find... maybe in 30 seconds from now...

And for that mixed approach, fuoro is nae use - you have to be able to sit a fly for a minute if need be at odd times. And always, it's a case of keeping the casting to the bare minimum. So, while you sit and wait for a fish, if your flies are sitting on the surface you are fishing, and might pull an OTB, but if they have sunk into the mud and weed on the bottom, then not so much. ;)

Col
I only have the evidence of experience but am convinced that FC sticks in the surface film more than nylon. As a fair weather fisherman on Welsh lakes I aways use low diameter nylon tippets and am not just casting to rising fish. If I use FC and get it through the surface film I then have the problem of the FC pulling the small flies under. But I now appreciate that FC is not a problem fishing Irish loughs in a wind with frequent casting or casting just to a rising fish. Thanks for all the interesting comments

Zugbug

JCP

Interesting thread chaps.One of my main misgivings with fluorocarbon is it breaks too easily in low diameters fishing dries on the reservoirs I fish.I use 4/5wt outfits for fishing dries.The low diameter nylon holds up well.
Maybe my skill set but me fishing 6x/7x tippet on Chew Valley and Blagdon Lakes here in the West Country or Farmoor in Oxfordshire would be courting disaster in my case.Usually fishing 3x/4x 0.18mm/0.20mm which is ''rope'' compared to 6x/7x.Bearing in mind rarely need to go down to size 16.Appreciate these are not ''wild'' fish except when you put a hook in them :eek:

JP

mackiia1

Interesting to hear this Ian, I’m assuming you don’t mind your leader floating on the surface? In my experience, any gains we might have when using fine diameters ,are lost if we can’t get it under the film.
Anything floating on top,regardless of what material it’s made of is going to be magnified x number of times due to the dent it makes in the meniscus.
I’m not so quick to fish as fine as I used to these days because of this.
Its very hard to see the small flies in the milky light of early morning so what we do is, as soon as the fly lands on the water we give it a small tug . This will cause the small fly to skate and you can pick up the flies movement and home in on it and helps sink the tippet. You must remember that the trout are usually high in the water moping up the spent Caenis and moving straight onto the fly if your cast is good. I must admit that if the fish come on the fly at a right angle they will often ignore it.
It's not easy fishing Jimmy , I struggle more times than I get it right. Some mornings the fish are zig zagging all over the place and getting the right cast is difficult. Some mornings it all falls into place and the fish swim right onto the fly and sip it down.
The better anglers have a knack of always putting the fly in the right place but I do struggle at times. On a good morning it will be the most exciting fishing ever , on a bad morning I often curse the Corrib and swear never to return. :D

Cap'n Fishy

... am convinced that FC sticks in the surface film more than nylon.
Me too. (y)

... If I use FC and get it through the surface film I then have the problem of the FC pulling the small flies under.
Me too. (y)

... But I now appreciate that FC is not a problem fishing Irish loughs in a wind with frequent casting or casting just to a rising fish.
This is the thing - we have so many different sets of circumstances. We all tend to back our own set, and we tend to be sceptical of others who we do not know and who are saying things at odds with our own experiences. Jimmy and I were discussing this today. What would be really good would be to do a 'water-swap' Have the Irish guys come over here and have a day of fishing dries with us, and then we go over there and get taken out by them... and then we all do the same with Gareth Jones, and anyone else who wants to join in... I bet we'd all get our eyes opened somewhere along the line...

We could all end up writing a good book on it. 😜

Col

mackiia1

Me too. (y)

Me too. (y)

This is the thing - we have so many different sets of circumstances. We all tend to back our own set, and we tend to be sceptical of others who we do not know and who are saying things at odds with our own experiences. Jimmy and I were discussing this today. What would be really good would be to do a 'water-swap' Have the Irish guys come over here and have a day of fishing dries with us, and then we go over there and get taken out by them... and then we all do the same with Gareth Jones, and anyone else who wants to join in... I bet we'd all get our eyes opened somewhere along the line...

We could all end up writing a good book on it. 😜

Col
It's not a good idea to say things like 'Never' or 'Always' when talking about fishing tactics.

Cap'n Fishy

It's not a good idea to say things like 'Never' or 'Always' when talking about fishing tactics.
I agree, but we are not using the words 'never' or 'always'. We are saying that fluoro is worse than nylon for sticking in the surface film. I think we could prove this with science if we set about it. We are also saying that when we fish small dries and want them to sit for a while, we can't use fluoro because (if we got it under) it pulls them down too soon. This is simply a fact, stated by many many folk on here.

Col

mackiia1

I agree, but we are not using the words 'never' or 'always'. We are saying that fluoro is worse than nylon for sticking in the surface film. I think we could prove this with science if we set about it. We are also saying that when we fish small dries and want them to sit for a while, we can't use fluoro because (if we got it under) it pulls them down too soon. This is simply a fact, stated by many many folk on here.

Col
I'm not disagreeing with anything you are saying Col .

mackiia1

I'm wondering what your point is in post # 56, when you are quoting me??? :unsure:

Col
You stated that 'we'd all get our eyes opened somewhere along the line' - I agree.
Too many variables involved in fishing for us anglers to say ' never ' or 'always'.
It's not aimed at you in particular - just a general comment for us all.