Dry fly fishing on reservoirs

arkle

Like Tenet & JCP, Gigafish for dries though min. needs to be 8lbs, for Chew & Blagdon though I think Martin uses 9.5.

Andrew Rourke

Stroft ABR for 90% of my fishing. Airflo G3 flouro for the rest.
Been that way for many a year now. 6 turn blood knot fly to flouro, and a Davy knot fly to Stroft. 2 turn water knot for droppers.

JCP

Stroft ABR for 90% of my fishing. Airflo G3 flouro for the rest.
Been that way for many a year now. 6 turn blood knot fly to flouro, and a Davy knot fly to Stroft. 2 turn water knot for droppers.
I too like Stroft although GTM.Use it for single fly fishing.Have found annoying memory for reservoir where often fishing dropper/droppers.

JP

Andrew Rourke

I too like Stroft although GTM.Use it for single fly fishing.Have found annoying memory for reservoir where often fishing dropper/droppers.

JP
I switched from GTM to ABR as it is slightly stiffer and less prone to what you mention. I mainly fish 2 dries and always from the bank, I found ABR helped Turnover if the breeze is less than favourable also.
All very minor tweaks that we pick up along the way, what works and what doesn't.
I still try different materials when the Notion takes me, but always revert to what I know best.
Is it all in the mind? I believe confidence to be a huge factor.

pati

I have reached the conclusion that it doesn’t matter much today what brand you use, it s all crazy strong for the diameter compared to 15years ago. What really matters is to know what you can ask from and what are the limits of your nylon/fluoro (coupled with your rod and line...) and consistency across spools over time.

I know there is probably better out there but I have settled on Rio Powerflex for nylon and Fulling Mill Worldclass fluorocarbon and couldn’t be happier!

For Stillwater fishing with good strong fish, I wouldn’t go below 0.16 as I only do C&R and therefore it wouldn’t be fair to a good fish to fight it for hours on 0.10mm tippet