Dry fly hook strength

codyarrow

Thinking of tying up some dries that would be used to target bigger fish. Which hooks would you recommend. Read recently there is quite a lot of variance in strength on hooks that on the surface look similar and are of the same gauge.

pati

Ken Sawada terrestrial for regular size/shape, or Ken Sawada Midge for small caddis shape.

These won't open, yet they are made for dries ;-)

PaulD

Depends what hook shape you're looking for but as someone who enjoys targeting quite large fish on small flies, I'd recommend you looking at the TMC2499SP-BL. The strongest I've found.

tmc2499sp-bl.jpg

codyarrow

Thanks for the replies. I do have some tiemco hooks, some of them so small I doubt I could tie them on these days. Will have to check what they are. Will have a look at the Ken Sawada hooks. Not to keen on barbless; one of the lochs I want to use these on there was only 5 fish caught all season.

iainmortimer

Hends dru fly hooks are my preference and have never let me down. It depends what you are tying though. A good strong wire hook can be supported with a big foam daddy long legs or a thick winged deer or elk sedge. Be careful with Tiemco pattern selection because some of them have a fine wire and so do check.

BobP

Be very wary of the Fasna hooks that are the same shape as the Tiemco hooks above. I forget the code number, but I have had quite a few pull out of shape which is not good news when you have a client looking on.

PaulD

Be very wary of the Fasna hooks that are the same shape as the Tiemco hooks above.

You may be referring to the Fasna F-120. The Tiemco is 2X strong and forged, the Fasna is standard wire. The F-100 is lighter still.

Last edited:

BobP

I've got rid of the boxes, but I think you may be right Paul. Trouble is I have quite a few flies in the nymph boxes tied on those hooks. The 16's & 18's don't appear to have the same problems as the 14's. I guess I'll work through them in the end, but it is damned annoying nonetheless.

arkle

Ken Sawada, retired some 2+ years ago, & his hooks stopped being made then.

pati

Ken Sawada, retired some 2+ years ago, & his hooks stopped being made then.

That s very bad news! I m glad i heavily stocked up on them just before then and out of pure luck!!!!

Will have to default onto varivas for my dry flies for Iceland then!

diawl bach

If you're after big fish a B175 wont sink an inherently buoyant fly like a sedgehog for example.
In my experience dry fly hooks all open to a degree if you have to give it a bit of welly, for example if a fish is weeded or when you're running out of fly line.

pedros

In the UK and for dry flies I'd suggest that because we use a bigger fly it doesn't necessarily mean we catch a bigger fish. With that in mind don't discount small flies in a size 16 using the most ubiquitous Kamasan B100 or B170. Small hooks in my experience tend to hook hold using a higher percentage of the hook - the load is right through the bend. I've found when using the same hooks in 12's and 14's there has been a tendency for the hook to spring open. So when using 12's and 14's I've tended to use a slightly heavier gauge on dries. Counter intuitive and anecdotal I suppose, but with considering.

arkle

Pati, don't forget to check out the "Ahrex" range of hooks, which ARE expensive but nothing compares with them for sheer strength & a lot of other factors

Latest posts