Dry Fly Only; 150yrs old this coming June.

warrenslaney

This coming June 5th will mark 150yrs since James Ogden, fishing the Wye below Bakewell Bridge, demonstrated his original floating dry flies to an audience of locals, fishermen, agents and keepers. Dry Fly Only was adopted the following day.

As a testimony to the man, who literally risked his neck to prove his flies would catch fish, we are planning a re-enactment this coming Ogden Day.

A horse and carriage will transport 'Mr Ogden' from the Peacock at 9.30am to Bakewell where an assembled crowd will watch 'Mr Ogden' use the tackle of the age, to try and hook a fish. No pressure. The media will be there to record the occasion.

You are welcome to join us. Peacock - 9.30am. Bakewell Bridge 10 - 10.30am depending on the horse...

cool breeze

Dry fly only never went far enough. Frankly every fishery ought to insist every angler arrives in a horse & carriage.

Hurrah for Mr Ogden...

:D

ohanzee

For someone that fishes much of what Ogden preached a long long way from chalk streams, and where the wet fly was until recently the entrenched tradition i'd like to hear the story, the prevailing attitudes of the day, Ogden's thinking and so on, can someone give us a brief account?

oscarthecat

Dry fly only never went far enough. Frankly every fishery ought to insist every angler arrives in a horse & carriage.

Hurrah for Mr Ogden...

:D
This one does! Then one sits in one's carriage while one's man tackles up and ties on the fly. Only then does one descend to the water's edge, where one's fishing man casts and then hands one the rod. Is there another way to fish?

:whistle:OtC

ohanzee

You mean the only legitimate method?..

:thumbs:
Even more so, if you were going to restrict to one method to conserve fish, why pick the most efficient and successful one at catching them:confused:

Obviously i have missed a key part of the story.

beryl

Thanks for that too. A charming story nicely penned by Richard.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

Even more so, if you were going to restrict to one method to conserve fish, why pick the most efficient and successful one at catching them:confused:

Obviously i have missed a key part of the story.
They suddenly caught so many they ran out of freezer space.... Then some bright spark says let's put then back. Everyone had a chuckle then started throwing them back the next day!

ohanzee

Thanks for that too. A charming story nicely penned by Richard.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 PM ----------

They suddenly caught so many they ran out of freezer space.... Then some bright spark says let's put then back. Everyone had a chuckle then started throwing them back the next day!
So it was freezers that influenced the direction of traditional dry fly fishing?:)

richardw

Trade Member
Cheers for that, its a part of fly fishing history that should be more known, i still wonder how such a successful method conserves fish though.
It means the fish are only vulnerable to the angler when they feed at the surface. When they feed below the surface they are in sanctuary and cannot be caught legitimately.

richard

ohanzee

It means the fish are only vulnerable to the angler when they feed at the surface. When they feed below the surface they are in sanctuary and cannot be caught legitimately.

richard
I see, so there is always a time when they can't be caught, does this work? i would have thought it just meant everyone wants to fish when hatches are on.

Reg Wyatt

richard
That's why big daddy long legs are plopped down onto said sanctuary to make fish come to the surface. Dry fly fishing only indeed.

Reg Wyatt

warrenslaney

There are some who put so much pressure on themselves to catch and therefore disregard the rule and others who fail to realise dry fly fishing does not begin and end with a choice of fly. Most just come and have fun fishing within a tradition that has stood the test of time.

Get wry at...

Last edited:

warrenslaney

Great, great fun. Thanks all who came along, whether you heckled, cheered, popped champagne or just watched as Mr Odgen catched his trout below Bakewell Bridge.

'The future is dry fly' he cried, as they chased him out of town...:D

bill1

Damn. I missed the original post. I'd love to have seen it. If you can put up any reports when they arrive in the Mail Coach from Buxton, I shall be much obliged.

I remain, Sir

Your Most Humble, Obedient...