Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dry Fly Stock Up

835 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  baztek1 
#1 · (Edited)
Fishing flies not show flies [emoji41]

None take long to tie and all do well

The duns are size 18 and 16 ( and the only ones you will ever need [emoji12] )

The Parachutes are 18s,

The CDC and Elk and Egg Laying Cadis are 15s and 14,

The Snow Show Emerges are 19 and the G Gnat and F-Flies are 18s

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Jeff, [emoji106]

Just a general stock up, I lost my full dry fly box a couple of months back so had to sit down and hammer them out the next couple of days after. I tied 79 in one sitting, Couldn't face tying the 80th lol.

These are just adding to that but the last four will see me well for Grayling over into December if I'm lucky with the weather.

I tied a load of soft hackles and Jinglers but these dont photograph well at all.

I caught my last Grayling on a dry on December the 6th last year and caught it on a sparkle G Gnat. Which reminds me that I'll need to tie some of those [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Baz, lovely pics. What are the materials for the parachute dries? Agree with going small. Size 16 cdc and elk a super fly for me. Also what are the materials for the SHE? Do you use this for olives only, or sedge hatches too? Cheers

#11 ·
thanks for all the comments guys :thumbs:

Baz, lovely pics. What are the materials for the parachute dries? Agree with going small. Size 16 cdc and elk a super fly for me. Also what are the materials for the SHE? Do you use this for olives only, or sedge hatches too? Cheers
thanks spider :thumbs: the materials for the Paras are : CDL Tail, Aero wing, Beaver fur - i used all different colours but the ones shown use an light grey colour, and a cree hackle. I also used trico thread.

The SHE is as Bod uses, plucked hairs mask and snow shoe rabbit foot. The SSRF in the one shown has been dyed dun, you cant really see it in the picture but you can in normal light.

I generally use these late and early season. I have had fish take them when both small up-wings and small sedge have been coming off and when it looks like they have been feeding on aphids or midge.

Lovely flies! If you like to use snow shoe check out the Matt's gnat which I find to be very effective.
i had a load of Matts Gnats tied up in black and cream which are siuperb flies and like all snow show flies almost indestructible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.