DT OR WF

mr_eejit

Looking to start fishing on the river this year, bought a 9' #4 fly rod and a WF Floating #4 weight flyline, its bought now, but was just wondering if I would have been better buying a DT flyline for the river or should the WF be ok? As far as I'm aware the river I'm hoping to fish is from 5m - 20metres wide

treecutter

Imo the only benefit of a DT is you have twice the life span than a WF, WF lines now are alot more advanced than years ago when it was DT that was the go to line for river fishing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Rhithrogena

Level lines came first, then a taper at the front, then a taper at both ends so you could turn the soggy line round at lunchtime and use the dry end. WF lines were designed for distance casting. Most river casts don't even get onto the running line on a WF so no point in using one.
Sadly manufacturers don't want us to fish DT's as we would buy half as many lines, and so there is not much choice amongst double taper lines these days.
So use the WF for sure, but realise we have all been hoodwinked to an extent, by the industry....

Gdog

Level lines came first, then a taper at the front, then a taper at both ends so you could turn the soggy line round at lunchtime and use the dry end. WF lines were designed for distance casting. Most river casts don't even get onto the running line on a WF so no point in using one.
Sadly manufacturers don't want us to fish DT's as we would buy half as many lines, and so there is not much choice amongst double taper lines these days.
So use the WF for sure, but realise we have all been hoodwinked to an extent, by the industry....
I agree, I know some die hard lough fishers in Ireland that still use their double taper floating lines, because they can turn them around when one end is worn out, and think I'm nuts for using WF lines.

Rhithrogena

I agree, I know some die hard lough fishers in Ireland that still use their double taper floating lines, because they can turn them around when one end is worn out, and think I'm nuts for using WF lines.
Thanks. DT lines have very stable casting characteristics too, and are great for long accurate casts with great turnover. Great for the Spey casts and just better for a lot of fishing. Should be the default line for 90% of fly fishing imo.

Tangled

You're fine with your WF. Almost all lines sold now are WF, they're easier to cast, particularly for a beginner.

Rhithrogena

Here we go.
😂 To qualify: Until you are casting 50' or so (depending on head length) there is no advantage to using a WF. By the time you are casting that far, you're an improver and would be better learning the skill and muscle memory to hold 60' or more of DT in the air. Yes, you can advance to casting 70' feet more quickly after that with a WF, but at the expense of turnover and presentation. I say learn to cast a good length with the DT (or 'long belly' WF if you must) but the 'brick on a string' approach results in poor technique when people want to progress later.

Tangled

You old fuddy-duddy, get with the times, you'll be forcing people to use bamboo rods to learn on next

Rhithrogena

Recognise this?
Screenshot_20210311-231643.png

So which has the heavier forward bit?

sewinbasher

The key benefit of DT is delicate presentation and being reversible, the key benefit of WF, especially small stream versions, is that they load the rod better on short casts. Either will be perfectly fine for 99% of situations.

Last edited:

Tangled

So which has the heavier forward bit?

Line profiles have moved on a little since they were simply half of a DT - ever see a DT that has two ends like this?

1606923203577-png.33088

Or this

1606922981453-png.33086

Or this

plus-tt-taper.png

Surely you know that WF line profiles are no longer half of a double taper?

Latest posts