Durness limestone lochs

wildbroonie

Hi All,
Can anybody confirm that the Cape Wrath Hotel no longer has the fishing rights to the Durness limestone lochs? Heard they are now in the hands of the Keodale sheep stock club!?
Wildbroonie

guest27

Not sure but the hotel was charging 25-30 quid a day for them last year which, up there, is daylight robbery.

W

wildfisher

It is indeed in the hands of Keodale sheep shaggers, sorry sheep stock club! They have a web site but are non committal about prices. These lochs are overrated in any case - better going to Caithness - and were certainly never worth what the current hotel owners were asking. Jack (pervious owner) was disorganised to the point of shambles but at least he did not rip you off

Kalemouth

For what it's worth, and in the absence of any other claimant, I believe I am the holder of the British Cave Trout record, having nabbed a mighty 3oz speciment in Smoo Cave a few years back. Moreover, I don't recall being charged anything to fish this illustrious venue.

wildbroonie

I fished it 2 years ago whilst staying at the hotel, although the fishing was good i thought the hotel was a bit run down looking and not worth the high prices, we hardly got a word out the owner except when we were handing the cash over to her funnily enough!!
Wildbroonie

Paul T

The Scourie Hotel now has a boat on Loch Caladail and a boat on Loch Hope as well as 3 boats on Loch Stack, 1 boat on Loch More plus the 15 Hotel boats on the Brown Trout lochs.
At this rate, we won't need to walk at all!

ramage

Limestone lochs

Just returned from a trip to Durness and was very disapointed when i saw five boats on Loch caladail and three people fishing from the bank, thats thirteen people on such a small wild loch,
Fishing the loch at night we had the usual hatch of buzzers that we have encountered many times on previous visits but the fish sizes have dramatically reduced since the sheep farmers have taken over,and all the big trout have been raped from the loch,
I believe something has to be done now or we will lose probably the best wild fishing lochs in Scotland, someone has to step in and manage this properly and not treat such an amazing place like a local stockie pond,
Maybe the hotel was expensive but when you look at the package it wasnt a bad deal, sheep stock guy took £25 a rod for Borleigh from us

tattiebogle

I also was disgusted to see such a Gem of a wild trout loch being hammered recently..Like you said the bigger trout on Caladail seem to have disapeared.
I suppose they will just put more boats on the other lochs now aswell until they have also been raped.
My feelings are harsh but i think these guys should stick to sheep farming and stop cashing in on such a Gem of a loch...

Jeltz

It was a few years ago now so I dont know what its like today, but we stayed in a guest house in Durness, the woman / landlady owned part of the loch and land we fished on, so that was free. We also got permission off some young lad to fish various lochs, Borralie and Caladale I think. You can fish parts of the Kyle of Durness for Salmon and sea trout for free, but go near the hotel on the bank of the Kyle and it will cost you a hundred quid a day.

Also met Jimmy Smoo, the mad laird who ran us off a loch for using spinners, nice bloke apparently when he isnt in a fit of rage :D :D :whistle: :cool:

A. Fluker

Yep the last two years on the way to Orkney I have driven around those lochs waiting for the ferry and I must say they do look appealing.

grayson

having spent some magic and unforgettable days and nights on the limestones, and some entertaining evenings in the Cape Wrath hotel bar,the loss of these lochs is a tragedy . The hotel was eccentric and the beds lumpy and the food dire but I loved it- Jack Watson was a bloody fine host . Mind you ,there are some cracking lochs near Durness which aren't on limestone....

ps- when I fished the Kyle for salmon it was tenner- hundred quid - really ??

tattiebogle

having spent some magic and unforgettable days and nights on the limestones, and some entertaining evenings in the Cape Wrath hotel bar,the loss of these lochs is a tragedy . The hotel was eccentric and the beds lumpy and the food dire but I loved it- Jack Watson was a bloody fine host . Mind you ,there are some cracking lochs near Durness which aren't on limestone....

ps- when I fished the Kyle for salmon it was tenner- hundred quid - really ??

What other Lochs around Durness have you tried??

Are they really better than the limestone lochs??

ramage

Sheepfermers

If the local sheepfermers get left in charge any longer these Quality lochs will be full o stocked rainbows, hate to say it but thats the way its going to end, GREED will get the better o them, sorry it already has.........

tattiebogle

GlenGollyWogs (Keodle sheep farmer with fishing rights to Lochs) pockets will be full of anglers money but the lochs will certainly be empty of quality fish...I really wish i vould do more to protect these lochs as they are a natural treasure..

jaggy

If the local sheepfermers get left in charge any longer these Quality lochs will be full o stocked rainbows, hate to say it but thats the way its going to end, GREED will get the better o them, sorry it already has.........

Thats already happened in Assynt.A couple of wee lochs on the road to drumbeg from stoer have become Lagg fishery:eek: we were there for a week saw 1 other angler and never fished the Lagg:D they have it all fenced off with signs everywhere an argocat track around it boats and charge a fortune to fish for pellet pigs in a broony heaven:rolleyes:.I believe something has to be done to prevent this kind of pish as i would like my wee boy to enjoy wild trout fishing in the future.I understand commercial fishery politics and people have to make a crust but please dont destroy our natural stocks.on a personal note i fished a central belt fishery last night and caught and returned 3 wild browns without touching them in the net:D:D paid 18£ for the pleasure:rolleyes: fished it last week and caught a 2lb bow:) when was i happiest? aye last night:guinness:.
mick

johnandjosh

I spoke to them this morning and Loch Lanish is max 3 rods and is £15 per day per rod and you can also fish Caladail on the same ticket. It really would be a shame if it became a 'put n'take' plenty of those down here which is why we fish the wild streams.

Z

zoomer

their is little threat of the durness lochs becoming stocked or becoming put and take or whatever else, they are still less expensive than the average rainbow fishery and just because they cannot be caught conveniently on a day ticket doesnt mean the bigger fish are all gone.

muddler9

Thats already happened in Assynt.A couple of wee lochs on the road to drumbeg from stoer have become Lagg fishery

Yes, it's sacrilege but hopefully it's doomed to failure. The locals certainly won't fish it, and we who visit do so for the wild fish. I drove past it 4 times last week and no-one was fishing.
They may lure a few mug tourists but given the short season up there I can't see them breaking even let alone making a profit.