Dyeing a Hen Cape

jaybeegee

I’ve been tying yellow spiders using a pale gingerish hen cape for hackle, but I would prefer a lemon yellow colour, so toying with the idea of dye. Never done it and don’t know where to start really, but would welcome some advice for dyeing the cape.
B

philm

PaulD

. . . using a pale gingerish hen cape for hackle, but I would prefer a lemon yellow colour, so toying with the idea of dye.
B

You're not going to achieve a lemon yellow by dying a 'gingerish' cape. Dying is completely dependant upon the dye colour being able 'overcome' the base colour, to achieve a lemon yellow you'd need to dye a white cape.

jaybeegee

You're not going to achieve a lemon yellow by dying a 'gingerish' cape. Dying is completely dependant upon the dye colour being able 'overcome' the base colour, to achieve a lemon yellow you'd need to dye a white cape.
I see. So the base material should be a lighter shade than the desired result. I suppose it could be bleached first, but tbh I don’t think the finished article would justify the effort. Thanks PaulD.
B

Cap'n Fishy

I think if you are going to get into dyeing it's worth getting your head round a few basics. These are things like;

1) the difference between transmitted and reflective colours, and so...
2) the difference between additive and subtractive colours
3) the primary, secondary and tertiary colours, with respect to the red/blue/yellow and the CMYK colour systems
4) the differences between tints, tones and shades
5) dyeing onto base materials/overdyeing coloured materials

Just as a for example, in the CMYK system, olive is defined as: 100% yellow/50% black. Well, taking 50% black as being grey... if you dye grey deer hair yellow, it comes out olive. QED!

I think a basic grasp of the above helps enormously with setting your aims and choosing your starting materials. (y)

If you want a light, bright colour like yellow, or sunburst or even hot orange or kingfisher blue, you have to start with a white base.

If I was going for lemon yellow, I would start with a pure white cape.

Veniard bright yellow will give you this...

Bright Yellow

Or Jacquard 601, which is Yellow Sun

I think I would go for the Jacquard option - I love the Jacquard dyes.

I find that on a cape, a ratio of about 3% w/w material to dye gives a good result. You don't want to overdo it, or you kill the brightness. 😜

Col

Last edited:

arkle

You can always double dye it, in the same mix to deepen the colour. Also, if it's to bright, & after it's dried then you can tone it down a bit with a darker colour in a very weak mix. The 2nd dye can be from a different maker & ideally for natural materials they should both be "acid" dyes, which Veniard's is.

Last edited:

doobrysnatcher

tonight i tried dying bright yellow (verniards ) on a few samples ,im happy enough, but the colours arent that vibrant , maybe i should of used white vinegar or would that make a difference
1st is a grizzly sample i done
187923813_525800642164068_3346360758548109670_n.jpg
in the photo its still not fully dry so maybe it will brighten
next is partridge sample
187862260_525800708830728_1066286659448924955_n.jpg
i like this one grey partridge
and thirdly i tried deer left it in longer but went a mustard colour
187990192_525800742164058_9150459776623068717_n.jpg

Cap'n Fishy

tonight i tried dying bright yellow (verniards ) on a few samples ,im happy enough, but the colours arent that vibrant , maybe i should of used white vinegar or would that make a difference
1st is a grizzly sample i donein the photo its still not fully dry so maybe it will brighten
next is partridge sample i like this one grey partridge
and thirdly i tried deer left it in longer but went a mustard colour

Remember Ken that none of those materials started as a pure white base, so you will only get so far towards a really bright yellow with them. If your deer hair was a grey base, then dyeing it yellow will give you olive. Partridge feathers don't have much pure white in them, so I think you have got a good result there. Your grizzle hackles look like they might benefit from a second dip - and a bit longer in the bath?

Here is a white cock cape and a grizzle hen cape dyed in the same sunburst mix. There is a big difference in the results...

Col