dying [first attempt]

sage fan

very nice :thumbs:
Was it a black saddle that you have over dyed?

No it was a light ginger, I like the claret as dark as possible. In daylight its is a tad lighter than the pictures show.

UV HOG

Here's another few pics of our dying exploits
2012-07-12163613.jpg

2012-07-12163120.jpg

A couple of dyed saddles. Again, there's a hint of WOI.
2012-07-12163922.jpg

Last edited:

Guest101

Nice work. You've got the bug now then lads! :D Try leaving those capes in the press a bit longer though, they look like they've dried too quickly and will be more prone to cracking and breaking up. ;) Not that it'll make a difference to the colour.

K.Cutt

Nice work. You've got the bug now then lads! :D Try leaving those capes in the press a bit longer though, they look like they've dried too quickly and will be more prone to cracking and breaking up. ;) Not that it'll make a difference to the colour.

Alex on some small capes I have even dried them with a hair dryer which doesn't seem to be a problem, I then use neats foot oil on the skin which seems to keep them nice and supple.

UV HOG

Eck,
Funny you've mentioned that, we were just talking about that yesterday. Next batch will be well and truly pressed. Will also try the 50/50 glycerine and surgical spirt mix brushed onto the skin. Was an excellent Dying SBS you did.:thumbs:

I might have to buy another hair dryer. The girls not to pleased when it goes missing!!

Last edited:

Guest101

Alex on some small capes I have even dried them with a hair dryer which doesn't seem to be a problem, I then use neats foot oil on the skin which seems to keep them nice and supple.

Fair do's Kevin, I've never tried neats foot oil on skins. I used to use it on my boots years ago though.

Eck,
Funny you've mentioned that, we were just talking about that yesterday. Next batch will be well and truly pressed. Will also try the 50/50 glycerine and surgical spirt mix brushed onto the skin. Was an excellent Dying SBS you did.:thumbs:

I might have to buy another hair dryer. The girls not to pleased when it goes missing!!

Alan, I've dropped the 50/50 glycerine/surgical spirit mix and just leave them in the press for a week or so now, with one change of paper. They dry nice and flat and considerably less likely to crack. I'm guessing the slower drying process helps to maintain some natural oils in the skin. Not sure, but the over all results are more durable. If you can't wait that long, just nab a few feathers and pop the skin back in the press. :D

Glad the SBS was helpful. :thumbs: