Ea baliffs

scottratt

Has anyone ever had their rod licence checked. I’ve been fishing for years and never been checked. I’ve always had one, I just wonder what we actually pay for. I’ve heard of them doing Spot checks on still waters. It never a river. I suppose it’s easy to check 20 people on a still water but fairly difficult to walk up and down a river trying to find people.

eddleston123

Doesn't sound like there is a lot of policing there then!

This doesn't apply to me, as I live in Scotland, but just as an aside, I have only ever had my trout permit for the Tweed checked twice in over fifty years fishing!

Douglas

glueman

Twice two Saturdays running on the dove one week and the Wye the next. Was told by him that still waters and course fishing was the best way to catch licence dodgers

taffy1

Our club treasurer is an EA (NRW) bailiff, my licence is checked every year by him. While he patrols our rivers & stillwaters, he is accompanied by a wildlife crime officer.

Mrtrout

Twice by the same bailiff at Bolton Willows, Raymond Clark, he was very very strict, retired now and never seen a bailiff since.
I don’t mind at all I always carry my license not enough of them now in the North West.
S.

PaulD

Once, about 20 years ago on quite a remote part of the Teifi. When I mentioned to the bailiff that it was the first time I'd had my licence checked he said it was because he'd seen my car in the gateway and could see I was fishing in the field below and that to 'make his target' he'd usually check stillwater fisheries because of the numbers present and ease of checking.

icejohn

Usually at big trout lakes...and they target a comp which is annoying as u pushed for time anyway getting kit down to boats etc. Probabaly checked 4 times in 20 years.

But frankly if I was doing the job I would probably do the same lol.

No point in wandering remote rivers maybe checking 3 people when u can do 50 odd in one day at big lake numbers game basically.

Always felt that it's a tax and money should come direct from central govt. The ea has something about their funding saying every penny or the license goes back etc to angling etc. They do what they can blah blah

Basically feels like u paying for some body to check you paying for your license and little else. I have yet to see or hear about their work on any of the waters I fish on. They post up restoring a river in Cornwall etc which I will never get to fish. Kinda like the lotto if they do work in your area great u benefit and feel like u won the jackpot. Flip side is if never see them doing stuff or hearing about doing stuff in your local area feels like u you paying money out.

Last edited:

bobmiddlepoint

Has anyone ever had their rod licence checked. I’ve been fishing for years and never been checked. I’ve always had one, I just wonder what we actually pay for. I’ve heard of them doing Spot checks on still waters. It never a river. I suppose it’s easy to check 20 people on a still water but fairly difficult to walk up and down a river trying to find people.

In theory you are paying for habitat monitoring and improvement, monitoring of fish stocks, pollution monitoring, anti poaching patrols (targeted at migratory fish), taking polluters and poachers to court etc etc. Checking that tight fisted anglers have a licence should be well down the list of priorities as everyone who needs one should go and buy one!

It is true that not as much is done by the EA these days compared to years ago and the days of the NRA but then they are stretched very thin now. The money you pay doesn't go very far at all. You try funding a bailiff force out of the few quid anglers pay for the licence.

Andy

PaulD

JohnH

I have had my EA licence checked more than once. Similar feedback to the comments upthread, it was at Sutton Bingham reservoir in springtime. There are several commercial coarse fisheries in the north west Dorset / east Somerset area and if the bailiffs do a sweep at some of those plus Sutton Bingham on a spring Saturday, it's an effective use of their time.

BobP

Is it an effective use of an enforcement officer's time walking 5 miles of river to see two or three anglers when he could use a third of that time checking 50 anglers on a popular day ticket coarse fishery? Answers on a postcard.

Have a look at what anglers pay in licences in some other countries and thank your lucky stars you pay so little.

Rob Edmunds

I get checked once a year every other year, at Grafham - before the start of a big match as you register for the match.

I tell him every time it's a total waste of his time, as if I didn't have a rod licence I can buy one from the lodge or online before signing in....and this is just an exercise to say he has checked 120 rod licences..

It's all very well saying walking 5 miles to check 3 or 4 anglers is a waste of a bailiffs time......but I'd argue you should target resources where you will potentially find problems....

In Spain a couple of years back when I was fishing the Ebro we were checked every day by the local Police......if you hadn't got a licence you were thrown off and your kit seized, and then you were fined.....

icejohn

Well useful time spent is very debatable.

Revenue enforcement if we call it that = checking licences 30% of the time maybe as high as say 50% who knows just speculation at this stage right.

That leaves the other percentage to do what we think they should be doing. Ie catching commercial salamon poaches, restoring habitat etc.

Where as if their funding was direct from govt. 0% of time spent checking licenses and rest of the time doing what they should be doing.

Easy to suggest stuff I know but the 20millon odd generated the % of that is just time spent checking licenses seems a waste of money to me.

Where one of their mottos is something about improving water quality for everyone... That's every one and one assumes everyone is a tax payer so central funding would make sence.

BobP

It's all very well saying walking 5 miles to check 3 or 4 anglers is a waste of a bailiffs time......but I'd argue you should target resources where you will potentially find problems....
...... and long experience has shown that to be where anglers congregate in numbers. Even when I first joined the water industry in 1977 it was perfectly obvious that day ticket or free fisheries were most likely to throw up the problems, In those days my "hot" spots were Tring reservoirs, Rickmansworth Aquadrome, Aldenham Reservoir, Cowley Lake, Black Park Lake, the Slough Arm of the Grand Union Canal to name but a few. I would check the likes of Latimer Park Trout Fishery for a bit of light relief and could walk the entire length of the River Chess without seeing a single angler.

When I retired from the EA licence evasion was down to around 5% and had been for several years. It is accepted that there will always be a proportion of idiots who will avoid paying a rod licence the same as there is a proportion of idiots who drink & drive, who avoid paying their car tax and insurance and who don't have a driving licence.

Same sort of idiots basically.

ejw

On our river, we have a good repour with the EA. They do check the odd licence, mainly near our lower weir (they can park up next to it) although I have only been checked twice in 50 odd years. A bonus is that they help with "checking" the health of our river, advise with habitat improvement and have also appeared at our weekly bankwork sessions (mostly for the tea and biscuits). It is also a good deterrent for local poachers. We would all like to see more action, but with their limited recourses there is only so much and so many places they can attend.
Instead of moaning about them, it is far better to work with them. If nothing else getting to know "your" local EA team is always a good thing. By local the nearest could be 50+ miles away, so think about this before complaining at the lack of "checks".

Bongoch

Never been checked by an EA officer but I have been asked to produce it a couple of times when purchasing a day ticket. Pretty sure I was asked to produce it last time I bought a day ticket for the Nidderdale AC stretch of the Nidd.

I have wondered in the past whether it should be compulsory to produce a valid licence before being allowed to purchase a day/season ticket?

DaveM

Once in nearly 60 years of fishing and that was more than ten years ago at Chalk Springs. Never checked when I used to coarse fish in Hereford on the Wye and Lugg.