Fly Fishing Forum banner

Early Morning Trout

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  tobesfish 
#1 ·
I've been really restricted to when I have been able to fish recently and beginning to get desperate so am thinking about making the most of this sunday off by starting as early as possible (dawn). Are there any tips people can offer, I'll be in south Devon either Teign or Avon on the passport.

I know the hatches have been good earlier in the season but I haven't ventured out this early before so would love some help!

Any favoured patterns or approaches people can think of. Trout only river, no grayling or coarse as far as i know.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
If allowed then a streamer/wooley Bu**ger can be very productive in the very early morning as the big fish are still out and about.

Take care

Terry

#4 ·
In spring hatches of upwing flies usually appear in the early afternoon, and grannom appear in the morning, depending on light conditions.

In the summer, hatches during morning and early afternoon decrease, and the main activity is in the late evening when the upwing flies return to the river, lay eggs on the surface and die.

This means that the trout are harder to catch in the morning and afternoon, as apart from terrestrials landing on the water, there's not many flies about to stimulate the trout to feed.

I never fancy staying until dusk to catch a trout, so if I fish in summer, I'll arrive about breakfast time and fish till lunch. It helps if the sky is overcast and there's a bit of a breeze.

#5 ·
"An hour in the gloaming is worth ten in the day." as the old saying goes. There is a dawn rise but it's nothing like the frantic half-hour of rising mayhem between 10.15 and 10.45pm on my Sottish river at the moment. Is it worth getting up for? It's certainly magical being at the river so early. I rarely make though as I am not a morning person...

#7 ·
The thing that I like about the 'frantic' evening rise (other than the fact that you have the potential to catch more and bigger fish) is that you see fish in places that you previously thought were devoid of them.

I will often fish pools/runs/riffles etc, during the day, and with confidence, because I know they contain plenty fish, as I've witnessed them the previous evening. These are often locations I would normally have bypassed during the day.

Douglas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.