Early season in Ireland

shortcircuit

So for those of us in Ireland lucky enough, some of our rivers have been open since Feb 15th. I was wondering how people have been getting on.
I have managed a couple of sessions and have gotten fish each day. Been mainly fishing water 2-3 feet deep so I have been getting away with dry dropper with a reasonably heavy nymph.

Each day, the fish have come in a flurry when the weather got a little warmer around lunchtime and there was a little bit of insect activity.

So if anyone has been fishing, how has it been for you ?

D

Deleted member 90002

So for those of us in Ireland lucky enough, some of our rivers have been open since Feb 15th. I was wondering how people have been getting on.
I have managed a couple of sessions and have gotten fish each day. Been mainly fishing water 2-3 feet deep so I have been getting away with dry dropper with a reasonably heavy nymph.

Each day, the fish have come in a flurry when the weather got a little warmer around lunchtime and there was a little bit of insect activity.

So if anyone has been fishing, how has it been for you ?
I've had one session had 2 takes on a heavy nymph was a warm day a little sun.. Haven't been back since as the water had made the river dangerous.
May drop down tommorrow as some good weather approaching.
You will hear a cheer if I catch.
😜

D

Deleted member 90002

Heading out tomorrow to fish the River Bride .
It will be my first day out this year. Water is still a bit high but I'm going out anyway .
Weather forecast is for 12 degrees and cloudy.
Stay safe and best of luck..

Gdog

It will be my first day out this year. Water is still a bit high but I'm going out anyway .
I still can't go anywhere because of the 5km lockdown limit, no rivers or lakes within 5km of where I live. The closest stillwater fishing to me is about 20 km. That's the problem with living in Dublin, me a country boy and all. 😢

Roll on the easing of restrictions.

shortcircuit

Very well so far, I have been using two types mainly. A steeply tapered one for nymphing and one pretty much based on the formula you posted.

I have been fishing a lot of dry dropper so that affects the casting turnover a good bit, but am looking forward to a hatch situation and fishing single dry dry fly to really give it a good test

shortcircuit

Let us know how you get on, I hope to be back on the Bride soon

jerryrum

I still can't go anywhere because of the 5km lockdown limit, no rivers or lakes within 5km of where I live. The closest stillwater fishing to me is about 20 km. That's the problem with living in Dublin, me a country boy and all. 😢

Roll on the easing of restrictions.
I don't know where about's in Dublin you are, but when I visited I had a couple of great sessions on the River Dodder.

mackiia1

Probably couldn't have picked a worse day for my first day fishing if I tried . Water is high , cold and clear - plus the predicted cloud cover never showed up so it was bright blue sky all day . I didn't see a fly all day so nothing rising.
I managed to get 5 or 6 Brownies on nymphs , but the fishing was poor to be honest . Places where I always get fish produced nothing - strange.
Anyway , I'm off the mark - things can only get better - I hope.
Brownie.jpg
Metal Bridge.jpg

Attachments

• BT.jpg
    BT.jpg
    724 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 90002

Probably couldn't have picked a worse day for my first day fishing if I tried . Water is high , cold and clear - plus the prdicted cloud cover never showed up so it was bright blue sky all day . I didn't see a fly all day so nothing rising.
I managed to get 5 or 6 Brownies on nymphs , but the fishing was poor to be honest . Places where I always get fish produced nothing - strange.
Anyway , I'm off the mark - things can only get better - I hope.View attachment 37377View attachment 37378
Looks lovely mate good to get out..

D

Deleted member 90002

I'd a few nice fish on nymphs at the river Bush yesterday. Only saw 2 fish rise all day though even though there was a decent hatch around noon. Early days I guess.
I've been looking at the river Bush for a trip later in season.. It seems a decent stretch of water have you ever fished lough Keenaghan in Belleek?

Latest posts