East Anglian rod company

J.kerslake

Hi, can any one shed any light on a rod I bought a while back on eBay, all I know is it’s an East Anglian rod company, A392 8ft. I’m really wondering what line I would need for it, I’d hope to use it on local rivers if it’s suitable.

BobP

Hi, can any one shed any light on a rod I bought a while back on eBay, all I know is it’s an East Anglian rod company, A392 8ft. I’m really wondering what line I would need for it, I’d hope to use it on local rivers if it’s suitable.
This a rod from back in the 1980's. I had a friend who was a rep for the company and he loaned me a rod - an 8' rod which may be very similar to the one you mention. I certainly didn't use a #4 or #5 on it, more like a #6 which was typical of the day. Try a #6 on it first.

ejw

Talk about a coincident ? I had just sorted out one of these rods for a friend who has a hankering to try some of the old rods (he should know better), mine was glass fibre and as BobP says try a 6wt.
I had two of these glass rods, the East Anglian one, bought new in 1979 and a Hardy (with a difference) a local violin maker gave it to me in the 1980's but he had whipped patterns into the blank and varnished the whole rod ? No idea of the date for this rod.
As for how they fish ! Fine on small fish, but any size and both will go oval and collapse. This is why they have been in a cupboard for 30+ years.

BobP

Mine was one of their earliest forays into carbon. I used it with great success on the Austrian rivers including a scrap with a near 2lb wild rainbow that took me downstream over two rapids before I caught up with it, soaked from the waist down. That would have been in 1983.

Cooperman

You probably won’t go far wrong if you use the Common Cents System to determine line choice and characteristics of your rod. I think it will work well enough for your purposes and only takes a few minutes besides it being an interesting exercise.

jaybeegee

This thread has brought back memories of the EA Rod Co float rod I bought in the the late seventies. It was, as I recall, very nicely made with a very tippy action..a great stick float rod and it caught me lots of grayling. I lost it along with a good centrepin when my car was nicked.
( Sorry, that’s no good at all to the o.p….)
B

Cooperman

I am also a relative beginner and that’s why rather than being recommended to buy more than one line and try them I suggested the CCS system. Inexperienced people don’t have the knowledge to expertly differentiate that’s why it’s better to measure, then buy one line which is most likely to be the most appropriate anyway.
It’s easy to use the CCS system if you look it up. It simply involves using weights to bend the rod a third of its length. The Sameo website shows how to do it and has an easy quick on line calculator.

Rhithrogena

I am also a relative beginner and that’s why rather than being recommended to buy more than one line and try them I suggested the CCS system. Inexperienced people don’t have the knowledge to expertly differentiate that’s why it’s better to measure, then buy one line which is most likely to be the most appropriate anyway.
It’s easy to use the CCS system if you look it up. It simply involves using weights to bend the rod a third of its length. The Sameo website shows how to do it and has an easy quick on line calculator.
Or the O.P. could accept the acquired wisdom and put #6 on it 😉