Eating of shot game

kevind62

Trust Member
I like to mess with their heads, so I drive 200 miles and go into Sainsbury's Local. I also go into Tesco Express and spend as long as I do in the big Tesco.

That might be wasted on an American? šŸ¤­
Not really. ;) We have whitetail deer on our land here where I live, yet I travel 1000+ miles to shoot the ones you see on my wall. And spend considerably more on a license that it costs me at home. :) The one I recently made jerky of is a "local" deer here at home. They're a bit smaller here but just as fun and challenging to hunt. We have pheasant farms/preserves close to home also, but to shoot wild birds you have to travel quite a bit north from here (900 miles is the closest terrain and conditions that will support wild, reproducing pheasant). I don't mind the drive for that either.

kevind62

Trust Member
For some reason I'm not seeing the option to edit anymore. It should be "I used to dabble in taxidermy". This autocorrect can be a pain. I'm not always looking for it to change my wording without my consent.

sage5

I have all of the necessary tools and ingredients for curing and tanning in my shop. I used to table in taxidermy in my spare time. I mounted all of the animals I have on my walls. I also cure and tan all of my predator hides (coyotes, fox, bobcats, badgers, raccoons, etc.), and leftover pieces of deer hides. I use it in my fly tying along with lots of natural bird feathers from birds I've taken on hunts (turkey, pheasant, bobwhite quail, Hungarian partridge, chukar, grouse, and waterfowl.). If it weren't so costly to ship across the pond I'd gladly send you as much as you need.
Do you ever skin and cure the pelt of a sika? Some of us are looking for some sika hair to do WOIGO - it seems to be better than roe at getting the exact colour.
COL how do you send some one a pm or can you pm me

Cap'n Fishy

I have all of the necessary tools and ingredients for curing and tanning in my shop.
One thing I have found with deer hair - if you want to be able to dye it afterwards, then cure or salt it, but don't tan it. Tanned deer hair tends to separate from the skin when you dye it. I dry it and preserve it with a 50:50 mix of borax and alum. It dyes really nicely. I have some stuff that someone else did, and I'm not sure of their method - maybe just salt? - but when you dye it, the skin swells up to about a quarter inch thick and curls up in a tight roll... but at least the hair doesn't all fall off! šŸ„“

Col

kevind62

Trust Member
One thing I have found with deer hair - if you want to be able to dye it afterwards, then cure or salt it, but don't tan it. Tanned deer hair tends to separate from the skin when you dye it. I dry it and preserve it with a 50:50 mix of borax and alum. It dyes really nicely. I have some stuff that someone else did, and I'm not sure of their method - maybe just salt? - but when you dye it, the skin swells up to about a quarter inch thick and curls up in a tight roll... but at least the hair doesn't all fall off! šŸ„“

Col
It's likely they cured it in acid. Normal curing for tanning is in an acid solution. The nice thing today is citric acid is used in lieu of sulfuric to achieve pH. If it gets on you when mixing just rinse with cold water. You still have your skin (human skin). ;) If the animal hide has been in an acid solution the pH of the skin is likely around a 1.5 - 2.5. If you put this in freshwater it will swell quite a bit and like curl if you're using small pieces. Next time someone sends you a piece, try soaking it in a salt water solution. Lots of salt. This prevents the hide from soaking it up too fast and swelling.

sage5

Same here with the neck shot. I've got more trophy antlers than wall space now so unless I shoot something considerably larger than what I already have on the walls it's going to be a neck shot. ;)
My fly tying room. :D
View attachment 22938
View attachment 22937
Deer Stalking
Thanks for the above post if you Google Deer Stalking in the Scottish Highlands you should find it worth looking at
Regards Duncan

JayP

Well according to BASC and their self imposed ban on lead shot the supermarket shelves will soon be brimming with game. Not sure if BASC will be about to see it happen judging by their members response.

sewinbasher

The BASC spokesman made a big issue of saying that their position was developed by "elected" BASC officials. There was no consultation with members over this specific and important issue and effectively BASC are saying that the fact that members elected them gives this relatively small body of people power to make all decisions on their behalf. Democratically this might be true but the other aspect of democracy is that people will be able to change their vote....or vote with their feet.

This ban will render many very expensive shotguns effectively useless and that's going to upset quite a few people. BASC seem to be relying on forcing the cartridge making industry to resolve the problem that they have created.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that lead should not be phased out just that the way that it has been done is pretty poor.

JayP

The BASC spokesman made a big issue of saying that their position was developed by "elected" BASC officials. There was no consultation with members over this specific and important issue and effectively BASC are saying that the fact that members elected them gives this relatively small body of people power to make all decisions on their behalf. Democratically this might be true but the other aspect of democracy is that people will be able to change their vote....or vote with their feet.

This ban will render many very expensive shotguns effectively useless and that's going to upset quite a few people. BASC seem to be relying on forcing the cartridge making industry to resolve the problem that they have created.

Just to be clear I'm not saying that lead should not be phased out just that the way that it has been done is pretty poor.
So are you saying I'll pick up a pair of Purdeys for a bargain price? There's always bismuth for the antiques!

The issue I see with shooting/ hunting and organisations such as BASC is it's all knee jerk reactions and poorly thought out to appease the antis, lefties and urbanites.

Why they don't look at something like the Danish hunting program and take that on board with a proper long term plan for the sport I really don't know.

flyfisher222

The guys I go out with are highly skilled...

Roast pheasant, pheasant casserole, pheasant with red cabbage, pheasant in cider, pheasant terrine, pheasant curry, stir-fried pheasant, pheasant risotto, pheasant rissoles, pheasant sandwiches...

By about the 3rd shoot of the winter, it's a case of "Anyone know anyone who wants a pheasant?"

Col
Anyone who fishes should not criticise anyone who hunts, shoots, or similar. And 'tormenting' fish for entertainment, then putting them back and calling it 'C&R' is not morally superior.

Cap'n Fishy

Anyone who fishes should not criticise anyone who hunts, shoots, or similar. And 'tormenting' fish for entertainment, then putting them back and calling it 'C&R' is not morally superior.
Not criticising. Just stating a fact.

You must be running low on people to take a pop at if you are having a go at me for saying this in October 2018!

Last edited:

flyfisher222

Not criticising. Just stating a fact.

You must be running low on people to take a pop at if you are having a go at me for saying this in October 2018!
That old? I never noticed.

Pop? I'm one of your fans, I've even bought a spool of 4lb fluoro to try when I'm nymphing on the local river to see if my early and probably too short trial some years ago was wrong :)

Last edited:

BobP

I agree with the first sentence. Those of us involved in country sports, ie fishing, shooting and hunting, must needs stand together. If we don't we will be defeated one at a time. I am not, and never have been, a follower of hunting as in hunting with packs of dogs, but I will defend those who do so purely on the basis that if the likes of PETA get their way my sport of fly fishing and my winter "sport" of picking up on driven game shoots will soon be front and centre in their warped target list.

I do not agree with the second sentence. C & R is a personal choice which any thinking angler has pursued for generations. After all who wants a bag full of 6" juvenile trout which will be very rare fodder on flyfisher222's stockpond on the Test. He will, of course, seek to dispute this, but if he were to provide accurate catch statistics of the length frequency of all the fish caught on the Test where he his spends his time. I am quire sure that the average trout is at least 40-45 cm in length and 2lb+ in weight. Not too many naturally produced fish in there!

For those in doubt, bear in mind that the fishery concerned supplies a large number of trout to other fisheries on the Test and the Kennet.

flyfisher222

I agree with the first sentence. Those of us involved in country sports, ie fishing, shooting and hunting, must needs stand together. If we don't we will be defeated one at a time. I am not, and never have been, a follower of hunting as in hunting with packs of dogs, but I will defend those who do so purely on the basis that if the likes of PETA get their way my sport of fly fishing and my winter "sport" of picking up on driven game shoots will soon be front and centre in their warped target list.

I do not agree with the second sentence. C & R is a personal choice which any thinking angler has pursued for generations. After all who wants a bag full of 6" juvenile trout which will be very rare fodder on flyfisher222's stockpond on the Test. He will, of course, seek to dispute this, but if he were to provide accurate catch statistics of the length frequency of all the fish caught on the Test where he his spends his time. I am quire sure that the average trout is at least 40-45 cm in length and 2lb+ in weight. Not too many naturally produced fish in there!

For those in doubt, bear in mind that the fishery concerned supplies a large number of trout to other fisheries on the Test and the Kennet.
Bob,
I am glad that you, like myself, as fishermen who kill fish as a 'sport;' do not object to other people who kill a different animal as a 'sport'. (At least in the UK, where rare and possibly endangered animals are not hunted.)
Those fishermen that do object merely show themselves to be hypocrites.

As for C&R, I often do it myself, on the upper Avon, Wylye, and the Test, and have no objection to it whatsoever.
What I do not like is the 'air of moral superiority' that some C&R enthusiasts display, I have seen it on here. I used the word 'entertainment', which of course is what it is, on purpose to 'deflate' such people.

I will ignore your comments about an estate were the four full-time and professionally qualified keepers offer 'guiding services' at no charge and thus where 'external' paid guides such as yourself are rarely used.

Last edited:

BobP

flyfisher222

Your last sentence has me scratching my head. I have no idea what you are on about. There are three posts by myself on this subject apart from this one and nowhere can I see a reference to "four full-time and professionally qualified keepers".

In fact, I don't know anywhere that employs four full time keepers apart from the estate I pick up on in the winter where there are two game keepers and two river keepers. There is little cross-over apart from the river keepers picking up during the winter. The gamekeepers have next to nothing to do with the river.

And just to clear it up finally, I have guided on the river there as one of the two reaches is used by the company I guide for. I have also guided on the other reach when the owner has his family and friends days during the mayfly though not often as the company's corporate days usually take precedence. I operate on a strictly first come, first served basis and as the owner's partner if often a bit tardy in getting the days organised I am almost always pre-booked during the mayfly.

Most likely not this year though! This b*stard virus is going to cost me a lot of money.

flyfisher222

flyfisher222

Your last sentence has me scratching my head. I have no idea what you are on about. There are three posts by myself on this subject apart from this one and nowhere can I see a reference to "four full-time and professionally qualified keepers".

In fact, I don't know anywhere that employs four full time keepers apart from the estate I pick up on in the winter where there are two game keepers and two river keepers. There is little cross-over apart from the river keepers picking up during the winter. The gamekeepers have next to nothing to do with the river.

And just to clear it up finally, I have guided on the river there as one of the two reaches is used by the company I guide for. I have also guided on the other reach when the owner has his family and friends days during the mayfly though not often as the company's corporate days usually take precedence. I operate on a strictly first come, first served basis and as the owner's partner if often a bit tardy in getting the days organised I am almost always pre-booked during the mayfly.

Most likely not this year though! This b*stard virus is going to cost me a lot of money.
Your "the fishery concerned" that you also said is "flyfisher222's stockpond on the Test" is of course a reference to where I mostly fish. As I said, I am not getting into your "stockpond" comment.

It is not the one you refer to above and has four full-time riverkeepers whether you know it or not,
It closed its shoot some years ago.

The more important stuff.
Yes. We all hope we not too affected. I have heard nothing about any potential closure from the estate.

Latest posts