Eating of shot game

glueman

It seems more than slightly off to be writing about a vexatious attempt to judicially review the Government's approach to the release of pheasants and partridges at a time like this, but even a crisis as acute as our current situation cannot assuage the obsession of the animal rights movement.
Chris Packham and his friends in the egotistical vehicle 'Wild Justice' threatened a legal challenge to the Government in February in attempt to get the courts to halt the release of pheasants and partridges on or near 'protected areas' designated under the EU Habitats Directive. Their argument is that game bird release constitutes a 'plan or project' and that the Government must therefore be sure that such releases do not impact on any protected area. They claimed that under the precautionary principle, all releases for the 2020/21 shooting season on or within 5km of a protected area should be prohibited until such assessments had been carried out.

sewinbasher

If you have a pheasant shoot near you the keepers will let you buy the game in the feather for pennies. How you then deal with it is up to you.

sewinbasher is almost right about the class issue. As I stated in my first post these antis don't care about the chickens or pheasants being killed per se; it's HOW they are killed that is the problem.

Personally I think the mindless slaughter of birds hanging upside down from a sort of conveyor with someone slitting their throats at the rate of one a second is pretty disgusting, but is conveniently ignored.

However, it is the so-called toffs blasting birds out of the sky that gets some people wound up, and that includes some on here who should know better. From a position of total ignorance they have proclaimed on the driven game shooting part of country sports.

So, how about one of them contacting me and coming with me at the end of January when the keepers have their day. He or she can use my gun under my supervision and show me just how easy it all is.

Just to give them some food for thought this is what you need to be able to do.

1) Judge how far away that pheasant is. The maximum realistic range for killing one is 40 yards.

2) Assess the wind and the angle of flight. Is the bird flying straight or is it drifting slightly to right or left? Is the wind behind it pushing it along faster?

3) Is it still flapping its wings, ie actively flying or is it gliding? When they glide they go faster as gravity comes into play.

4) How much lead to give it? That is, how far in front of the bird do you shoot in order for the shot to hit the target. Shoot at it and you miss. The further away it is, the faster it is flying the further in front you have to shoot.

5) Bear in mind that the very best driven game shots, people who were virtually born with a gun in hand, will expect a cartridge to kill ratio of 2.5. An average shot will do 4:1. The "toffs blasting them out of the sky" we've heard from on here and elsewhere will be lucky if all they do is shoot themselves in the foot.
I wouldn't recommend that anyone except an expert shot should try to emulate it but try watching Dave Carrie on YouTube. He gets a better kill ratio than 2.5 at ranges of up to 60 yards but he uses big loads of 3 shot in tight chokes. I'm sure there are some around but I've not seen better game shooting. He not only cleans up his neighbour's pricked birds but occasionally the next down the line!!

There's also a clip of George Digweed taking successive clays moving 10 yards back between shots and he gets to about 100 yards.

BobP

It seems more than slightly off to be writing about a vexatious attempt to judicially review the Government's approach to the release of pheasants and partridges at a time like this, but even a crisis as acute as our current situation cannot assuage the obsession of the animal rights movement.
Chris Packham and his friends in the egotistical vehicle 'Wild Justice' threatened a legal challenge to the Government in February in attempt to get the courts to halt the release of pheasants and partridges on or near 'protected areas' designated under the EU Habitats Directive. Their argument is that game bird release constitutes a 'plan or project' and that the Government must therefore be sure that such releases do not impact on any protected area. They claimed that under the precautionary principle, all releases for the 2020/21 shooting season on or within 5km of a protected area should be prohibited until such assessments had been carried out.

Got kicked out if what I read in the Countryside Alliance newsletter is correct.

BobP

I paid a visit to my local game dealer this morning as my daughter wanted some ducks and I wanted a couple for myself plus some pheasants. Seems odd as I go picking up and have access to hundreds of both, freshly shot and in the feather, but to be honest I'm way too old to be fussed about plucking the things and then shoving my hand up a cold ar*e to pull its guts out. So, pheasants oven ready and neatly packaged at £2.50 and ditto for ducks at £3.50 is a good deal.

What interested me though, on arrival at the game farm was the presence of a large refrigerated lorry with Dutch registration plates on it getting ready to take a load of pheasants, venison, partridges and ducks off to Holland. Sort of makes a mockery of those who allege that shot game is just dumped in a hole and buried. Two of the dealer's vans drove in while I was there having just picked up game from some shoot's chiller.

glueman

I paid a visit to my local game dealer this morning as my daughter wanted some ducks and I wanted a couple for myself plus some pheasants. Seems odd as I go picking up and have access to hundreds of both, freshly shot and in the feather, but to be honest I'm way too old to be fussed about plucking the things and then shoving my hand up a cold ar*e to pull its guts out. So, pheasants oven ready and neatly packaged at £2.50 and ditto for ducks at £3.50 is a good deal.

What interested me though, on arrival at the game farm was the presence of a large refrigerated lorry with Dutch registration plates on it getting ready to take a load of pheasants, venison, partridges and ducks off to Holland. Sort of makes a mockery of those who allege that shot game is just dumped in a hole and buried. Two of the dealer's vans drove in while I was there having just picked up game from some shoot's chiller.
Bob P the dumping in a hole is just propaganda from the anti field sports lot

loxie

I have met loads of people who claim to know someone who has seen "dumping" of game but I've never met anyone who claims to have seen it themselves. It's just bollix put about by antis. The fact that their case is so largely based on lies, with a bit of bigotry mixed in, it shows how weak it really is.

BobP

Bob P the dumping in a hole is just propaganda from the anti field sports lot
Of course it is, glueman, but quite a few on here believe it.

When you start doing the sums it is obvious that it is a physical impossibility. For example, when I started picking up nearly 40 years ago the average cock pheasant weighed a bit over 4lbs. It was not uncommon for me or my colleagues to come out of a wood carrying 20 or more pheasants on a game carrier plus another 4 or 5 in the hand. This on a major driven shoot. It was heavy, but manageable.

Last year I got overwhelmed on one particular drive on a shoot I go to. In fact we were having a laugh about it only yesterday. I filled one carrier to overflowing and was struggling with 10 pheasants in both hands and the dogs were carrying one each in their mouths. I could barely put one foot in front of the other. I called for help and the guys had to chop a hole in the fence of the pen I was in so I could pass the birds over and relieve the dogs of their burden as well. Needless to say as soon as they had got rid of the ones they were carrying they were off in search of more.

This particular shoot, for some reason, has a very high predominance of cock pheasants. It is a bit of a joke with us in the picking up team. The modern cock pheasant now weighs around 6lbs, while the hen racks up 4lb+. So even if we even it out at 50/50 an average 250 bird day is going to weigh 2250lbs. It takes a good sized hole to bury 2250lbs of dead pheasants and if that shoot does even 25 days in a season which is not a lot that means there is 56,250lbs of dead pheasant to bury. It is just not possible to dig a hole THAT big without it being noticed.

Anyway, why bother when there is a ready market on the other side of the Channel or North Sea? It is obvious, that with 4 years of advance notice, that game dealer got their bums in gear, made their plans and now happily supply EU with the game that they obviously want.

ejw

Unfortunately when I was Chairman of a Wildfowling club, a prospective member was refused entry due to an incident ?? He was a Guide who took out pigeon shooters, they shot over 100 birds in 4 hours, then dumped them in a ditch ! When questioned he admitted it (as we also had the Newspaper article describing the landowners reaction) but said he had run out of a market for them. This was why he wanted to move into Wildfowling !!!!
This incident and the increase in people who just wanted to "Kill things" made me re think my "Hobbies". I retire as Chairman, left the committee and eventually retired from Wildfowling and Game shooting. Too many shooting people are now not respecting their quarry. Locally I still find dead Canada Geese pushed into bushes or ditches - shot but not used !
Rant over

haggstock

Nice one Bob , a brace of oven ready , properly free range birds , fed on quality feed , and having seen a minimum of 30 weeks wild ( even up to two years ) for a fiver . Puts the oven ready broiler chickens in the supermarkets( that have had 5 or 6 weeks of life before their crowded truck ride to a mechanised end ) truly in the shade .
personally, I breast pheasants rather than pluck , the rest goes to the badgers , foxes and buzzards .

bobmiddlepoint

Unfortunately when I was Chairman of a Wildfowling club, a prospective member was refused entry due to an incident ?? He was a Guide who took out pigeon shooters, they shot over 100 birds in 4 hours, then dumped them in a ditch ! When questioned he admitted it (as we also had the Newspaper article describing the landowners reaction) but said he had run out of a market for them. This was why he wanted to move into Wildfowling !!!!
This incident and the increase in people who just wanted to "Kill things" made me re think my "Hobbies". I retire as Chairman, left the committee and eventually retired from Wildfowling and Game shooting. Too many shooting people are now not respecting their quarry. Locally I still find dead Canada Geese pushed into bushes or ditches - shot but not used !
Rant over

Unfortunately there is a head in the sand mentality over issues such as this with some within the hunting, shooting and fishing community. It does us no good to pretend we are all as pure as the driven snow.

Andy

Latest posts