Eden

scottratt

Has anyone seen any decent rises yet on the Eden. Plenty of March browns about but nothing looking at them

Teacuis

I've had a couple of walks along since the season opened but haven't seen anything moving yet though last week there was snow on the fell tops and the water was high and coloured.
Paul.

Mrtrout

Same last April Scott, best hatch of MBs I’ve seen for years but nothing interested in them?
Just had a lovely walk down Pokey Dub on the Eamont, no flies spotted but one small fish rose to a dung Fly I think.
Best turn out of wild primroses I’ve ever seen in the wood.
S.

jada0406

I've had a couple of walks along since the season opened but haven't seen anything moving yet though last week there was snow on the fell tops and the water was high and coloured.
Paul.
Hi', Paul.
I have been out observing the Eden system a couple of times each week since March 15th, not fishing yet. To date, I have seen no upwinged flies on the Eden, none on the Eamont until today. At 1.30pm I saw a single Marc brown at Whinfell Park; then three large dark olives in one bunch at 1.45; then a second March brown shortly after 2.00pm. Stayed on the bank, walking up and down, but saw no more flies, then left about 3.15 pm. I had to check the protruding stones in riffles for egg patches to prove that there had been hatches of duns on some days, but there couldn't have been more than a few flies about at most, as the egg patches were very few and far between. have found the same results on the Eden at Eden Bridge, Temple Sowerby. Apart from the few flies noted today, the only evidence of a hatch that I have seen has been eggs.
I have seen only one angler on the bank, a member of YFFC on the Eamont last week. He had caught one trout -- between 10.30 and 3.00pm, when I spoke to him, and had seen a poor hatch shortly after midday. The best egg patch display I've seen to date was a count of just 26 on one stone; and that was on Lightwater Beck; which is a tiny tributary that joins the Eamont on PAA Whinfell Park water. ''Houston''. I think we have a problem.''
Frankly, I am now pretty concerned. I have fished the system for 60 years, and have never seen so poor a start to the season. Only one other angler seen in 3 weeks and 3 days. In the 1960s through the 1970s and 80s, my old fishing buddy and I fished dry fly only on every fishable trout season opening day that we were able to share together, and failed only three times to catch at least a brace each. Best opening (March 20th in those days) day, Ken Thompson had 11 fish to my 8 from the River Petteril at Carlisle.

We didn't always see a good hatch, but fished the known hot spots, and brought trout up to the dry fly. We couldn't do that now, that's how much the fishing has deteriorated over the years. jadaTC

PS Just remembered, I have fished Loch Teacuis, while on holiday with Ken and another mate, Bill Turner, up in northwest Scotland, in the 1980s.

Last edited:

diawl bach

Good to hear you're still keeping an eye on the local waters Terry, not so good to hear that the decline in fly life which seems to be affecting the whole country is so evident in your neck of the woods.

Teacuis

Hi Jada,
Thanks for the reply its much appreciated.
Yes Loch Teacius is off Loch Sunart, a very beautiful and unspoilt area that I have fished many times over the years whilst staying at Laga Lodge. (I dabble on the dark side and sea fish too although now mainly from my own boat which is moored in Whitehaven marina)
Hopeful this warmer weather will help things along a little on the Eden. I'm going to fish the lower Appleby beats on Friday so see what happens!
I'm on a steep learning curve with the Eden but don't mind putting the hours in.
I was a member of Pickering club along with Masham and I learnt a lot of my trade on the wildies in the becks around Pickering so I'm looking forward to pitting my wits against the Eden fish.
Paul.

Cam

I have fished the PAA waters on a guest ticket over the years but we have now bought a place near Appleby so will be joining AAC in the near future. I have fished the shared stretch at Bolton Willows in the past but any local knowledge would be greatfully received.

Cam

Mrtrout

I have fished the PAA waters on a guest ticket over the years but we have now bought a place near Appleby so will be joining AAC in the near future. I have fished the shared stretch at Bolton Willows in the past but any local knowledge would be greatfully received.

Cam
That’s great news Cam, Appleby AA welcomes you. :thumbs:
You’ll be able to fish the PAA waters on the swap tickets for free, also KSDAA, Brampton, Carlisle, Keswick and WADAA.
Some good fishing in that lot for £50 a year.
Any problems drop me a PM.
Steven.

kinross14

Thanks for the update. Was planning a trip this weekend, but may wait another week or so. Last year i didn’t start until early may and had some nice dry fly action. Just wonder if the ultra low water last summer has had a profound influence on the fly life.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the update. Was planning a trip this weekend, but may wait another week or so. Last year i didn’t start until early may and had some nice dry fly action. Just wonder if the ultra low water last summer has had a profound influence on the fly life.

kinross14

Fished the Eden yesterday and there was a massive hatch of caddis. Lunchtime there was a small rise and i rose plenty of fish but couldn’t hook them. Finally hooked a beauty that would have been well over 2lb and after playing for a few mins, the hook pulled out just as i was landing it. Close but no coconut!

Latest posts