Eglwys Nunydd Reservoir, Neath & Port Talbot

TroutAtlas

Eglwys Nunydd Reservoir. Margam (West Glamorgan). Corus (Port Talbot) reservoir; excellent trout fishing, brown, blue and rainbow; open all year; good stocking levels; good benefits for members; 3 boats for members; fishing lodge for anglers; dt (3 fish with c&r (then barbless hooks must be used and no buoyant flies on sunken lines); apply Corus Sports Club, Corus plc, Groes, Margam, Port Talbot (tel: 01639 871111 extn 3368); during day Stephen Gale (Hon Sec) (mob: 077914 29672).

Full Satellite Image and Map (Google)

Schrodinger's cat

Arfon - one of the new constituencies 'gerrymander
Eglwys Nunydd is a large reservoir in Margam, South Wales.

Constructed to provide water for the large steelworks at Margam and specifically for cooling water for the cold rolling mills at the eastern end of the works. Much of the water for the hot end of the plant is abstracted from the Rivers Afan and the Ffrwdwyllyt as they flow through the dock feeder.

The lake supports a managed trout and coarse fishing fishery and is also used for dinghy sailing.

Invasive (INNS) 'Killer shrimp' Dikerogammarus villosus were found in the lake water, and, I'm told, in beached dinghy bilges at the sailing club, in the autumn of 2010. I'm unsure what quarantine or biosecurity measures are currently employed.

Corus Sailing Club, Port Talbot, South East Wales, SA13 2NS, Dinghy Sailing, Sailing

The club is situated three miles south of Port Talbot, South Wales and was formerly known as the British Steel Sailing Club. The reservoir is over one mile long by approximately half a mile wide, where racing takes place every Sunday throughout the whole year (for those brave enough!) and also on Saturdays, Tuesday evenings and Wednesday evenings through the Summer months. Please note that you DO NOT need to be employed by Corus to become a member!

barney the dog

Eglwys Nunydd Reservoir Fly fishing
Trout fishery – report for May 2013

It’s no secret that May always brings some spectacular fishing at Eglwys Nunydd. The trout are feeding well and are turning to the surface for their food as insect activity increases. Dry fly fishing is particularly effective as the fish show a preference for smaller flies such as buzzers and hoppers fished on a floating line. On the right day, the results can be spectacular with grown-on rainbows. In recent weeks catch returns have increased with some anglers catching 8-10 superbly conditioned fish. Bryan Dembiniok of Pontypridd caught the fish in the above picture on Red Tag and Montana flies – the best fish weighing 3.5lbs. The first hawthorn flies are on the water and this always means there will be some superb fishing.

The reservoir is at full level and the water is clear. Catch and release is allowed if undertaken with care. There are miles of bank fishing for all abilities, and secure access and car parking. Boat fishing is also available for season ticket holders and their guests.

Eglwys Nunydd provides the sporting challenges of a big reservoir, great fish and a friendly welcome - and all at a great price. The reservoir is located next to M4 Junction 38 (Margam).

Season tickets (all year from 1 March) are £200 plus £15.60 membership of Tata Sports and Social Club. Get your season tickets from the office at the gate to the Sports and Social Club (weekdays, approx. 10-2pm).

Day Tickets are also available! - Tel. Steve Gale on 07791 429672 or e-mail fishingale@talktalk.net

See tatagameangling.co.uk website for information, rules and the latest news.

barney the dog

As a relatively new member I have found it friendly. But more important good top of the water sport. Pulled a booby over the surface the other night and had a chase nearly every other cast! Missed most of them but that is the norm. Don't let a minority put you off, 95% would give you a warm welcome, the other 5% exist everywhere, worst luck!

T.K

As a relatively new member I have found it friendly. But more important good top of the water sport. Pulled a booby over the surface the other night and had a chase nearly every other cast! Missed most of them but that is the norm. Don't let a minority put you off, 95% would give you a warm welcome, the other 5% exist everywhere, worst luck!

Got to agree with Barney here, i have been a member here for approx 10 years and am sad to hear that you had a bad time there Taff... It is usually a friendly enough place to go, and sometimes the fish can try the patience of a saint..:thumbs:

barney the dog

Eglwys Nunydd has just been stocked with 2,000 trout, even with the weather we are having it is starting to fish. The entrance and short wall being top spots. Day tickets are back on sale, see website for details:thumbs:

fishingale

The lake is Flyfishing for trout only there is no coarse fishing.
We will be stocking this year from January 2015, new members will be allowed to fish from January giving you an extra 2 months fishing.
Check out the web site at tatagameangling.com.
Giving you a list of all the benefits.

Stephen Gale.

gourlaya

Glad to see its back open and operating again, after the shrimp and lice infection years ago. I cut my teeth as a teenager fishing the old concrete bowl , and it taught me everything about distance casting to the edge of the ripple, where the fish would patrol.

oldhooker

I have been a member for years and hopefully for years to come. Eglwys offers top class sport and exceptional value for money. It's a bit more challenging than the spring fed holes in the ground around here where you can't fail to catch flabby daily stocked finless trout. This is why there are negative and unfair comments about Eglwys, because people go to fisheries where the trout virtually give themselves up and then expect the same from a bigger water with grown on fish. If you find yourself not catching when others are the regulars are happy to help generally. I visit Blagdon occasionally and can honestly say the sport is better at Eglwys. So use your head, stop wasting money at ponds where you can cast to the opposite bank, learn the entomology, buy a fly tying kit and get a season at Eglwys

barney the dog

Jim - there is no sign of closure for the lake, the lake is totally independent from the works other than the fact we are privileged to have the use of their water. This year is the 50th anniversary of fly fishing on Eglwys Nunydd and we continue to invest in the infrastructure of the club and are planning for another 50 years

oldhooker

Who said the steelworks is closing? Workforce is being cut back but as yet no mention of closure. Will be renewing my season next week.Excellent sport, excellent value. Any fly fishing father's out there take note your child can fish for free on your season I think up to 18 years old, what an excellent way to introduce your child to fly fishing I did this with my own son and he absolutely loves it now Over the years he got a lot of pleasure out of the varied wildlife there. Also you can take a guest up to 5 times a season.you have to share the bag of course.

It's fishing really well at the moment

Last edited:

fishingale

our web site address has changed we are now to be found at
eglwysflyfishing.net.
Tight lines.

oldhooker

:confused::confused:bad experiences here wont go back
tt:):)
Years later i know but i had a recent unfortunate encounter with the author of this derogatory and potentially damaging post. I spotted a fly tying bundle on ebay, made the seller an offer, he countered and i accepted his offer and paid immediately. The next morning i was surprised to receive a message from him asking for payment. Of course i checked my paypal and ebay accounts which proved that i had paid. So i messaged the seller and informed and told him i would leave it to him as i could do no more. What he was angling for was for me to cancel and forego my right to leave feedback. He had made a mess of his ad and included 1000 hooks in the description as well as the items in the photos. Over the next day he bombarded me with messages and phonecalls which contained ever more ridiculous lies. He then relisted the item even though i had paid for it. Eventually my intelligence insulted by his moronic lies i blocked him, left suitable feedback on ebay, reported him to ebay for trying to get me to pay for it via paypal friends and family, as if, and cancelling on paypal.
During one of our tedious phonecalls he admitted to me that he was the author of this and one other derogatory post about Eglwys. When i thought about it the other post claimed there was only one eglwys member present but he later went on to describe our members, plural, as decrepid and incapable fly fishermen. So a glaring inconsistency there.
So years later unfortunately our paths crossed and the author was revealed to be a fraudulent, scamming bare faced liar. Paradoxically his clients turn out to be something like he claimed our members were. This is apparent from the gallery on his website where goons peer out from the photos cradling ugly, fat, barely wet Frankenstein trout caught exclusively from tiny ponds by feckless idiots posing as fly fishermen.
Thats the trouble with social media, it empowers unintelligent people by giving them a voice when they really shouldnt be allowed to voice their spiteful bile.
Eglwys is the premier large water in Wales. If it ever closes i will give up. Its problems are well known but from dec to the following august i will fish there over 100 times for 200 quid. No brainer.
By the way, to the original poster, we are considering fly tying lessons for beginners at our lodge over the winter. You are welcome to attend, by the look of the flys on your website you need some tuition badly. Mind they will probably still catch on the tiny ponds that you frequent. Any crappy fly will suffice at those places. That's probably why you couldnt catch at Eglwys. Not enough skill in the fly tying dept not to mention fishing skill. I was going to make you an offer on your fly tying kit but i have more than enough fritz and foam to last a lifetime.

Last edited:

oldhooker

Years later i know but i had a recent unfortunate encounter with the author of this derogatory and potentially damaging post. I spotted a fly tying bundle on ebay, made the seller an offer, he countered and i accepted his offer and paid immediately. The next morning i was surprised to receive a message from him asking for payment. Of course i checked my paypal and ebay accounts which proved that i had paid. So i messaged the seller and informed and told him i would leave it to him as i could do no more. What he was angling for was for me to cancel and forego my right to leave feedback. He had made a mess of his ad and included 1000 hooks in the description as well as the items in the photos. Over the next day he bombarded me with messages and phonecalls which contained ever more ridiculous lies. He then relisted the item even though i had paid for it. Eventually my intelligence insulted by his moronic lies i blocked him, left suitable feedback on ebay, reported him to ebay for trying to get me to pay for it via paypal friends and family, as if, and cancelling on paypal.
During one of our tedious phonecalls he admitted to me that he was the author of this and one other derogatory post about Eglwys. When i thought about it the other post claimed there was only one eglwys member present but he later went on to describe our members, plural, as decrepid and incapable fly fishermen. So a glaring inconsistency there.
So years later unfortunately our paths crossed and the author was revealed to be a fraudulent, scamming bare faced liar. Paradoxically his clients turn out to be something like he claimed our members were. This is apparent from the gallery on his website where goons peer out from the photos cradling ugly, fat, barely wet Frankenstein trout caught exclusively from tiny ponds by feckless idiots posing as fly fishermen.
Thats the trouble with social media, it empowers unintelligent people by giving them a voice when they really shouldnt be allowed to voice their spiteful bile.
Eglwys is the premier large water in Wales. If it ever closes i will give up. Its problems are well known but from dec to the following august i will fish there over 100 times for 200 quid. No brainer.
By the way, to the original poster, we are considering fly tying lessons for beginners at our lodge over the winter. You are welcome to attend, by the look of the flys on your website you need some tuition badly. Mind they will probably still catch on the tiny ponds that you frequent. Any crappy fly will suffice at those places. That's probably why you couldnt catch at Eglwys. Not enough skill in the fly tying dept not to mention fishing skill. I was going to make you an offer on your fly tying kit but i have more than enough fritz and foam to last a lifetime.

sewinbasher

I remember several decades ago that there were features in the angling press about the big early season browns from Eglwys, if I remember correctly, feeding on leeches.

I do think that both Llandegfedd and Brenig (and possibly also Clywedog) might challenge the assertion that Eglwys is the "premier large water in Wales"