Elastic band dry fly trick

rabmax

Hello all.Usually have an elastic band hanging from my vest.They perish fast though & need constant replacement.Does anyone use anything similar that lasts & doesn't perish.Cheers

Mrtrout

Hello all.Usually have an elastic band hanging from my vest.They perish fast though & need constant replacement.Does anyone use anything similar that lasts & doesn't perish.Cheers
Im the same, someone once gave me a silicone based elastic band, it did last a fair bit longer, but I can’t find any?
Its a great way to dry a CDC pattern.
S.

rabmax

I have some stretch magic.Well think that's what it's called.It's not as stretchy as elastic bands.Kind of works though.Just wondering if anyone else had found something better.

skinner

I’ve got something I use and will post a link tomorrow evening as it’s time for sleep for me .. the elastic band is an Italian style bye the way!

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
It's a wonder that the tackle companies haven't latched on to this yet.

Perhaps Simms could dye some elastic bands and sell them as 'super fly driers'

Only £4.99 each!

Douglas
Already been done, at about £1 each!

These could be same style as the one you had Stephen.

regards
Bert

LDO

I'm a great devotee of twanging, and I always carry a bunch of elastic bands. I replace them a lot less often than I do my tippet! For me cdc is just the most fly like material and the natural stuff is fairly hardy and easily twanged dry. I have worked on making the body of my dry flies as water resistant as possible as I feel that this is the where the the waterlogging begins.

webblade

Have never used the band trick but just thought I'd throw out a suggestion. Has anyone ever tried a lady's hair bobbin to see how they last? They're usually coated with material.

speytime

I've got a silicone band it keeps the lid on my deet, the one I have isn't very stretchy certainly not like elastic, for good sturdy elastic I use the bands you would get at a swimming pool cut length ways with a ruler and Stanley knife, just cut the width required.

Al

unclealec

You know the elastic band trick
I do now!
And very timely too. I am a recent convert to CDC and have been using them on emergers on a catch-one-fish-then-change-the-soggy-fly basis. I presume this twangy thing won't deal with a slime-ridden successful fly; I will still have to change flies and have a washing session on returning home?
As I approach my70th birthday (in two weeks if you all want to start saving up) and having fished from the age of 5, I still say that every day is a school day.
I wonder how many other great dodges I have managed to avoid over the last 65 years.

sculpin_crusader

A slime covered fly only needs washing well in the water before then re-primping as you would to get it working again. No need to change the fly.

JCP

Hair bands used for pony tails by lasses/lads and Steven Seagal work well as a twang station.Have also used the Tippet Spool tidy bands used by Rio.

JP

unclealec

A slime covered fly only needs washing well in the water before then re-primping as you would to get it working again. No need to change the fly.
Thanks for that.
My club water is a stone-lined reservoir with 60 degree sloping banks. If I find someone to hang on to my ankles I'll give it a go.