Elastic band dry fly trick

rabmax

Never thought about tippet spool tidy bands.I have some of them.Not Rio ones but might work just as good.
Hair bands used for pony tails by lasses/lads and Steven Seagal work well as a twang station.Have also used the Tippet Spool tidy bands used by Rio.

JP

rabmax

There's no getting away with it cdc wings on flies work great.But if you are fishing a river with lots of fish.The days where you catch one fish after another.I find you come to a point where it just gets harder & harder to get your cdc fly going again.I mostly fish flies with a combination of polypropylene for the wing.And either hackle clipped on the underside of the thorax.Or i add a little cdc at the thorax for movement.For the most part they catch just as well.But way less maintenance when catching fish after fish.Something like this works for me.And the days it doesn't work i will fish subsurface.I do carry a few cdc wing flies in my box for special occasions.20200704_095033.jpg
I do now!
And very timely too. I am a recent convert to CDC and have been using them on emergers on a catch-one-fish-then-change-the-soggy-fly basis. I presume this twangy thing won't deal with a slime-ridden successful fly; I will still have to change flies and have a washing session on returning home?
As I approach my70th birthday (in two weeks if you all want to start saving up) and having fished from the age of 5, I still say that every day is a school day.
I wonder how many other great dodges I have managed to avoid over the last 65 years.

Vermontdrifter

The twangy hack also works with ordinary hackle and deer wings as well as hare’s ear hackles. Shakes the water off and also restores the shape.

danielp

I have a piece of flexi-floss tied to my chest pack in a loop. Works as well as the elastic band and hasn't perished yet. Most fly tiers must have some knocking about?

catzrob

Does this not knacker your tippet and make it all crinkly/curly?

rabmax

I will give the spool tender a try first.I gave it a try & it seems a good twanger.Should work for twanging my yarn indicators too.Cheers all
20200806_182426.jpg
I

Mrtrout

Anybody know where to buy this life flex stuff he’s on about in the video?
i can’t see any in U.K. just USA with silly postage prices.
S.

rabmax

You can buy life flex from Lathkill.The tippet spool tenders are working good for me.
Anybody know where to buy this life flex stuff he’s on about in the video?
i can’t see any in U.K. just USA with silly postage prices.
S.

taffy1

The one pinned onto my fly vest came off a bunch of brocolli from Tesco, no, not from the freezer aisle... ;) Oh & it's going into it's 2nd season....the blue ones. :cool: