Electric boat motor

snoop

Can anybody tell me what pounds of thrust do you use for Stillwater fishing?
I have a friend who has a 54lb one,but I was wondering if I could go a bit less(to keep the cost down) cheers👍

easker1

It depends on the size of boat as well ,I use a 44lb motor on a 14ft boat and it does the job for me,bigger boats need bigger motors, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

I've used a 40 lb one for many years. The thing about the bigger ones is that they drain the battery quicker. If you have a bit of carting to do and your back isn't getting any younger, you can quite often get a day out of a small 70 AH battery, rather than the big 110 AH.

Also depends on the size of the waters you are fishing. I fish waters up to the size of Gladhouse at 440 acres with the 40 lb motor and it copes OK. Also take it out with me on Menteith, which is 650 acres and the boats come with a petrol engine, but I'll quite often use the petrol to go out in the morning and come back at half 5, and I've spent the rest of the day on the leccy.

Col

decdon

I use a 54lb on a 19' Burke boat and every bit of it is needed especially on a windy day with a mate and gear onboard. Better get as big as ya can!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

splinters

Buy The biggest trust you can afford - it will be worth it.
The smaller ones take an age to motor you back up wind.

This is the best advice there is.
You're better looking at it than looking for it.
My 55lb Bison and 110ah battery work just as well on the Straid, (17 acres) as on the Erne, (37,000 acres).

Simon

scobo

40lb thrust and 80ah battery here although mostly on smaller waters.
I use it at Menteith for short moves or drift adjustment.

snoop

Thanks for all the info,I mostly fish smaller Stillwaters nothing like Mentieth etc, but it looks like a 54lb seems the safer option though! Thanks again. 👍

easker1

you will definitely need a 110A/H battery ,I fish smaller still lochs and I carry a 80A/H battery it gives me about 4 hrs with my 44lb motor, and I have never been stuck, also I can carry my 80A/H battery easily from the car but a 110 battery weighs over 40lb,good luck , easker1

Cap'n Fishy

One thing about 110 AH batteries - they are not all the same. You get cheap ones with names like Numax and UK Giant, and they are nowhere near as heavy as a Halfords or a Bosch one. The thing is, any time I bought a Numax or a UK giant, I got about 1.5 seasons out of it. Then I bought a Halfords one, and it is still going strong after 5 seasons. You wouldn't want to drop it on your foot though. It seems that the more lead it has in it, the longer it lasts.

Dunno if the price of Lithium batteries is going to come down. About £600 at present, but helluvalot lighter than lead acid.

Col

scobo

you will definitely need a 110A/H battery ,I fish smaller still lochs and I carry a 80A/H battery it gives me about 4 hrs with my 44lb motor, and I have never been stuck, also I can carry my 80A/H battery easily from the car but a 110 battery weighs over 40lb,good luck , easker1

Good points there. The bigger size the motor is, the larger capacity battery you'll need and they get 'kin heavy !!
Been using an 80ah Exrider+ for 5 years with no problems, £50 on ebay.

scobo

Dunno if the price of Lithium batteries is going to come down. About £600 at present, but helluvalot lighter than lead acid.

Col

I've been looking at this option as I think my lead acid battery is starting to go.
One thing I discovered is you don't need the same capacity as you do with lead acid. A 50ah lithium battery is equvalent to a 90ah lead acid, apparently.
They also last a lot longer, up to 5000 cycles compared to about 200.
These come with a 10 year warranty .... 50ah lithium deep cycle battery , solar, ups, mobility, leisure - Alpha Batteries
About a quarter of the weight of lead acid too !

Cap'n Fishy

A 50ah lithium battery is equvalent to a 90ah lead acid, apparently.

Cheers for the info, Scott. I'll look into the AH thing. I'm not sure how that works, as an AH is an AH, after all. ("Ye cannae change the laws o' physics, captain." :D). Maybe to do with how many of its stored AHs it can actually deliver? :confused:

When I take a walk up the Water of Leith of an afternoon, I sometimes get passed by a lassie in an electric wheelchair and her dog. The dog has to run to keep up with her. The wheelchair must have some impressive battery to keep up the speed it does. I would ask her what it is, but I'd need to catch her first. :p

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I'm not sure how that works...

Aye - probably this bit...

"A Lithium-Ion battery is capable of discharging close to all of its power without sacrificing efficiency, whereas the classic lead acid battery can typically only withstand around 50% DoD before performance begins to flounder."

I think I'd be looking for something just a little bigger capacity, just to be on the safe side for a whole day on waters the size of Gladhouse or Eye, etc.

Col

scobo

The next size up from that one is 75ah or the lead acid equivalent of 130ah.
But they're wanting .............. £699.99 :eek::eek::eek:
That's a helluva price jump !!

Cap'n Fishy

That's a helluva price jump !!

He-he - I saw that and thought exactly the same thing!

This one is relatively cheaper, but I have no idea if it is any good...

LITHIUM LiFePO4 12V 100AH DeepCycle Battery Car Audio System CCTV Back Up | eBay

Col

---------- Post added at 11:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 AM ----------

The longest track we need to get a battery down is the one on Loch Bhac. For that and similar, I have this...

Col

BlueFrog

When I take a walk up the Water of Leith of an afternoon, I sometimes get passed by a lassie in an electric wheelchair and her dog. The dog has to run to keep up with her. The wheelchair must have some impressive battery to keep up the speed it does.

The mother in law has a leccy wheelchair, she can get 38 mile on one charge at a speed of 8mph, must be decent batteries (sure there's two) cause the wheelchair weights quite a bit, then you have the person riding it.

Would two 6v wired together the same as what the old landrovers had not be an option.?