Electric outboards on petrol boats

nwade77

This might be a stupid question but can you put an electric outboard on a petrol boat? I’m asking because I’m going to start pike fly fishing as soon as we can and it would be so handy manoeuvring around weedbeds etc instead of starting up a loud petrol engine. I’m sure I’ve seen articles and YouTube videos where people have. I will be fishing Eyebrook mostly

gmm243

A lot of people fishing the loughs of Ireland will have an electric engine as well as the petrol engine. I have one but prefer to use my oars when shifting on the drift.The exception is fishing the spent gnat where you sometimes have to go after a feeding fish,the engine is faster than using the oars.
Generally the boats are 17 or 19' long so need a bit of a push.I use a 55lb trust Minn Kota but if I am honest I find the extra engine,leads and battery more clutter in the boat so use the oars 90% of the time.

goldenolive

Yes, I have on my my lough boat for chasing rising fish silently without using oars,
it definitely gets me extra fish each year.
I can also hold the boat over a pod of fish when its windy without using an anchor.
my mates have theirs on the bow of the boat, the logic being its easier to pull the boat than to push it, save battery, as my mate says, you never see a donkey pushing a cart :)