Epic 3wt - 370 FastGlass® Fly Rod Building Kit

Green29

Has anyone tried one of these kits on sale at £208 so tempted. I have never tried to build a rod before is this a good place to start. A bit nervous about cocking it up.

glosterboy

I've built a Epic 476 and love it. I didn't by the kit just the blank so cant comment on that but If it all comes from Epic I'm sure it'll be top quality. I don't think you can go wrong at that price.
The perceived wisdom is to buy a cheap blank and have a go at that first but its really not that difficult.
My first build was on a Harrison blank whilst its not perfect I'm very happy with it.
There's loads of good advice on here and elsewhere on the net. If you're still nervous about having a go watch a few youtube videos and then decide.

JayP

Has anyone tried one of these kits on sale at £208 so tempted. I have never tried to build a rod before is this a good place to start. A bit nervous about cocking it up.

If this is being shipped from outside the EU bear in mind there's a good chance you'll get hit for import duty/ VAT/ handling fee which will add about £60 to the landed price.

There are loads of YouTube vids that will get you going and the hardest part will be mixing, applying and keeping the resin dust-free as it cures.

Rob Edmunds

My good friend is actually in the process of building 2 of the exact rods ( one for me, the other for himself)....and he has a couple of other Epic Rods and Blue Halo's being a "Glass Geek".

We have both held the "naked" blank and given it a waggle, and I know you can't really tell much without eyes, handle or a line on it, but it seems very nice....fittings are very good .....we think the kit is good value, and good quality.

petevicar

Epic make good stuff.
The kits are supposed to be really good with everything you need and full instructions.
It's the perfect way to get into rod building however you should be careful you may become addicted.

Green29

If this is being shipped from outside the EU bear in mind there's a good chance you'll get hit for import duty/ VAT/ handling fee which will add about £60 to the landed price.

There are loads of YouTube vids that will get you going and the hardest part will be mixing, applying and keeping the resin dust-free as it cures.
I have been trying to find Tax information. what a pain. Keeping it dust-free could be interesting.

Green29

My good friend is actually in the process of building 2 of the exact rods ( one for me, the other for himself)....and he has a couple of other Epic Rods and Blue Halo's being a "Glass Geek".

We have both held the "naked" blank and given it a waggle, and I know you can't really tell much without eyes, handle or a line on it, but it seems very nice....fittings are very good .....we think the kit is good value, and good quality.
Do you know how much the tax added to your purchase? Is £60 about right?

JayP

I have been trying to find Tax information. what a pain. Keeping it dust-free could be interesting.
This is what I use for calculating import fees and it's pretty spot on, you'll need to add an £8 handling fee too to the final amount

Green29

This is what I use for calculating import fees and it's pretty spot on, you'll need to add an £8 handling fee too to the final amount

I thought I had found a great bargain. The Tax is killer, I don't think I'll be able to fly that one by the Wife.

glosterboy

if we're talking import duties watch out which courier is used. If they have an agreement in this country with the post office then the handling fee is about a £10. If not you can be looking at whatever the courier wants to charge £30 to £40 isn't unusual.
USPS (USA) have the agreement with the post office, if its another courier buyer beware.

dougieb

I saw the 370 kit that other day and was tempted. There is a code that will give you a further 10% off which just about covers the postage. Like you, the import duty put me off. Still, if you get he full kit and it costs you £270 then it's still a bit of a bargain. I do wish they were available directly in the UK. I can thoroughly recommend the CTS quartz blanks, CTS made the first gen Epics before they moved production.

matt808

Not sure what the kits are like but the 370 epic is a nice rod, I've tried the 580 too but thought it was too stiff. Wondered whether the 476 action falls between them?

Green29

I saw the 370 kit that other day and was tempted. There is a code that will give you a further 10% off which just about covers the postage. Like you, the import duty put me off. Still, if you get he full kit and it costs you £270 then it's still a bit of a bargain. I do wish they were available directly in the UK. I can thoroughly recommend the CTS quartz blanks, CTS made the first gen Epics before they moved production.
looking like just over £300. Delivery £46 tax and Duty £60 +

lakesman

looking like just over £300. Delivery £46 tax and Duty £60 +
Not an Epic but highly renowned, Taniwha Rodworks have both their olive and grey S-fibreglass rods on sale for next few days, at a price that doesn’t cover the cost of the components. Part customised insofar as you choose reel seat and agate stripper. Stocks running low.
Personally, even having made several rods, the thought of making a rod based on an expensive blank and it ends in the “it’s ok, but not quite as good as it might be” category, makes the purchase of the Taniwha, as opposed to construction, a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Latest posts