Fly Fishing Forum banner

Esp tungsten loaded hook length

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  rabmax 
#1 ·
Hello all. Have watched a couple of YouTube videos on this stuff & similar stuff.It's got my interest as for using a short section looped onto the bottom of my drop shot nymphing rig.I have no problem adding split shot to my drop shot rig.The only slight pain i have is adding no8 split shot or no8 stotz. The no8 are a bit small & fiddly.Was thinking about having a fo8 loop on my mono tag for my weight. Then tying a fo8 loop on a section of this Esp tungsten hook length stuff.Then loop on\off when i need small weight adjustments equivalent to no8 shots.Anyone familiar with this stuff in coarse fishing.Does it knot well & how heavy is the stuff.Cheers all

#2 ·
Looks interesting for fast water. Seen an American video of a chap using a finger of braided type sock with split shot loaded into it. The sock meant to stop snags.

Trouble is with light leader 3-4 lb doesn't leave for much for yanking it loose whatever is tied on the end.

#4 ·
It knots very well, but don't be fooled into its sinking properties. When tied between a swivel and hook, the micro air pockets between the braid and outer sheath cause it to loop up off the bottom. Anglers then use tungsten putty to pin it down where the marketing machine have you believe it already should be ;)

#5 ·
So it's not very heavy then.In the end i just ordered some small cheap pear shaped rig rings from ebay.I will tie a bit of mono on the rings & clamp no8 stotz to the mono.Then just loop the tear drop ring on\off as needed.Should be fast & I know it will weigh around 80mg.The tungsten coated hook link i would just be guessing it's weight.Cheers all.

#6 ·
Just thinking you could attach a 3mm tippet ring to the end of the rig and attach a length of pre weighted mono with a very small snap swivel. It would allow quick changes of weight without messing about opening and closing split shot .Still prefer split shot myself for weight.

#7 ·
Similar thought to above but done with simple pre-weighted tags of line and tie them to the tippet ring or a loop.

Just thinking about less tackle to snag.

Use lighter line for the weighted tags and you'd have some confidence in breaking off if the shot do snag.

#9 ·
I have already tried most things over the years.You want something simple & streamlined to keep tangles down.A fo8 mono loop at the end with a bunny ear tag on it should work.The bunny ear tag makes it faster a simpler for loosening the loop to loop connection.I also have cheap small fly snaps.I can also tie a fly snap at the end.Then clip on\off the pear shape rig ring weight.I mostly use dinsmore no6 shot.The no6 is so easy to use.But in shallow rivers or low water conditions. I do sometimes need to work with the more fiddly no8.Cheers all

#11 ·
If you want something to cut down on snags try a a paper clip straightened out with the split shot attached to that. Being longer it does not fall down behind snags as easy.
When coarse fishing on very snag ridden chub swims we use a heavy nail for the same reasons.

#19 ·
Similar ideas for sea fishing into snaggy rocky marks, use long fixed wire leads to stop them dropping between rocks. Next up is the rotten bottom link: old nuts, bolts, whatever on a 5 or 10lb link of nylon to a 50lb mainline so you know what's going to give.

Why i'd suggested light line for the weighted tags above.

#16 ·
Yes seen
View attachment 46186 This lead core with a loop on the end works well as a sacrificial weight that doesnt snag.
It weighs 0.2 grains more than a 3.3mm slotted tungsten bead.
Yes seen this before & thought about trying it.Alway's thought it would be illegal to use in the UK.I know it's not legal to use lead shot bigger than no8.And lead wire has to be below a dressed fly.Anyone know is it legal to use lead core.Cheers All

#17 ·
It is getting close to Christmas so allow me a Bah Humbug moment...

Here we are in general fly fishing talking about split shot, snap swivels and "rigs".
Bloody hell it is nearly as bad as those float fishers (bung users) who think they are fly fishing!

Bah humbug.

Andy

#20 ·
I ordered a spool of the leadcore & cheap jewelry scales of ebay.I will make up a few different lengths when i get home from working.It does seem like a very cheap way to add weight to your rigs.Some rivers i fish are stuffed with tree branches in winter.When i euronymphed i used to lose loads of nymphs in winter.Hardly ever lose any flies nowadays. I imagine leadcore will get stuck even less than split shot.Cheers all

#21 ·
Just home from working away night shift.Still in zombie mode.I have been messing around making some lead core weights.Havent tried them yet.Think i will get away with making a few shorter ones.Then just pinch on/off small amounts of tungsten putty to the lead core.Looks like tungsten putty sticks to it really well.I will try it on a braid/ Ladder Leader.I reckon it will hardly ever get stuck & probably very few tangles.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.