Ethiopia

Sash

I am going to Ethiopia in March-April, and will be going up into both the Bale and Simien Mountains. Bale, I understand, is known to have trout in some of the rivers.

Has anyone fished there, or know anyone who has, and could recommend useful fly patterns? Otherwise I will take broad selection of tadpoles, damsels and gold heads.

Thanks

Sash

How irritating: I now understand, from the TF thread, that there was an article published on this recently.
If anyone could point me to the article, I would be really grateful.

I have watched the videos on YouTube now: all seems to be large nymphs under an indicator, but that may reflect the pretty dirty water.

Sash

OK, I have read the article now: probably the most useful issue of TF I have ever bought!
Rather symbolic, really, given its demise.

Clearly, if anyone has any more info they could add (in particular, are waders needed? Doesn't look like it, but....), i would be really grateful.

albacore

Hi, I don’t know if your Ethiopia trip happened as scheduled in the end, with the lockdown coming in around last spring, so maybe you’ve yet to go, or you’ll go again. I was in Ethiopia as a child, in 1972-5 and we did take a trip to the Bale Mountains. I cheated, but I was only 8 or 9, and ended up using live beatles. They were trout crack! The stream I fished was very clear and deep and narrow. Waders might be useful in places but you’d probably be better off staying out of the water to avoid making disturbance. The beetles were I think small black dung beetles, about 1 cm long. So from what I remember, the trout are upward looking; perhaps there’s not that much to eat below the surface. If I were to go again, I’d take black-and-peacock spiders and fish them dry as well as wet, also hoppers.

Sash

Hi, I don’t know if your Ethiopia trip happened as scheduled in the end, with the lockdown coming in around last spring, so maybe you’ve yet to go, or you’ll go again. I was in Ethiopia as a child, in 1972-5 and we did take a trip to the Bale Mountains. I cheated, but I was only 8 or 9, and ended up using live beatles. They were trout crack! The stream I fished was very clear and deep and narrow. Waders might be useful in places but you’d probably be better off staying out of the water to avoid making disturbance. The beetles were I think small black dung beetles, about 1 cm long. So from what I remember, the trout are upward looking; perhaps there’s not that much to eat below the surface. If I were to go again, I’d take black-and-peacock spiders and fish them dry as well as wet, also hoppers.
Thanks for asking! Alas, Covid-19 intervened with only days before our scheduled dpearture, so we have had to postpone everything, at least into 2021, and potentially later.
But thanks SO much for your comments and advice: B&Ps were not on my list, and I now have plenty of time to tie some up!

gwyndavies

Not about the original posting, but its a chance for me to say a big thanks 👍 to Jeffrey Prest AKA thewormturns for his excellent contribution to Trout Fisherman.
All the best.
Gwyn

Latest posts