Euro nymphing rod

glosterboy

What are you looking for in terms of rod action in a rod specifically for straight line nymphing?

I'm not looking for suggestions for a rod, I'd like to build one. I'm just not sure exactly what action I'm aiming for.
I'm driving myself crackers trying to figure out which blank to use.

It seems to me that the lower sections need to be 2 or 3 line weights higher than the upper section , but how would you describe such an action?

I didn't want to post this in the rodbuilding section as its more about what action works well for the application.

kingf000

What are you looking for in terms of rod action in a rod specifically for straight line nymphing?

I'm not looking for suggestions for a rod, I'd like to build one. I'm just not sure exactly what action I'm aiming for.
I'm driving myself crackers trying to figure out which blank to use.

It seems to me that the lower sections need to be 2 or 3 line weights higher than the upper section , but how would you describe such an action?

I didn't want to post this in the rodbuilding section as its more about what action works well for the application.
From what I've read, a fast action rod is good for detecting bites, but is difficult to cast an level line. Medium action rods are poorer at detecting bites but easier to cast with. So it looks as though you need to be at the faster end of a fast/medium - whatever that means! Did you see my entry in the rod building section on a 10ft 2wt nymphing rod? Unfortunately because of the lock down I've yet to try out the rod and it probably won't be until September.

glosterboy

Thanks for the replies.
I've not seen a solid tipped rod or blank for this type of rod but I wouldn't be surprised.
I think what you need has more in common with a ledgering rod than a fly rod.
The tip needs to be soft enough to detect bites but the blank has to be soft enough so that you can load it to cast with minimum weight, a nylon leader and a couple of bead head nymphs weigh next to nothing.
I have a very light baitcasting setup that I enjoy using that's 5-15G if i try using lures around 5 g and less then its almost impossible to cast accurately. I'm sure its the same problem with euronymph rods.
That's why I'm not sure a fast actioned rod is the right way to go.
Kingfoo see how you get on with yours in September.
I may contact CTS and see what they have to say or just give up on the idea. Sage produce a blank that's specifically for the job but its not cheap! Thanks again

kingf000

Thanks for the replies.
I've not seen a solid tipped rod or blank for this type of rod but I wouldn't be surprised.
I think what you need has more in common with a ledgering rod than a fly rod.
The tip needs to be soft enough to detect bites but the blank has to be soft enough so that you can load it to cast with minimum weight, a nylon leader and a couple of bead head nymphs weigh next to nothing.
I have a very light baitcasting setup that I enjoy using that's 5-15G if i try using lures around 5 g and less then its almost impossible to cast accurately. I'm sure its the same problem with euronymph rods.
That's why I'm not sure a fast actioned rod is the right way to go.
Kingfoo see how you get on with yours in September.
I may contact CTS and see what they have to say or just give up on the idea. Sage produce a blank that's specifically for the job but its not cheap! Thanks again
The Hanak blanks are supposed to be as good as the Sage, but a lot cheaper. You can get a superlight from moucheshop for 259 euros.

losthwy

Thomas and Thomas comes highly rated. That said I recently purchased a Syndicate P1134. It's less than half the price of a Sage or Thomas and Thomas. It comes with an uploading reel seat though. Which I replaced with a downloading.

Troutbhoy

I use a Syndicate Pipeline 10ft 2 weight, great rods for the money, they’re really popular over here in Ireland also had a Guideline LPs 9.6 ft 2 weight which was a horrible rod in contrast, lifeless feeling & crappy downlocking reel seats my reels always got stuck when using it

kingf000

Thomas and Thomas comes highly rated. That said I recently purchased a Syndicate P1134. It's less than half the price of a Sage or Thomas and Thomas. It comes with an uploading reel seat though. Which I replaced with a downloading.
Looks a nice rod but why do they sell it with an uploading reel seat? A downloading reel seat results in a huge reduction in the weight of the reel needed to balance the rod, hence a much lower overall weight of the set up, important for using it all day at arms length. IMO I think we have been conned by the manufacturers into buying heavier screw reel seats. On lightweight rods like this, I've been putting the old fashioned collared reel seats on my rods, which are much lighter and I never have any problems of the reel falling off. The rod comes from South Korea and for that price it probably has a pretty generic blank. It would be interesting to know what blank is used and whether you can get it! May be the same as the Next blank that is made in South Korea and looks a very similar colour?

Mrwayne

budget: vision nymphmaniac
expensive: Maxia SX
Mr. Fancy pants hybrid: Hardy Zephrus ultralite #2 or #3

Spider

I have a 10ft 2 wt Syndicate. Super rod and decent value. I hardly use anything else now, including things like my Sage SLT. It's the 2 wt rod, Silk line, 15ft leader and this set up covers everything from dries to French nymphing, without the need to change the line. Just use Skarfers wax.