Euro nymphing with Tenkara?

Vermontdrifter

Hi Folks;

was just wondering if anyone was doing this and, if yes, then how was the rod casting a heavy tungsten nymph as I’ll be fishing swims down to 1.5 meter with fast currents. I know I could go with a dedicated nymphing rod but it’s more a case of trying something different!

Thanks

Terry

kingf000

Hi Folks;

was just wondering if anyone was doing this and, if yes, then how was the rod casting a heavy tungsten nymph as I’ll be fishing swims down to 1.5 meter with fast currents. I know I could go with a dedicated nymphing rod but it’s more a case of trying something different!

Thanks

Terry
I use my Tenkara USA Amago, which has been built for this kind of fishing, with tungsten beads up to 4mm and up to 5ft deep. It is a strong rod and casts very well, catching trout up to 3lb.

delray

V, you'll enjoy it I'm sure. Usual 'casting' tactic, let the current load the rod allowing the bead to come up close to the surface, slowly increase the tempo and lob it to your start point and lift the line off. I use the basic Tenkara Times, 3.6m, 6:4 (I think) and it's remarkably strong and able. The lightness and the length certainly help the method. Because of the 'lobbing' rather than casting, I don't complicate the leader construction; 6lb or 8lb straight through to whatever tippet you choose.

I also have one of Maxcatch's Zoom rods which is heavier, stiffer (in comparison) and seems to be a pile of shite for actual tenkara, but I suspect it'll handle any size bead I'd need and hopefully will be tried out next week.

kingf000

The amago is 4.1m, so more suitable for larger rivers. I was lucky enough to buy it second hand at about 1/2 price!

Vermontdrifter

Thanks Guys! I’ll be putting a Maxcatch Tenkara on my shopping list and if I like the overall feel I’ll upgrade to a better rod.

micka

Tenkara is superb for nymphing - all types. Casting rule - always keep weighted flies under tension when casting - lobbing using water tension or Belgian style (much safer for you and the rod). For heavier nymphs (and the deadly squirmy worm) I will always use my most powerful Tenkara rod. For smaller nymphs and Euro-style nymphing I will scale down.

Enjoy.

Mick

Vermontdrifter

Next question for the experts. 12 or 13 feet? These are fairly wide open rivers running mainly through pastures.

micka

The bigger the river the bigger the rod - it will give you better water command.

BTW not an expert just an enthusiast who is still very much learning.

Mick

Last edited:
G

GEK79

V, you'll enjoy it I'm sure. Usual 'casting' tactic, let the current load the rod allowing the bead to come up close to the surface, slowly increase the tempo and lob it to your start point and lift the line off. I use the basic Tenkara Times, 3.6m, 6:4 (I think) and it's remarkably strong and able. The lightness and the length certainly help the method. Because of the 'lobbing' rather than casting, I don't complicate the leader construction; 6lb or 8lb straight through to whatever tippet you choose.

I also have one of Maxcatch's Zoom rods which is heavier, stiffer (in comparison) and seems to be a pile of shite for actual tenkara, but I suspect it'll handle any size bead I'd need and hopefully will be tried out next week.
Will await an update mate.

micka

Oh, and by the way, don't worry about doing a "Belgium Cast" - they're just next door to you in Luxembourg and wouldn't mind at all!!! Or am I talking in Double Dutch???

(Sorry about that.)

Mick

kingf000

Next question for the experts. 12 or 13 feet? These are fairly wide open rivers running mainly through pastures.
IMO the longer the better. Mine is 13'6" and it is great. Swing weight is very high compared with a normal rod (amigo, 550g, 19.4 oz) but with the overall lightness, it doesn't seem to matter. That said, the more you pay, the lighter the rod: Amigo 96g vs Maxcatch 13ft at 129g. The tip sensitivity and having the line tied onto the rod gives you a much better feel than with a conventional rod. As with all casting with heavy nymphs, need to avoid hitting the rod with the nymph! So a wide sweep of a swing rather than straight back and forward.
It is also worth having a day's guiding with a Tenkara guide. I had one and I learn't an awful lot.

Vermontdrifter

Oh, and by the way, don't worry about doing a "Belgium Cast" - they're just next door to you in Luxembourg and wouldn't mind at all!!! Or am I talking in Double Dutch???

(Sorry about that.)

Mick
Literally next door to me and one of the rivers I’m looking at is part of the boarder with them so I’ll be invading their territory!😉 The other three rivers are on the Eastern side and the Sure is the boarder with Germany. In Luxembourg it doesn’t take much to get hit with a roaming charge on your GSM! Only bad part is that Luxembourg beer takes after the German rather than the Belgium stuff.

micka

Order is placed but will it arrive before the end of Grayling season is the question!

Sorry, don't know your first name but you might care to google the Belgian (as I should call it) Cast. Basically it's an under or side cast followed immediately by and overhead cast with weighted flies always under tension and always kept well away from the rod tip.

He's a good exposition of it:

Sorry if this is already meat and drink to you but anyone who doesn't know it will find it useful to have in their armoury.

Mick

Vermontdrifter

Hey Mick;

i was shown this cast by a Manc Lad on Islay about ten years ago but never knew the name. Much better name than what he called it which was a f**kin pick up cast!!!

Thanks

Terry

morayfisher

Trust Member
The more chat about Tenkara the better imo.
I’ve been dabbling with it for a while and really enjoying it.
I was lucky enough to get in a day with John Pearson (Discover Tenkara) this summer and learned a lot, intend to make it my go to method next season.
Cheers.

micka

The more chat about Tenkara the better imo.
I’ve been dabbling with it for a while and really enjoying it.
I was lucky enough to get in a day with John Pearson (Discover Tenkara) this summer and learned a lot, intend to make it my go to method next season.
Cheers.
Yes, John's a brilliant teacher Moray and Discover Tenkara is a great site for those interested in the method. And keep on "dabbling" with it because that's all I'm doing really but it has certainly brought the fun back into fishing for me.

Mick

morayfisher

Trust Member
Yes, John's a brilliant teacher Moray and Discover Tenkara is a great site for those interested in the method. And keep on "dabbling" with it because that's all I'm doing really but it has certainly brought the fun back into fishing for me.

Mick
I think that’s the word for it “FUN” 👍

I rode lots of different motorbikes from the age of 16 until relatively recently culminating in one of the best big tourers you could buy. Heated seats, cruise control etc. etc.. A great machine for what it was designed for and for three or four weeks a year on holiday it was fantastic. BUT the rest of the time it was so refined and un exciting, the fun had gone.
Hankering after something light, punchy and basic again now to find the fun factor again there.

Not really a great comparison as I love fly fishing in general but anything where you go “wow, this is fun” can’t be beat.

Vermontdrifter

The two of you have hit the nail on the head. The purpose of fishing is to have fun and part of that is to try new things and see how they work out!

morayfisher

Trust Member
The two of you have hit the nail on the head. The purpose of fishing is to have fun and part of that is to try new things and see how they work out!
Yes, and it has reminded me that despite having a decent Japanese rod (not yet fished with but bought for next season), and a Maxcatch which I’m happy with for the money, I’ve also had great fun with a ‘Goture’ branded rod. About £20 with spare top three sections.
I have used it on a very overgrown burn where on one the best pools an overhead cast is impossible but a best of 10 wbt in 90 minutes without worrying about breaking the rod was brilliant.