Euronymph leaders

lavo85

Hi,

ive been using straight through amnesia for my euronymphing but lately ive thought it a little thick in diameter for the strength given, im wondering what others are using?
Im currently using the 12lb which is 0.35 i think.

b13rux

Hi,

ive been using straight through amnesia for my euronymphing but lately ive thought it a little thick in diameter for the strength given, im wondering what others are using?
Im currently using the 12lb which is 0.35 i think.
I've been using Team Fujishi 5.41KG bi-colour, its quite hard to find in the UK but even shipped from Poland its not too expensive for the amount you get, i would have preferred the 6.82KG as that is slightly thicker and that's the stuff the guy who showed me how to euro nymph taught me with.

But i the supplier i found didn't have it in stock, and have to say I've found the 5.41KG fine despite the lower diameter.

The 5.41KG (12LB) is 0.232 and the thicker 6.82KG (15LB) is 0.261diameter

Its good stuff and comes in 200m spools, which is great as you can put a really generous amount to the backing without worrying about how much you have left, no doubt it will last me a long time yet since I haven't replaced my leader section all season so far!

hopefully that helps

mebu

Yes visit Fish On site, shop has their own French Leaders, many say they are the best.

Peter

rabmax

Theres so many different setups. Everyone is different.Probably the last 3 years I have been going down the more Spanish leader rought.I like either gold stren or Amnesia leaders.Say something like 25 ft of 10lb red Amnesia then 13ft of 6lb Amnesia to a 1mm tippet ring.The first 10lb sections just makes for easy handling & line control. You are fishing the 6lb section & there is very little line sag.Takes practice to get accurate with your casts.My last section either 6lb 0.22mm red Amnesia or 4lb 0.20mm gold stren.Never have a break-off in my leader.My tippet will go first usually around 0.12 or 0.14mm tippet.I reckon 6lb Amnesia would probably break about 8lb anyway.Cheers

wobbly face

Yes visit Fish On site, shop has their own French Leaders, many say they are the best.

Peter
Yes they are the best but .......................... they have a thick butt section which causes sag through the rod rings and I hate the knots which catch against the rod rings when pulling fish in or trying to fish short range.
I've tried level Tenkara line but didn't get good range on casting, perhaps I need to boil the line!! :unsure:
The only problem I've heard about with the so called micro euro leaders is accuracy. But as rab posted, practice.

rabmax

Yes they are the best but .......................... they have a thick butt section which causes sag through the rod rings and I hate the knots which catch against the rod rings when pulling fish in or trying to fish short range.
I've tried level Tenkara line but didn't get good range on casting, perhaps I need to boil the line!! :unsure:
The only problem I've heard about with the so called micro euro leaders is accuracy. But as rab posted, practice.
I couldn't go back to fish-on type leader.Once you get good with micro leaders.You never want to go back to trying to control all the sag with 20lb butt leaders.No need for fancy tapers for nymphing.But each to there own i say.Cheers

lavo85

I couldn't go back to fish-on type leader.Once you get good with micro leaders.You never want to go back to trying to control all the sag with 20lb butt leaders.No need for fancy tapers for nymphing.But each to there own i say.Cheers
Rab where do you buy the stren?
Have you tried berkely nanofil? Very thin diameter, 13lb is only 0.10mm thickness so i might give it a go.

Scotty Mitchell

I used to use Fish On all the time but forgot my nymph set up on a trip to the Welsh Dee and could only get hold of a Hends knotless 9m and have stuck with it since. I couldn’t go back to knots now.
I’m sure straight through is ok for just nymphing but I reckon it’s not so good for your rod guides. A tapered leader of some sort can help turn a dry over too if need be.

rabmax

Have you tried berkely nanofil? Very thin diameter, 13lb is only 0.10mm thickness so i might give it a go.
Gold stren is much harder to find these days.Still comes up on ebay cheap sometimes.And more expensively on Amazon.Berkely nanofil 0.10mm would be very thin as main leader(Is it monofilament)Most people use from 0.16mm - about 0.22mm for Spanish leaders.I like around 0.20-0.22mm.

rabmax

I just looked up nanofil.It's a fused braid from what i can find.I tried braid years back.Tried berkely fireline & spiderwire braid.My findings was.I didn't care for the stiffer wire like texture of the fused braid fireline.Spiderwire is softer memory free loved the the stuff.The downside with the Spiderwire was.If fishing in the rain the spiderwire continually wraps round your rod tip.(real pain) so went back to using monofilament again.Thin Spanish monofilament leaders wrap round your rod tip too when raining.But if you wrap your nymph rod with something like 6lb monofilament. This stops your leader sticking & wrapping in the rain.Doesn't solve the wrapping with the spiderwire braid though.Guess it comes down to finding a braid you like that doesn't wrap round your rod continually.Unlike the guy in the video my mono wrap on my rod is a permanent fixture.Never tried nanofil so not sure.Cheer

Last edited:

b13rux

I just looked up nanofil.It's a fused braid from what i can find.I tried braid years back.Tried berkely fireline & spiderwire braid.My findings was.I didn't care for the stiffer wire like texture of the fused braid fireline.Spiderwire is softer memory free loved the the stuff.The downside with the Spiderwire was.If fishing in the rain the spiderwire continually wraps round your rod tip.(real pain) so went back to using monofilament again.Thin Spanish monofilament leaders wrap round your rod tip too when raining.But if you wrap your nymph rod with something like 6lb monofilament. This stops your leader sticking & wrapping in the rain.Doesn't solve the wrapping with the spiderwire braid though.Guess it comes down to finding a braid you like that doesn't wrap round your rod continually.Unlike the guy in the video my mono wrap on my rod is a permanent fixture.Never tried nanofil so not sure.Cheer
That’s an excellent video! I had this very issue earlier in the season and it drives you potty when the line is sticking to the blank!

Thank you!

Last edited:

icejohn

An interesting video but surely this is down to water tension and how thin the diameter of tippet is. Would wiping there rod down with an amerol silicon wipe do the same job?

As far as using braid goes there are coated carp braids cast well and don't suffer from the wrapping around the rod eye. But the coating obviously adds weight. This might help somone out who is looking for different braid.

Latest posts