European Cup Rugby

delray

Couple of thumping games yesterday, Saracens v Ospreys not being one of them. Blimey, Ospreys were poor.

Flicked through a couple of recordings last night and the Exeter/Glasgow and Munster/Racing looked very tasty.

boisker

Sarries looked in good form... getting close to what you expect from them in the 2 nd half... and Osprey’s were rubbish:D
Exeter /Glasgow close first half, but Exeter dominant for the whole 2nd half....

mrnotherone

Thought all the games yesterday were poor. Ospreys were still without 6 first choices but they've been terrible all season and Quins were good for their win over another poor Bath performance. I thought Exeter looked good at the end. The best match I saw was possibly at Welford where Leicester's seconds narrowly beat the Blues.

Missed the Munster game, by all accounts a late comeback from Munster for the draw.

Mies

Missed the Munster game, by all accounts a late comeback from Munster for the draw.
A lucky one at that. Even though they could have had an undeserved win but for the botched drop from Hanrahan. Wih away games to Sarries and Racing it looks like the Pro 14 is, unfortunately, beckoning again :doh:

Gdog

Leinster have won two games without breaking sweat but against two teams with no history of achievement in this competition, Lyon top of the french top 14 have lost all 8 games they've played in the champions cup.

Next game away to Northampton will be more challenging.

delray

The Munster/Saracens/Racing group is going to be very difficult to get out of, but Racing are looking warm favourites.

N'ton are playing some delightful rugby with their young backs plus the giant on the wing, but I don't believe they have the nous to get past Leinster, home or away, and Glos played some great stuff in defeat to Montpelier.

From my perspective, it's good to see some English club victories in the group games and not solely relying on Saracens to 'carry the flag'.

mrnotherone

I tend to agree with that re Saints. Biggar is playing well but I doubt they’ll have enough against Leinster. I still think Saracens and Exeter will carry any English flag the furthest.

Gdog

My son and I are going to see Leinster v Northampton at the Aviva, Saturday fortnight, always a great atmosphere at the Leinster home games in the Aviva just before Christmas.

Northampton fans, come over to Dublin for the craic and porter black.

Mies

My son and I are going to see Leinster v Northampton at the Aviva, Saturday fortnight, always a great atmosphere at the Leinster home games in the Aviva just before Christmas
'mon the Saints...

(just kidding...ish :whistle:)

Mies

I know, you support one of the other provinces where half the squad came through Leinster schools or academy. :whistle:
Sure isn't it the least you D4 lads can do for your poor aul country cousins :)

delray

Saracens seem to be making a statement about where their priorities for this season lie; the selection for Munster remains formidable but certainly not full strength. If they lose, very tough to qualify and a Vunipola playing 10 at Thomond Park.....?
I'm wondering if they've done their maths and reckon a top 6 position in the league is more likely than winning the Champions Cup (it probably is)
Going to be interesting when England selection comes up in the New Year.

Gdog

Sure isn't it the least you D4 lads can do for your poor aul country cousins :)
The ground is in D4, but fewer players these days. Lots of the players are actually.poor aul country cousins, Furlong, Toner, Conor O'Brien, the Kearneys etc.

delray

Great contest and atmosphere today with Saracens showing their bloody mindedness again when faced with a very difficult situation, having a telling decision go their way, but picking up a few knocks with Billy V probably being out for the season.
Terrific game in Toulouse by the look of it too.

3 English clubs surprisingly through and guaranteed 1 into the semis; Leinster won't like having to face Saracens but should have enough (may go to that); Toulouse should have too much for Ulster and I won't make a call on Clermont/Racing which is going to be an epic game.

I have a strong fancy for France in the 6N.

Cheers all.

delray

Ugo Monye, 1 or 2 other pundits and England club owners can't have enjoyed the rugby today.....Saracens, minus 12 of their Euro Championship winning squad last year, again show their spirit, determination, bloody mindedness and not a small amount of talent to go to Ireland and beat an all conquering Leinster. Brilliant performance bearing in mind most of them have not even been playing recently.
Very unlikely they'll repeat next week in France but who knows.

Question of Sport question in a few years time; how did Leicester Tigers Rugby qualify in 2020 for the semis of an European Trophy without playing?

It remains interesting and difficult times in top end sport.
Regards, Del

original cormorant

I've watched a lot of the post lockdown games and the Bristol/Dragons and Leinster/Sarries games have been by far and away the best. I've been disappointed by most of the matches I've seen. As a Saints supporter I could see the potential for Sarries slipping up with a half time lead.

Bristol now look the no2 team in England and I will be surprised if Sarries don't win against Racing next week .

Leicester aided by 16th man :whistle:

I don't think the pundits have a down on Sarries in Europe - they were cheating in the premiership but no salary caps in Europe. I think you'll find most if not all the Sarries have been playing regularly subject to rotation. Before the match the commentators were saying that Leinster might suffer from having played less rugby than Saracens.

Last edited:

delray

I seem to remember none of yesterday's Saracens starters started against Exeter, 1 started against Sale, a good few v London Irish and 2 against Glos, their previous 4 games. I can't recall the benches in those games.
I have no idea what teams Leinster were putting out prior to this game, but they certainly had their full strength one out v Ulster the week before and I'd suggest the possibility the commentators were looking at number of fixtures, not team lists. The BT team, Kaye and O'Driscoll apart, aren't renowned for prep and detail. Just my view.

Bristol looked like Old Trumpington's 2nd team for parts of the game but certainly lit up when they had some rhythm and continuity. The Fijian (?) centre is something special as is Earl and Malins......;)

I'll have a little bet with you re the game against Racing. 1 fly says Racing win.

Good luck today v Exeter; I hope your guys have found another loose head and that they turn Exeter over, but sadly, can't see it happening.
Regards,
Del

original cormorant

I seem to remember none of yesterday's Saracens starters started against Exeter, 1 started against Sale, a good few v London Irish and 2 against Glos, their previous 4 games. I can't recall the benches in those games.
I have no idea what teams Leinster were putting out prior to this game, but they certainly had their full strength one out v Ulster the week before and I'd suggest the possibility the commentators were looking at number of fixtures, not team lists. The BT team, Kaye and O'Driscoll apart, aren't renowned for prep and detail. Just my view.

Bristol looked like Old Trumpington's 2nd team for parts of the game but certainly lit up when they had some rhythm and continuity. The Fijian (?) centre is something special as is Earl and Malins......;)

I'll have a little bet with you re the game against Racing. 1 fly says Racing win.

Good luck today v Exeter; I hope your guys have found another loose head and that they turn Exeter over, but sadly, can't see it happening.
Regards,
Del
The resumed premiership is all about rotating players and targeting specific games but all teams are flat out for the europe games this weekend.

I'm not sure that Sarries at their greatest flaunting of salary caps would have had many more than 5 loose heads on the books. :whistle:
I was at Sandy Park to see Saints beaten by Exeter by 50 odd points in February at around the time Saints stopped winning games, now no chance of that result being turned around.

Racing may want it a lot, but I think Sarries want it more.

mrnotherone

I don't think the pundits have a down on Sarries in Europe - they were cheating in the premiership but no salary caps in Europe. I think you'll find most if not all the Sarries have been playing regularly subject to rotation. Before the match the commentators were saying that Leinster might suffer from having played less rugby than Saracens.
Sarries were cheating...period. Qualification for Europe is based on domestic results and they should have been thrown out of all competitions.

Their performance yesterday was excellent though, particularly without the ball. Racing looked very good but I wouldn't rule Sarries out, could be quite a game. I do think Leinster were under cooked yesterday and just a few games is no preparation to take on that Sarries pack.

Even though it's a cup game I can't see Saints turning over Exeter at home, not on current form. I hope it's competitive though and not a one way street.