European Cup Rugby

Gdog

I would agree with that 100%

A bunch of cheats are now through to the semi final of a competition they should have been thrown out of.

At least we won't have to put up with them of another 2 years at least.

Green29

what is the relationship with central contracts and the pay cap, Minefield to call Sarries cheats in the European arena?

delray

Plus personal deals which seem to be allowed in some countries bit not others, and which ultimately done for Saracens (I think....).

mrnotherone

what is the relationship with central contracts and the pay cap, Minefield to call Sarries cheats in the European arena?
Why a minefield?..I don't understand your point. It doesn't matter what the pay cap is in other countries or leagues or whether central contracts exist. Professional rugby isn't a level playing field across international boundary's. All any team can do is act within the rules of where they play. For English clubs, entry into Europe is through league performance. Sarries cheated in that league and therefore shouldn't have been allowed representation.

original cormorant

I'm by no means a Sarries fan, but I note that it's the Irish and Welsh who are saying Sarries shouldn't be representing England in Europe.

delray

What's done is done; Saracens are paying for their misdemeanours with a depleted squad and relegation and as has been mentioned, there's an argument they shouldn't't be in Europe but they are for another week.
Watched some of Exeter/N'ton; I'm beginning to believe Exeter are finally good enough to compete with the top Euro sides; very big, very efficient with a Rolls Royce in the midfield; Slade is so easy on the eye.
Have to admire the young N'ton loose head; didn't drop his head fro one second and even won a couple of penalties from Francis, a top class tight head. Ultimately, N'ton sadly, for me, outclassed.

mrnotherone

I'm by no means a Sarries fan, but I note that it's the Irish and Welsh who are saying Sarries shouldn't be representing England in Europe.
I don't think that has anything to do with it, I'm a Bath season ticket holder. Sarries aren't representing England anyway. As Del says, what's done is done, but for the sake of the game I hope they don't win it. I'd like to see Exeter pull it off.

PaulD

I'm quite sure Leinster don't lie about how much they pay their players.
Neither did Saracens 'lie' about their players salaries, it's not as simple as that. The 'problems' centred around the co-investments in property made by the owner and the companies of senior players.

Over many years, numerous clubs have found ways to effectively 'circumnavigate' the salary cap - for example, by 'employing' the player's wife, in one case I'm aware of she was the most expensive 'cleaner' you could imagine.

mrnotherone

What a cracking game at Bristol this evening. As a Bath fan it's hard to watch such a good Bristol side but I love the way they play. Lam has done a great job with this team.

delray

It was that and they're in great physical shape too. Can't remember the backer's name, but he and his team are building something special, just a shame the fans can't be there.

delray

West Country Rugby well and truly back to the top of English Union. Brilliant results for Exeter and Bristol.
Sam Simmons was no doubt excellent, but I do enjoy watching O'Flaherty play; 'punches' way above his weight and Johnny Hill must have EJ's attention finally.

mrnotherone

What a game.....Bristol were excellent and very well deserved.
Not easy for a Bath fan to say that ( :) ) but they were the better team.

Let's hope Exeter can follow it with another win tomorrow.

delray

Just finished catching up with the recording; Bristol were excellent. Shouldn't mention individuals, but, very impressed with the little 9, Randall. Always thought he was a bit small at age group levels for England, and worried about his transition to Premiership, but needn't have done; wonderful player.
Looking forward to tomorrow's game, but a great start to the Rugby weekend.

delray

Again, just watched the recording; brilliant!! Bristol/Exeter Team Collective V Toulon/Racing Tons of Money, and Collective cleans up.
Well done the West Country, f........ fantastic even in the oddest season we'll (hopefully) ever have and how happy are Hogg and Gray making the long move South and West to Devon? Great story.

Latest posts