Evening on the River

Rob Edmunds

My lad and I just popped down the local river Nene for an hour ( only 1/4 mile from our house - so local)

The river is still very high, coloured and pushing through......in my mind it was a waste of time and cold so I didn't even take a rod.

My lad however did want to fish and had a 2 nice Chub on the #3 weight and those dam "squirmy worms"

I may even have a go tomorrow evening 🤦‍♂️
IMG-20210104-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20210104-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210104-WA0000.jpg

Perch@1

My lad and I just popped down the local river Nene for an hour ( only 1/4 mile from our house - so local)

The river is still very high, coloured and pushing through......in my mind it was a waste of time and cold so I didn't even take a rod.

My lad however did want to fish and had a 2 nice Chub on the #3 weight and those dam "squirmy worms"

I may even have a go tomorrow evening 🤦‍♂️
View attachment 34405View attachment 34406

View attachment 34407
Your son wants to be proud of himself, real good catch, well done 🎣

Rhithrogena

Nice bit of excercise! Were they beaded SqoWo's? Wondering how your son fished them? Let it sink and twitch deep through slacks and eddies?
Rich

Rob Edmunds

Yes beaded Squirmy Worm point and hares ear dropper cast upstream and Fish dead drift.

Then hang and slow figure of 8 with a pause etc, just working the flies

And Yes as you say fish on the inside in the slow moving water rather than the full fast flow and fish the pools and slack water too.
IMG-20210104-WA0001~2.jpg

Last edited:

Rhithrogena

Thank you,
My biggest chub on fly was 21" long and 19" girth (5+ lbs?) back in the early 80's out of the river Bain in Lincs. Used to catch a lot of dace and chub in that river. Certain I had a dace of well over a pound there once and slipped it back thinking it was a small chub - I have an imprint of the dorsal fin in my memory showing it to be a dace, maybe. If a dace it would have been a very noteworthy fish at that size....