External hard drives which one for me

Oldbones

I know nothing about these things, but I have hundreds of pics on my lap top, which I need to sort out.
Could any one recommend what I should get, I am not computer savvy, so it has to be simple.
My Laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 320S 141KB, Windows 10.

glueman

Old ones, I do not know any makes but I have a very old one and it is now full so buy the one with the biggest memory you can find it is amazing how fast you can fill them. Good luck with your project

bonefishblues

If you see a hard drive as a long-term solution, go for a solid state (SSD) as opposed to a spinny-disk one as they are more reliable.

An alternative is to pay for cloud storage and take them off your machine altogether, with the benefit that you'll be able to access them wherever you are.

diawl bach

I've got an older version of this hard drive, compact fast and allegedly strong enough to take a bump ( wouldn't bank on that) . A couple of friends bought the same model, no issues.

Cap'n Fishy

I have a 6 TB WD My Book attached to my desktop, which holds a copy of all my photographs, but also does automatic back-up of all docs on my desktop.

I also have a 3 TB solid state Samsung that lives outwith the house and it has a second copy of all photos on it.

For using with a laptop something like the wee Samsung might fit your needs well.

This is a 2 TB one...

Col

rosshouse

Just to add to what others have said, do not consider anything other than SSD. I found out the hard way a few years ago, lost approx. 50% of almost 20 years of photography when my external hard drive packed in. Yes I know now, back up every thing then back it up again.

drlogik

+1 SSD, they are much faster than a HDD but do cost more. And, agree with others, buy a bigger drive than you think you'll need. Amazing how quickly they fill up!

Have a second very large HDD (Hard Disk Drive) as a secondary backup also. And, if all your photography is digital, buy a third one as a backup for your backup.

Last edited:

Twiss

Like any device, all disks can, and will eventually fail, thus vital to have more than one backup. As already stated, it is also important to get a disk of adequate capacity. With photos, videos, operating system images, etc, a small 1TB disk might sound big now but soon fills, so would suggest 2TB minimum, 4TB preferable.
An SSD is fast but as the size of a SSD increases, the price rises disproportionally. So, for example, if you decided to go for a 4TB drive, you could buy two 4TB HHDs, and still have loads of change out of the money you would have to pay for one 4TB SSD. Thus as you don’t need the speed for backup purposes, the extra cost of a SSD is not justified, as it would be, say, if it was part of a pc. Typically, a small or medium sized SSD would be used in a pc to contain your operating system thus helping to provide a fast system, but the pc’s main data will be held on conventional HDDs, thus adopting a cost effective approach.
As for reliability, there is nothing wrong with a HHD unless you abuse it and throw it around, subjecting it to shocks. I have had disks spinning 24/7 in my Synology network drives for years. I have a few portable usb drives and have yet to have one fail. I therefore would suggest you consider the likes of a usb3 2.5” portable drive from a decent manufacturer like Seagate or WD. These portable drives are fairly rugged as they are specifically designed to be carried around.
As said, you need a backup of the backup so that does mean a second drive, or an alternative like cloud storage.
Finally, if your pockets are deep and you were prepared to purchase the likes of a 4TB SSD, you would be far better spending that sort of money on a Network drive, such as the Synology. These come in various formats. I use the twin disk units which essentially keeps my data on one disk, and automatically keeps a mirror image on the second disk, thus providing a very high level of security. With such a unit, if one disk did fail, you just swap out the failed disk with a replacement, and the unit automatically rebuilds the replacement. In my case, the other advantage offered by a network drive is that both my wife and I can access that data from any of the various devices that we use in the house, but these units can be set up to allow access from anywhere If such a facility was required.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
I know nothing about these things, but I have hundreds of pics on my lap top, which I need to sort out.
Could any one recommend what I should get, I am not computer savvy, so it has to be simple.
My Laptop is a Lenovo ideapad 320S 141KB, Windows 10.
Is backing them up in the "cloud" not the best way nowadays?
no need for additional costs for external drives, automatic back up, access to everyone you nominate, and all devices on home network?

4wings

Cloud storage, I used to use Dropbox.

Dingbat

If you see a hard drive as a long-term solution, go for a solid state (SSD) as opposed to a spinny-disk one as they are more reliable.

An alternative is to pay for cloud storage and take them off your machine altogether, with the benefit that you'll be able to access them wherever you are.
Apparently if you don't keep SSDs properly powered up they degrade much quicker.

Cloud is one way - for other reasons I plumped for a Synology and I second Twiss here - buy two disks. after all, redundancy ensures safety!

redundancy.jpg

bonefishblues

Apparently if you don't keep SSDs properly powered up they degrade much quicker.

Cloud is one way - for other reasons I plumped for a Synology and I second Twiss here - buy two disks. after all, redundancy ensures safety!

View attachment 43889
AIUI SSDs do have a finite (but very long) lifespan as the data is written, then overwritten and so on, but in this application I'd suggest that is of little concern.

Dingbat

bonefishblues

Dingbat

What does that mean in practical terms in terms of their endurance/longevity - what is 'much quicker'? Are you saying that SSDs, that we're all rushing to, are a con?
No - I'm saying there is no silver bullet. SSDs are substantially faster and are generally the recommended quick-fix for pepping up an old PC, for instance. They will wear down much faster in heavy read-write situations (i.e. swap partitions for the PC you have just pepped up or the USB drive you use to transfer data.) Unfortunately they, apparently, are not as non-volatile in power-off situations as one might think.

So if your use case is to put them on an external drive which rarely gets turned on, you may want to rethink the use of SSDs in favour of HDDs where speed of access is not particularly important.

My scenario is 2 SSDs mirrored on 2 HDDs. Fast access but 2 * RAID 1 so ultimately an inefficiency that disturbs my inner harmony (I would have bought a 5-bay Synology, had it (the new version) been available at the time.) Photographs therefore on both storage technologies. It runs 24/7.

What just occurred to me is that bit errors on the SSD will be updated to the HDD - need to fix that:mad:

Latest posts