• IMG_20210420_124802.jpg
    IMG_20210420_124802.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 112

iainmortimer

Hook : B130 Kamasan
Thread : Tan 6/0w
CDC Natural grey

I'm Learning so keep Tying.
That’ll certainly catch and is neatly done but the head is quite big.

A wee tip that might help for this and other materials, tie in the CDC with the feather pointing forwards over the eye using just a couple of turns that stop about 1-2mm short of the eye. Then fold the feather back to create the wing, tie it down and build your head. Two benefits of that:
1 There should be no fibres pointing forward that you have to try and tidy up, and
2. Bending the feather back creates a ‘hook’ in the stem and so you need very few wraps to have confidence that it is secure.

Both reduce the amount of thread needed creating a neater finish and reduce the time needed to tie it.

PaulD

What size of fly is that?

The reason I ask is that you list the thread you've used as 6/0 and that's the sort of size I'd use for very large lures.

Two things to consider;

1. Make sure you avoid redundant turns of thread when securing materials.
2. Use a thread size and nature which is appropriate to the size of the fly you're tying.

Perch@1

A wee tip that might help for this and other materials, tie in the CDC with the feather pointing forwards over the eye using just a couple of turns that stop about 1-2mm short of the eye. Then fold the feather back to create the wing, tie it down and build your head. Two benefits of that:
1 There should be no fibres pointing forward that you have to try and tidy up, and
2. Bending the feather back creates a ‘hook’ in the stem and so you need very few wraps to have confidence that it is secure.

Both reduce the amount of thread needed creating a neater finish and reduce the time needed to tie it.
Thanks for your help iaianmortimer, helps me on my learning path.

Neil 🎣

Perch@1

What size of fly is that?

The reason I ask is that you list the thread you've used as 6/0 and that's the sort of size I'd use for very large lures.

Two things to consider;

1. Make sure you avoid redundant turns of thread when securing materials.
2. Use a thread size and nature which is appropriate to the size of the fly you're tying.
Yes PaulD I'll try thread 8/0w and reduce turns, Thank you.

Neil 🎣

PaulD

I thought I'd put these images up, the effect of differing threads of differing construction and size. The hook is the same throughout, a Hayabusa 752 Size 12 Lightweight Sproat and thread has been attached just behind the eye, taken down the shank, back over itself and then whip finished. The first three are multithreads and finished with a six wrap whipfinish . . .
1. Semperfli Nano Silk 20D
Semp 20D.JPG

2. Semperfli Nano Silk 30D
Semp 30D.JPG

3. UTC Ultra Thread 70D
UTC 70D.JPG

The following three are more traditional 'twisted' threads with two, three turn whip finishes. . .
4. Veevus 16/0
Veevus 16.JPG

5. Uni Thread 8/0
Uni 8.JPG

6. Danville's FlyMaster 6/0
Danvilles 6.JPG

7. Pearsall's Silk, 1 three turn whip finish.
Pearsall.JPG

You'll notice that with no material being tied in the size of the 'body' and whipped head is considerably different, even on a size 12, relatively large hook. The differences become more extreme as the hook size decreases and materials are applied. In the first image, Semperfli 20D, the body and head barely exists but the final image of Pearsall's Silk, the thread and head would be key elements of the structure of the 'fly'.

Last edited:

Perch@1

F fly tying has improved a large amount with your and Fly fishing Forum help.

"Improved F fly" betters my Tying, the F fly I tied is still a bit rough, needs tidying up, but have general idea.

Thanks iaianmortimer and forum.

Neil

Attachments

• IMG_20210424_092224.jpg
    IMG_20210424_092224.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20210424_091854.jpg
    IMG_20210424_091854.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 28

Latest posts