fake lines

original cormorant

Seems ironic, if they’d only just stuck their own name on them, wouldn’t have been any issues and probably still sold loads.
Many of the big names don’t make their own lines.
Not really - it was because they were branded as Rio and Snowbee that people bought them.
Airflo, Cortlland, Monic, Rio, Scientific Anglers and Scientific Anglers (owned by Orvis) are the only western manufacturers. Northern Sports make most of the branded lines like Shakespeare, Hardy, Snowbeee, Wychwood and Barrio. So the "fake" Snowbee lines were actually genuine - but obviously the Rio ones weren't though they may have been better than the ones made by Rio.

noel

The Loop Opti I got was via miabs from a name from the past " Phil the fish " who got banned for selling lines on here without a trade agreement .

benisa

his story was that the supplier had a big cancelled order from loop as the lines did not came not up to their standard

must dig mine out

ohanzee

The Loop Opti I got was via miabs from a name from the past " Phil the fish " who got banned for selling lines on here without a trade agreement .

I can't remember how this worked out, is it just a normal Loop Opti that Loop didn't get?

Hardrar

Not really - it was because they were branded as Rio and Snowbee that people bought them.
Airflo, Cortlland, Monic, Rio, Scientific Anglers and Scientific Anglers (owned by Orvis) are the only western manufacturers. Northern Sports make most of the branded lines like Shakespeare, Hardy, Snowbeee, Wychwood and Barrio. So the "fake" Snowbee lines were actually genuine - but obviously the Rio ones weren't though they may have been better than the ones made by Rio.
If they are branded Rio or Snowbee its a very decent reason NOT to buy them - high priced and extremely poor performance- wiry memory and tips don’t float on running water, noisy through the rings, which tells me they are wearing the rings. The weights are often wrong too, if I buy a #5 I don’t want a #6+ and in some cases the other way (underweight)
I find it odd that the Snowbee lines are like this when other brands made by the same mill are supple and float better. They are ok ish in Stillwater, but poor on running water. I don’t mind paying £40-£100 for a line if it performs, but not when it doesn’t. Fishing performance is more critical than casting performance- a line needs to track the profile of the water surface, not curl below it and I need to be able to to throw slack into a cast to prevent drag and it still lay flat, not curl beneath. Some lines sound like sandpaper on wood running through the rings- which is awful and very wearing on the rings.

Last edited:

noel

I can't remember how this worked out, is it just a normal Loop Opti that Loop didn't get?
Alan , Mark was led to believe that Phil bought them from telewatcher in bulk and Phil was trying to flog them on here but didn't have a trade account with the forum .

benisa

If they are branded Rio or Snowbee its a very god reason NOT to buy them - high priced and extremely poor performance- wiry memory and tips don’t float on running water, noisy through the rings, which tells me they are wearing the rings. The weights are often wrong too, if I buy a #5 I don’t want a #6+ and in some cases the other way (underweight)
I find it odd that the Snowbee lines are like this when other brands made by the same mill are supple and float better. They are ok ish in Stillwater, but poor on running water. I don’t mind paying £40-£100 for a line if it performs, but not when it doesn’t. Fishing performance is more critical than casting performance- a line needs to track the profile of the water surface, not curl below it and I need to be able to to throw slack into a cast to prevent drag and it still lay flat, not curl beneath. Some lines sound like sandpaper on wood running through the rings- which is awful and very wearing on the rings.
Unfortunately like a lot things in fishing you pay for the name, as we all know there are loads: lines: rods: jackets out there that match and some even better than what the name people sell

they are all working on over 150 % profit or more

but lot people like to know they are buying a brand

ohanzee

If they are branded Rio or Snowbee its a very decent reason NOT to buy them - high priced and extremely poor performance- wiry memory and tips don’t float on running water, noisy through the rings, which tells me they are wearing the rings. The weights are often wrong too, if I buy a #5 I don’t want a #6+ and in some cases the other way (underweight)

I have had a dozen or so Snowbee lines going back to pre XS days, and a number of Rio lines, both have been at the top end of good, aftm weights consistently spot on and head profiles that do as designed, I have also had dozens of small company runs from the same factory as Snowbee and they can vary in quality of coating and head profiles can be hit and miss.

garysmithflyfish

Pro Member

Hardrar

I find the Snowbee a bit like High tensile wire and about as buoyant, very rough / noisy through the rings too, nasty to use. Not good on running water. Not a line I favour.

Elwyman

I find the Snowbee a bit like High tensile wire and about as buoyant, very rough / noisy through the rings too, nasty to use. Not good on running water. Not a line I favour.
I used Snowbee XS line for years, the nicest most supple lines I've used. Had one bad one which was changed without question. Funny how views can differ.

Scotty Mitchell

I’ve used Snowbee and Rio lines on still water for nearly 30 years and on running water also for nearly 10 of those. In between I have tried many, many other cheaper lines from the same factories presumably, that have all been inferior in some way.
The #3 XS or Rio Trout LT are the best floating river lines I have had hands down. The Rio probably just edges it.

Cap'n Fishy

Unfortunately like a lot things in fishing you pay for the name, as we all know there are loads: lines: rods: jackets out there that match and some even better than what the name people sell

they are all working on over 150 % profit or more

but lot people like to know they are buying a brand

A mate of mine owned a tackle shop in the 90s. The rep for Hardy's told him that there wasn't a fly line that cost more than £2 to manufacture, and that after that it was all down to marketing. (Add inflation, post 1990s.)

Col

Hardrar

A mate of mine owned a tackle shop in the 90s. The rep for Hardy's told him that there wasn't a fly line that cost more than £2 to manufacture, and that after that it was all down to marketing. (Add inflation, post 1990s.)

Col
Couldn’t agree more, I sold a reel recently with an £8 “ mill end” Redditch made #5 line on it, the buyer asked me what the hell it was, as he had never cast or fished anything as good in 40 years and said it blew Rio and other expensive lines away. He was so dejected when I told him what it was.
I find a lot of expensive lines have far too long a front taper on them with too fine a tip- Very slow to load and why they sink, just not enough cross section.
your right 99% of the marketing hype is BS. Those fancy magazine full page ads? Who’s paying those eh?? Us of course- in the over inflated prices!

benisa

Just wonder how many of the brand name lines are made this side on the water : would think not a lot even with the big boys far east is there choice for the ££ or $$ sign

:cool:

ohanzee

Couldn’t agree more, I sold a reel recently with an £8 “ mill end” Redditch made #5 line on it, the buyer asked me what the hell it was, as he had never cast or fished anything as good in 40 years and said it blew Rio and other expensive lines away. He was so dejected when I told him what it was.
I find a lot of expensive lines have far too long a front taper on them with too fine a tip- Very slow to load and why they sink, just not enough cross section.
your right 99% of the marketing hype is BS. Those fancy magazine full page ads? Who’s paying those eh?? Us of course- in the over inflated prices!

Some lines very good quality lines(Wulff TT) for example, come with a long tip that you cut to the length you need, just takes a pair of scissors, better to have too much than too little, I like the full length tip.