fake lines

tenet

Just wonder how many of the brand name lines are made this side on the water : would think not a lot even with the big boys far east is there choice for the ££ or $$ sign

:cool:
More than you would imagine - see up post for those who use Northern Sports as the OEM. They are based in Bromsgrove and use the old Shakespear facility for manufacture.

original cormorant

More than you would imagine - see up post for those who use Northern Sports as the OEM. They are based in Bromsgrove and use the old Shakespear facility for manufacture.
I think an important factor is if you want to design and tune your own taper it's probably easier to deal with a "local" manufacturer than one on the other side of the planet. Northern Sports also have a plant in Canada so private label brands in North America may also favour their "local" maker.

suzuki15hp

Seems that I also bought one - and it was the best floater I have had. As others have said, I wish they were still available at £20 a pop. I'd buy them, whatever the name on the packet.

Col
If it was one of the "fake brands" which came out Northern Sport, they were made on the old Shakespeare machinery, operated by the same staff in the same town.

The lines were essentially a Shakespeare Worcestershire construction, with the profile and colour modified to match the "fake brands". They were already, legitimately, manufacturing and selling lines to proprietary brands, designed to their colour and profile.

After the court case, Northern Sport moved production to their headquarters in Canada. I don't know if they have re-instated production back in the UK.

Cap'n Fishy

If it was one of the "fake brands" which came out Northern Sport, they were made on the old Shakespeare machinery, operated by the same staff in the same town.

The lines were essentially a Shakespeare Worcestershire construction, with the profile and colour modified to match the "fake brands". They were already, legitimately, manufacturing and selling lines to proprietary brands, designed to their colour and profile.

After the court case, Northern Sport moved production to their headquarters in Canada. I don't know if they have re-instated production back in the UK.

The line I bought was a Guideline 4 Cast, bought off eBay from a renowned angler and TV personality. I paid £20 for it. It was a superb line. When I went to buy another, they were all gone and, looking elsewhere for it, they were suddenly £60! That's all I know about it.

Col

Hardrar

Some lines very good quality lines(Wulff TT) for example, come with a long tip that you cut to the length you need, just takes a pair of scissors, better to have too much than too little, I like the full length tip.

I’ve tried this a few times myself and it seems to upset the turnover balance of the line and “flip” the leader over too quickly. I fish a lot of our local fast water becks and these fine tipped stiffer lines get dragged under which spooks the Wild fish. It’s the difference between a skunked day and a bagful.

ohanzee

I’ve tried this a few times myself and it seems to upset the turnover balance of the line and “flip” the leader over too quickly. I fish a lot of our local fast water becks and these fine tipped stiffer lines get dragged under which spooks the Wild fish. It’s the difference between a skunked day and a bagful.

If the leader is flipping over too quick the tip is too short, the solution is really just cut less of it off.

Hardrar

Some lines very good quality lines(Wulff TT) for example, come with a long tip that you cut to the length you need, just takes a pair of scissors, better to have too much than too little, I like the full length tip.

I’ve tried this a few times myself and it seems to upset the turnover balance of the line and “flip” the leader over too quickly. I fish a lot of our local fast water becks and these fine tipped stiffer lines get dragged under which spooks the Wild fish. It’s the difference between a skunked day and a bagful.x
If the leader is flipping over too quick the tip is too short, the solution is really just cut less of it off.
i find it has little effect for so long, snipping off bits, then goes over too much- I’d rather just buy a line that is balanced right out of the box. The old Redditch lines were great for this.

ohanzee

I’ve tried this a few times myself and it seems to upset the turnover balance of the line and “flip” the leader over too quickly. I fish a lot of our local fast water becks and these fine tipped stiffer lines get dragged under which spooks the Wild fish. It’s the difference between a skunked day and a bagful.x

i find it has little effect for so long, snipping off bits, then goes over too much- I’d rather just buy a line that is balanced right out of the box. The old Redditch lines were great for this.

I'm not sure that exists with any precision, although most will tolerate something close, add a bit more leader butt and so on, truth is lines are clipped less precisely than we would like to imagine, buying lines in a search to find one that just works is an expensive and time consuming way to go, its the most complex bit of any outfit, and largely a mystery to most....if you ask fly fishermen what the head length of their line is most wouldn't know, yet it is the thing we cast and fish with.

Why does it sound like I'm on a rant :D

Hardrar

What’s the view on loops bonded onto the end??? Some are just doubled back line welded on and must upset the balance, others are super neat tiny little mono loops more like a hook eye and very useable. I tend to pass a 16 lb 5’ length of Kamoufil up the fly line maybe 5-8mm, then out through the side and secure with a five turn clinch knot.
This is pretty neat and lasts the duration of the line and seals the end. Gives a seamless turnover with no hinge or wake. I utilise a 1mm tippet ring to attach leader/tippet to 5 turn grinner knot sealed with a tiny bit of Deer creek fine UV resin. I often find a tiny clear size 20 or smaller attached as a dropper on just a couple of inches of tippet to the ring, can be deadly, where more than a single fly is allowed. Silver hooks work best here.

ohanzee

What’s the view on loops bonded onto the end??? Some are just doubled back line welded on and must upset the balance, others are super neat tiny little mono loops more like a hook eye and very useable. I tend to pass a 16 lb 5’ length of Kamoufil up the fly line maybe 5-8mm, then out through the side and secure with a five turn clinch knot.
This is pretty neat and lasts the duration of the line and seals the end. Gives a seamless turnover with no hinge or wake. I utilise a 1mm tippet ring to attach leader/tippet to 5 turn grinner knot sealed with a tiny bit of Deer creek fine UV resin. I often find a tiny clear size 20 or smaller attached as a dropper on just a couple of inches of tippet to the ring, can be deadly, where more than a single fly is allowed. Silver hooks work best here.

I went through a phase of welding my own loops, they are convenient and look cool, but for the job in hand they suck, I now use a Whitlock glue join and it is a completely seamless transition, only knot is on the fly.