Farmed Salmon Off the Menu

JoeOh

I do not know how the term "farming' can ever be used to describe such a destructive and toxic process. Every single process/item from the production of fish feed, infestation to waste removal, a blight on the environment. These pens have to be relocated to land and totally contained. Then, they might be entitled to describe it as farming. but even then, none of the product would ever near my plate.

sightbob

With all thats going on re Salmon farming.
I assume inland trout farms must produce a certain amount of the same waste, how do they treat
or purify water before its drained off. Do they use similar chemicals and foods?

JoeOh

With all thats going on re Salmon farming.
I assume inland trout farms must produce a certain amount of the same waste, how do they treat
or purify water before its drained off. Do they use similar chemicals and foods?
Interesting point. Hope to glean a bit more on here from those in the know.
I would think that chemical use would be minimised as no sea lice, and no huge Asian market to satisfy.

esk

As disgusting as the product is, we still allow some of it to be marketed as "Organic." Farce.

JoeOh

From the Web....
The only real difference is that “organic” salmon is stocked in open net cages at a lower density. ... “Organic” salmon farmers still use all the same chemicals, including lice treatments, thus killing other crustaceans in the vicinity.
Compared with wild salmon, standard farmed salmon has much higher levels of PCBs and other man-made pollutants, and there's no evidence that organic farmed salmon are any better in this regard. So, compared with standard farmed salmon, “organic” farmed salmon are not substantially healthier to eat.

Latest posts