Farmoor Report

Royston

Farmoor 11 is fishing well with very few blanks being recorded, the water level is down at the moment making the bank fishing a lttle tricky but there are anti slip mats avaialable for those who would like them. One of our season ticket holders landed a fin perfect 8lb 5oz beauty from a boat this week and several 4lb plus have come to minky's fished on intermediate and fast sink lines. we are continuing to stock througout the winter and the fish are packing on the weight munching on the fry. The rod average has been 2.5+ this week. The old Farmoor 1 lake is scheduled to re-open as a catch and release water at the begining of April 08. Fishing from the bank with a limited number of anglers per day. There are a few changes for Farmoor 2, day tickets are available in 8, 6, 4 and 2 fish limits (some have seasonal restrictions) we ask that all brown trout caught at any time of the year are returned unless injured by deep hooking. Don't forget the Christmas Charity Match is on Sunday 9th profits are to be donated to a fund to purchase a 'Wheely Boat'. 8am for breakfast roll and hot drink. Then fish from 10-4 followed by wiegh in and prizes and buffet, the bar is also open. Brave the weather and Come and have a go we are open all year through now and the boat fishing is excelent in the winter months.:D

Last edited:

Rivereden

Why is Funding needed

Hi Royston

Can i just ask a simple question about:

You state that the funds from the charity match will go toward funding a wheelie boat...........

Surely Thames Water should be made to fund a wheelie boat as this otherwise would be discriminative toward disabled anglers. I am sure with all the profits from Thames Water they can shell out a few quid for a boat to help the less abled anglers ???????????

Looking forward to the reply

Rivereden

Last edited:

gunner100

Wheelie Boat

Rivereden,

I understand where you are coming from, but the participants were presumably aware that they would be contributing to a Wheely Boat for the disabled. Well done to them for their contribution to disabled anglers.

We cannot at this stage be aware what if anything Thames Water may be contributing. A great effort by those participating!

Rivereden

Gunner 100

I could not agree more. Well done to those who took part and made a fantastic contribution.:)

Sadly Thames Water have put nothing yet toward the collection.:(

The point that i am trying to make is the average guy on the street has dug deep and put in his or her contribution, shouldnt Thames Water look to place a few quid in the pot as a good will gesture toward the people who need the wheelie boat.:confused: :mad:

I hope that Royston can make us all aware on the answer to this question as i did actually ask him the question and not you.............

Royston

Rivereden

Thanks for your question and I hope you find my reply acceptable. As with all ventures, the way in which they are viewed by others is not always as you would wish. My response does not represent any official view of Thames Water and I write on this forum as an individual.

Each year Farmoor holds a Christmas Match and any monies raised after the costs of running it, are offered to a considered cause. This year it was felt that as Farmoor does not have a wheelie boat, we as the Ranger team should try and get one.

Unfortunately the association of the wealth of Thames Water and the running of the Trout fishery is all too often mentioned in the same breath.

The contruction of the reservoir many years ago was for the containment of water for processing into drinking water, all other activities which take place on the water create an increased cost and therefore have to make their own financial contribution to the use of the water.

The income that is produced by the fishery does not cover it's own running costs and is already subsidised by Thames Water.

Thames Water makes huge financial contributions to conservation, disabilty access, fisheries etc. The available funds only go so far and at the end of the day we as a fishery must run as a business and try and contribute sufficiant funds to be able to continue as a fishery.

In addition to their continuous contributions the TW contribution to the Charity match was to allow all the monies raised on the day to go to the wheelie boat fund and not take the £300+ cost of fish caught and removed on the day.

I can give you my assurance that if the oportunity to raise funds from any source is made available to me I shall grab it with both hands and not wait for the 'Someone else should help brigade' to turn up. I'm not going to wait around while the three wise men 'Anybody'. 'Somebody' and 'Nobody' decide to have a meeting. I am going to get on with what needs doing. I was thrilled to see that others had raised nearly 200K to provide a new pontoon and disabled lift to be placed on Farmoor reservoir in 2008.

Perhaps the quickest thing to have done would have been to thank all those concerned personally and not used this forum.

Anyway I hope I have put our efforts into perspective and we will of course welcome any further contributions including those from Thames Water.

Royston
(Farmoor Ranger)

Rivereden

Royston

Well written and very clearly spelt out. I can now see exactly what why and when to the questions that i have asked you as an individual to answer.

I will certainly look forward to renewing my season ticket as i have done for some 20 years.

Can i thank you and the other Rangers on behalf of many people who regularly use the facilities at Farmoor.

I was not meant to be a personal dig, more like a prompt from me to Thames and the people there to realise that there is a very small minority of people who would dearly love to be fishing if only the correct facilities were in place for them to do so. I am of course talking about the less abled than you or I.

Good luck with the future ventures and see you all too soon.

Rivereden